When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GPF Mod Dep buckles.. a little history and inventory with many photos

V

Very cool review V, thanks for sharing and great pictures to show the different versions. :good: I don't have any of those buckles, they seemed too pricey to me for what you got, especially when the reps started to roll out it caused too much confusion. Kind of like the OEM deployments and how expensive they were until the reps came out and then every time you see a deployment FS you have to winder if it's OEM or rep. ;)

Very cool review V, thanks for sharing and great pictures to show the different versions. :good: I don't have any of those buckles, they seemed too pricey to me for what you got, especially when the reps started to roll out it caused too much confusion. Kind of like the OEM deployments and how expensive they were until the reps came out and then every time you see a deployment FS you have to winder if it's OEM or rep. ;)

Thanks my friend... I understand why they banned them from Psti.. Everything started when your friend E started to produce his own rep version. Have to give him credit though that at least he said that they were repros :p

Btw can I have the XXL strap please? I won't stop asking until you say yes :lol:

Here is a nice closeup of my buckle:

DSC02045.jpg

DSC02048.jpg

Hey V,

You never replied to my thread on the other forum. I showed some pics of the so called Strapmasters GPF, attached to Big Egiziano's in the collection of Panerai in Italy. So while your list is a great starting point, it is not comprehensive. Your thoughts?

Apparently from some private emails from respectable vintage collectors and people with extensive knowledge of Panerai history, in this photo there is a rep buckle restitched on a vintage strap.

Don't ask me why but if we won't have the back of the strap to see if it has been tampered or not this photo proves nothing defacto.

• 3 weeks later...

Great reading, thanks V! I can't believe I missed it until now.

Mod Dep stands for "Modello Depositato" -- sort of "Registered Trademark" in Italian.

I subscribe to TeeJay thoughts.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good informative post

Gen buckles also were 1.5mm thick- most of the copies are 2mm

Iir the genesis of the prev are modded verstions of he gen 26mm gpf buckle- they were sewn in but had the ends manually curved in to fit curvature of strap better.

Elias and timeband do really accurate 2mm thick versions of these buckles at the moment- i have a few straps with these and compression-fit lug bars and you can really see why they were used for military timepieces!