When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT-Master II Ceramic Bezel

AllergyDoc

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something interesting.

The GMT hand cannot be adjusted.

When I pull the crown out to the 2nd position and attempt to adjust the GMT hand, the hour hand moves. Turning the crown the opposite direction changes the date.

The date clicks over when the hour hand moves to 12 a.m.

Doc, thank You for the pics. It looks great. I am happy that I have ordered one a couple of days ago.

The green sticker has to go ;) It reads 16710, the gmt-ii model number, instead of 116710, the gmt-c m#. I think rolex stopped adding green stickers in the latest years.

Wear it well.

Here's something interesting.

The GMT hand cannot be adjusted.

When I pull the crown out to the 2nd position and attempt to adjust the GMT hand, the hour hand moves. Turning the crown the opposite direction changes the date.

The date clicks over when the hour hand moves to 12 a.m.

Hmm....1.) Sound like they really upgrade the movement; from what I knew about the "Old Correct Hand Stack" 2836 movement. The date change NOT follow the hour hand rather than GMT hand. 2.) On Gen movemnt; 3rd position is use to adjust the "GMT & Minutes". If your GMTIIc is work like that; than the movement had been modified 100% like Gen

Correct me if I'm wrong

P.S: So what do think about the bezel? Is it real ceramic or PVD coated? Also; the fonts on bezel is White or grey?

A million THX for your photos; I had waiting for this a whole week already!

Best Regards,

Raymond

the hour hand should jump an hour when you adjust it, not the gmt hand... maybe the new rolex movement is different... but im pretty sure its not...

Now that I've fiddled with it for a few minutes, I see that the hour hand does jump when I set it. The GMT hand does not jump hour-to-hour, though.

Josh's description must be incorrect, then.

So what do think about the bezel? Is it real ceramic or PVD coated? Also; the fonts on bezel is White or grey?

The bezel appears to be a thin layer of ceramic. I could be wrong.

The fonts appear gray to me.

Sadly, now that I've fiddled with the watch for a half and hour, it seems to have stopped running. :(

Now that I've fiddled with it for a few minutes, I see that the hour hand does jump when I set it. The GMT hand does not jump hour-to-hour, though.

Josh's description must be incorrect, then.

No..No..No..On Gen Rolex GMT 3rd position is adjust the GMT + Minutes hand together. Only 2nd position the Hour hand will jump per hour (Forgot Cloxkwise or Anti-CW); also the date adjust by opposite direction according the GMT!!

Best Regards,

Raymond

The bezel appears to be a thin layer of ceramic. I could be wrong.

The fonts appear gray to me.

Sadly, now that I've fiddled with the watch for a half and hour, it seems to have stopped running. :(

NO....Stop running? Have you manually wind it? :o

Best Regards,

Raymond

GMT hand should not jump, the hour hand should. When you move the minute hand around, the GMT hand should follow the minute hand, in the same manner than an hour hand follows the minute hand on a non-GMT watch.

Yes, that's exactly how it works.

But it's quit running!

From what allerygydoc has said it seems that the movement is just the same old modified ETA 2836 with correct hand stack. THe GMT hand will control the date and the hour hand will function like a GMT hand as its on the bottom of the stack

i dont think there is a jumping GMT hand on the rep modified ETA 2836, it just moves in a smooth motion when you change the time.

the ETA 2893 movements 'jump'

Doc what actually happens when you change the time?

do the hands move smoothly or does the GMT hand or hour hand jump per hour when you change th time?

The GMT hand should not jump. On a gen GMT, you set the GMT hour hand to whatever timezone you want by adjusting the time manually and the GMT hand will follow smoothly at a ratio of 1:2. The 24 hour bezel corresponds to the GMT hand so it will move 1 hour for every hour that the regular hour hand moves (i.e. if you want to set the GMT hand + 4 hrs, you will move the regular hand +4 hours but the GMT hand will move half of that distance so it corresponds to +4 hrs on the 24 hr bezel. Once you set the GMT time to +4 hrs you set the hour hand to TDC or 12:00 using the crown and making it jump 1 hour at a time without changing the GMT position. Then set the time as you normally would but the GMT hand will be exactly 4 hours ahead at all times from that point forward. This is exactly how the gen works.

I got an email comfirming that this initial batch was custom made for Josh and Andrew by the factory and nobody else has them. There will be no more correct handstack with correct GMT hand function! So those of you that got one.... keep your fingers crossed. If the movement is good, you will have a definite keeper!