When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If they can make the Ultimate GMT II, when can we see some "true" ultimate Rollies ?!?!?

triplehd

Ever Sub that has ever been created has some type of flaw, ranging from the rehault, cyclop mag, dial print, etc. With the rave reviews and comparisons of the new GMT II, can we finally hope that they will create a true Ultmate Sub or other ultimate Rollies ?!?!?

Just curious......

Guest carlsbadrolex

Is it possible that the "ultimate GMT II" was nothing more than a chance alignment of the stars and that it could never be replicated or the process duplicated? I have just ordered mine, for I fear V2.0 will not be even close to the same!

If you build a Datejust 16200 series franken, an ETA 2824-2 will fit in there just fine. The real 16200 has a 3135 movement. The same 3135 goes in the Submariner. So with proper rehaut, crown position, 295C crystal, WM9 type bezel assembly and a 2824-2, you would think that it would be fairly simple to build a damn good Sub rep case! Noobmariner dial, bracelet and a gen bezel insert (or even a good watchmaterial/wholesaleoutlet one) and you are there. We've seen the Rolex crown and tube being accurately copied in the last 4-6 months (on the SSD for example). So maybe we're not too far away.

I guess in the mean time, I'll keep wearing my noob- it's a great WR beater with a gen crown and better pearl. It's the watch on the right in this pic:

attachment=23338:CIMG3474_cropped.JPG]post-175-1212445945_thumb.jpg

I would venture to speculate (and hope) that we will see some of the new Rolex models that were released at Basel replicated very well. I hope to see the larger day dates as well as the new submariner. I am not sure if the factories will ever buy one of these for a 1:1 replication because of the cost factor, but with the recent improvements in quality I think they should get pretty close.

As far as the submariner goes, this is a fairly mundane watch that I am tired of looking at. I only have one two tone sub in my collection that I have kept and it is about 5 years old. I like the new styling they showed at Basel with the bigger case and ceramic bezel. I hope the makers have plans for these.

Is it possible that the "ultimate GMT II" was nothing more than a chance alignment of the stars and that it could never be replicated or the process duplicated? I have just ordered mine, for I fear V2.0 will not be even close to the same!

CBR you just ordered today? I've been told that they are out.

Guest carlsbadrolex
CBR you just ordered today? I've been told that they are out.

I ordered it Saturday.

I think its funny to hear that the factories wont buy a gen to use as a model... One dealer just sold 130 watches in less than 2 weeks. The gen retail price is under $8k. How many watches do they need to manufacturer and sell to recoup that investment? I bet its already paid for!!!!

Guest acg2010

Hell...to recoup the costs, across the 300 watches assuming that Josh and Andrew each sold about 150, which I believe is correct...they'd only need a profit of approx 27 bucks a watch over the actual manufacturing cost...

We can be assured their profit was well more than this...Thus deduct out the 27 bucks a watch, and you have their true profit...so clearly you don't need to sell many watches, with very much of a profit margin to recoup the cost of a gen, which can then be sold on the second-hand market for damn near what it cost new anyways...

Would make sense to get a hold of the DSSD to rep a 1:1. Unlike the potentially bad CHS movement in the GMT...you could use a 2824-2 as has been mentioned, or even settle on the 2836, and I'd take that beast in a heartbeat...43mm instead of 40, bring it on, lol.