When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

pam196

richard_uk

Hi folks, how do you tell if a 196 is the older (more sought after) type? I got one for a friend a few years ago and it's died, he's not realy into them enough to spend on having repaired, but I said I'd see if I (if it's the older type) could maybe swap it for something that works.

Rich.

You know I'm still trying to figure out how to tell the old version from new myself. I think I've got that down but am still trying to figure out how to tell the difference between the old version that will work for a 7753 mvt and the regular old version. Kruzer and a few others know these really well and could probably tell you what to look for. If this is one that would work for a 7753 swap and you could confirm it I'd be interested. Already have a 7753 mvt sitting here. I have a new version 196 in great shape and running well that I would swap for one that I could use for a 7753 project.

Hi Stephane, I never really go away, I just lurk in the background occasionally :)

Right.. I couldn't find my photos of the watch but I did find this box shot which has the watch in it, according to properties, this pic was taken on 06/08/05.

boxpichl7.jpg

If I remember correctly, it has got to do with printing on the bezel?

Caseback maybe different too. I have a G1128/1200 (recently bought). At that time, they don't use the G series, no? Anyway, this one is for pictures. Please let me know what are the differences too. I am very interested. Maybe the DW printing also? The newer one comes with much bolder font. I have heard that the old version has low beat Asian 7750 too.

I have check the movement retainer ring. There is not "extender" for date pusher so this piece can't have ETA7753 transplanted.

P6012100.jpg

P6012086.jpg

Bruce, can you post a profile shot like this one from Richard:

p1180432te6.jpg

The old cases used thicker bezels with a double radius on the edge. You can see it really well where the crown is reflecting on the edge of the bezel. The newer/more incorrect bezels are thinner at the outer edge and lack the double radius....

Ah OK! Just seen mine. It's the old case :p with thicker bezel, double radius. Serial is G1128/1200

It seems that this rep may have random serial number. I have seen King's site. It's new version but it has different serial number. I will try to take profile shot tomorrow.

Not that this helps but the new cases are overall lighter in weight. The bezel is the most obvious tell. Here are a couple of pics of an old case.

IMGP1996.jpg

IMGP1991.jpg

The bezel on the old case is more articulated coming off the case (the "v" if you look sideways before it joins the decorated part of the bezel). Because the bezel is more articulated it actually sits "higher" of the case and as a result the spread over the case is not as broad as the newer case. Don't know if this helps.

Couple of other pics - old case and a gen just to show how good they are:

IMGP1206.jpg

162cu2.jpg

IMGP1204.jpg

:lol:

I am not sure about that one. I remember the G version is actually pretty recent. That confirms that this rep has "running serial number".

On this thread alone, I have seen G1200/1200, G1128/1200 (mine) and G0002/1200 (Stephane's).

Stefan's has the number 2 because it was #2 (from Honpo). Both the 188 and 196's I have owned over the years were from the first production run. Those were the cases that came with it. On the Panda's I had to swap cases. They both had fairly obvious numbers (400/1200 or whatever). A number of the asian versions had no serial numbers. Then there were a whole bunch with even 100 serial numbers. They vary all over the map so the number is unlikely to be a guidance on a watch unless it is an odd number or low number.

Stefan-

That watch has never looked so good. Stunning pictures.