When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A7750 in my new Ice Bang stops on the winder

doc savage

My winder holds two watches vertically. It rotates clockwise for one minute, pauses for an adjustable interval, then rotates counter-clockwise for one minute. What I think is happening is the watch is unwinding itself somehow: if I look at the rotor through the caseback it spins rapidly counterclockwise at the slightest movement, almost turns on its own, but it hesitates to turn clockwise.

So every couple of days I find it dead in the winder, if I pick it up and shake it it will start again. Is there something I can do or must it go back to the dealer?

the 7750 only winds in one direction (the one where it does not spin freely) i found that my IWC Porto had the same problem, if you can set your winder to only rotate in one direction that suits the 7750 and any 28XX movements will also be fine as they wind in both directions. If you still have the problem buy you own copy of "Debbie Does dallas" and retire to the den daily.

The winder I have will only turn in both directions. So it winds itself, then unwinds itself going the other way? That doesn't sound right. How would wearing it be any different?

It surely is not right. I found the same problem with a 28k A7750 in a 196 that came from Josh -- rotor can spin in both directions, and nicely unwinds itself when wearing it, this has nothing to do with your winder. I suspect a batch of these movements has this fault -- I solved it by removing the rotor and winding it manually, surprisingly other then this issue the movement works perfectly (I managed to adjust it to +/- 20sec per day, and the power reserve is over 48h).

It surely is not right. I found the same problem with a 28k A7750 in a 196 that came from Josh -- rotor can spin in both directions, and nicely unwinds itself when wearing it, this has nothing to do with your winder. I suspect a batch of these movements has this fault -- I solved it by removing the rotor and winding it manually, surprisingly other then this issue the movement works perfectly (I managed to adjust it to +/- 20sec per day, and the power reserve is over 48h).

So should I ask Silix to take it back? It does seem to be malfunctioning.

hi,

I have 7 A7750 based reps.

You have to set it to turn anti-clockwise. If it turns both directions only, the real problem might be that the time it turns anti-clockwise is not enough to insure enough power-reserve. I can't see it unwinding itself, as you would have the same problem while wearing it on your wrist. Actually I don't think it's possible to unwind a movement.

It spins so quickly in one direction as it's "free-wheel" in this direction. Nothing but normal.

I would not return the watch before having tried it on a winder that allow an anti-clockwise movement.

Regular manual winding of an automatic movement is not advised.

hi,

You have to set it to turn anti-clockwise. If it turns both directions only, the real problem might be that the time it turns anti-clowkwise is not enough to insure enough power-reserve. I can't see it unwinding itself, as you would have the same problem while wearing it on your wrist.

It spins so quickly in one direction as it's "free-wheel" in this direction. Nothing but normal.

I would not return the watch before having tried it on a winder that allow an anti-clockwise movement.

I don't wind it by hand whatsoever. If I find it stopped on the winder; holding it in my hands and turning it clockwise several times is enough to get it moving again.

I must disagree with your diagnosis. The setting of my winder would have any watch fully wound at all times, no matter which direction it winds. As for "free wheeling", if I hold the watch flat and just tilt it a little, the rotor will spin a dozen or more times counter-clockwise (while viewed from the caseback) as though driven by a spring--with much more force and speed than gravity could possibly provide.

Finally, to clear things up, this watch winds when turned CLOCKWISE as viewed from the dial. This motion moves the rotor clockwise as viewed from the back. It stops whether I am wearing it or if I have it on the winder, as in both conditions it seems to be unwinding itself more than winding.

Yes it's possible that if I bought a winder that can be set to only turn in one direction, it may stay wound; however I would still have the problem while wearing it. I think there is some mechanical problem that is allowing the rotor to "unwind" the watch.

Again, my winder holds the watch in a vertical position and turns 360 degrees in about four seconds. It winds clockwise for two minutes, pauses for twenty, then counterclockwise for two minutes. The only adjustment is the pause interval, which can be extended to 40 minutes or one hour.

a7750 just winds counter-clockwise,

if your winder is alternating between counter and clockwise, the movement will not be wound,

either wear the watch more, or get a winder that has variable modes (can do counter exclusively, clockwise and both)

Finally, to clear things up, this watch winds when turned CLOCKWISE as viewed from the dial.

I'm afraid we have a problem, then, as it should not. :) Or maybe we are (or I am) lost with the directions. I'll check now my winder.

[Edit] Sorry, my winder is set clockwise... :) Forget my useless comment above...

Do you have other 7750s ? And do they wind properly ?

a7750 just winds counter-clockwise,

if your winder is alternating between counter and clockwise, the movement will not be wound,

What sense does that make? When you wear it you are not going to be turning in only one direction. I'm not a watchmaker but I think a ratchet that only allows the motion of the rotor to wind the mainspring and not unwind it is a pretty obvious feature.

I have been wearing it every day now, it still stops, I can hold it up, turn the whole watch CLOCKWISE (while I am facing the dial, stay with me here people) several turns and it will start up again.

Let me add another thing here. My Aquaracer sits together with my TAG Link in the winder so they both wind together. Both are A7750's and the Link stays wound where the Aquaracer runs out of "juice". I personally think I have a somewhat bad movement and like I said I plan to transplant an ETA 7750 into it. The movement was serviced by The Zigmeister when it was modded.

My winder sucks, but I have the same problem with multiple A7750 movements.

Not a big deal to mean I don't use the winder and keep emin a watch box and set the timewhen I am ready to wear. Have too many watches for my 2 watch winder anyway.

I would not consider your issue a "returnable"issue, just my $.02

If itstops on your wrist that would be different.

Cheers,

M

hi,

You have to set it to turn anti-clockwise. If it turns both directions only, the real problem might be that the time it turns anti-clockwise is not enough to insure enough power-reserve. I can't see it unwinding itself, as you would have the same problem while wearing it on your wrist. Actually I don't think it's possible to unwind a movement.

counter clockwise... agree .. or you could just wear it..

As I already mentioned:

It DOES stop on my wrist. It will start up again when turned clockwise several times, causing the rotor to turn clockwise when viewed through the caseback.

Turning the watch clockwise winds it. Yea verily, when turned in the direction of a clock so the movement is caused to be wound. If anyone is still confused, the top of the watch dial is caused to move to the right, while the bottom moves to the left, and this motion winds this watch. Clockwise.

The winder should be doing a lot better job of winding it than the random motions of wearing it.

So return it ? :)

The way you describe how it is set in the winder does not allow doubts anymore : winder goes clockwise, which rewinds the 7750 anticlockwise. Again, some winders do not move long enough for some of our movements, but the fact that it stops on your wrist is indeed very preoccupying.

I had one watch like this, that was my B&M Riviera. I was about to return it, but ended in lubricating the center of the rotor (a micro-drop), and that solved my problem. Maybe I was just lucky ? But as your movement obviously works well when wound manually, it's a good indication that only the rotor has an issue.

My winder holds two watches vertically. It rotates clockwise for one minute, pauses for an adjustable interval, then rotates counter-clockwise for one minute. What I think is happening is the watch is unwinding itself somehow: if I look at the rotor through the caseback it spins rapidly counterclockwise at the slightest movement, almost turns on its own, but it hesitates to turn clockwise.

So every couple of days I find it dead in the winder, if I pick it up and shake it it will start again. Is there something I can do or must it go back to the dealer?

Hey Doc a few weeks ago i had the same baffling problem as you with the winder proper direction :unsure: This is my post dated back from the 21st of May.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=74399

I hope it will be of great assistance to you...It solved my problem though :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by nasosn

• 1 year later...