When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tips for buying a replica in Asia

Thor

OK, I may be a newbie in the replica world, but i've been into watches for a while and i've been living in Asia for about 3 years. So I have a reasonable experience in shopping for "nice" cheap things in Asia.

Here's a few tips for the lucky ones out there in, or who are going to Asia where replicas are dirt cheap. You can pick up a mechanical self winding watch (japan movt.) with a steel bracelet for next to nothing (in fairness of watch dealers in this forum, I will not state the price). They're the same ones that are offered on the internet sites for US$200+. But there's a reason why they're so cheap.

Most of these watches have imperfections, sometimes so minor that they're not noticeable. But there are a few things to look out for:

* Check that the main hands are aligned.

One of the things I check first before purchasing. Move the hands at 12 o'clock and make sure they are aligned. Then check the hands on the smaller dials, are they pointing where they're supposed to?

Ie: For watches with a day dial, does the hand point to "SUN" or the dot next to it before "MON"? (You want it pointing to "SUN" or "MON")

* Make sure the numbers and indicators of the dial / dials are in order.

That means watch out for hour indicators that goes (1, 2, 4 , 5 ,6...etc) instead of (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...etc) on the dial. This may seem funny and ridiculous but it's not that funny when it happens to YOU. I've found 3 watches that are like this at a store one time. This usually occurs with cheaper Chinese made watches, but it still wouldn't hurt checking.

Also, check that the words on the face are accurate, or close to accurate with the brand and model of the watch. You wouldn't want to buy a Patek with the word "Luminor" would you? Or how about a round faced Franck Muller with the words "Master Calendar" but no calendar on the watch at all? The idea of getting a replica is you want it to look at least 90% like real thing, or at least beleiveable to the general public. Silly imperfections like these spoils it a great deal.

* Check the movt.

Some very brave dealers will say the the watch is self-winding where it clearly has a quartz movt. Make sure that the sweep of the second hand is reasonably smooth.

Also for auto-winds, check if the disc weight (rotor) moves at the back of the watch. This is easier with a see-through glass back. I usually listen and feel for the disc weight (rotor) to move if it has a steel back. I saw a beautiful IWC replica yesterday but the rotor was stuck. Pity, I would have bought it.

* Check the date

I bought a Panerai yesterday that goes up to 39 before it resets to 1. So always check before purchasing. But it was so beautiful that I bought it anyway. I can overlook that minor imperfection. I can just reset the date every month as I do with most of my genuine watches anyway.

Of course, you can over look all of these things and just check if the main hands are aligned and that's it. But y'all wouldn't do that would you? Or y'all wouldn't be in this forum.

Experienced replica hunters, please correct me for any errors that I may have stated. Thank you!

:drunk: :thumbsup:

Here's something else I learned travelling in Thailand:

Walking through the marketplace where all the watch stalls are, they'll tell you the police are having a crackdown on copy watches, so "they have to be really careful" (which is odd, because they have hundreds of watches on display). When you have a watch in your hands, they'll suddenly panic and say there's an undercover cop looking at the stall, and force you to put the watch in your pocket. Once you have the watch in your pocket, they turn on the absolute hard sell to get you to buy it, now that it's already in your pocket. They don't want it out in the open again, you see...

Another tip for travellers in Thailand: the watches are cheaper outside Bangkok. Chiang Mai (in the North) was good, as it isn't quite as tourist oriented as Bangkok or the south, but still big enough to have a good range.

The Asian dealers I have purchased from in Taiwan, Malaysia and Singapore will open the back of the higher end "copy watches" for your inspection if you if you ask. They may even offer to in order to help them prove that the quality is high.

It is funny to see the fake store fronts and what it takes for you to convince them that you are not part of a sting. Being caucasian helps.

They may hesitate to include the green serialized hologram on the back of the Rolex copy. I was told that this is because the penalty if they get caught is higher if they carry the holograms. In Singapore, they wouldn't provide these. In Malaysia they don;t seem to mind. My hologram quickly wore off anyway, so I would not push for one next time.

The low weight watches with pot metal bands and battery quartz movements (1 second jumps) are obviously cheap and will only last a few months. Still, they make fun gifts for less than US$8. The top watches may have Seiko movements packed into quality cases. The bands and cases each weigh a lot more than the cheap versions, are self winding and have all of the logos in the right places. I have a couple of beauties that have worked fine for years :thumbsup: that cost $60 to $70 after some serious negotiating. Buying more than one at a time helps.

They may take a sharp object and try to scratch the face to prove it is sapphire. These faces add $10 to the cost and are worth it in my opinion. Warning, Sapphire faces being very brittle may shatter if smacked against something but their beauty lasts and lasts.

Speaking of seconds, the imitation daimonds may not be placed perfectly on the face of mid range watches. Spend some time looking at the watch and consider comparing it to a second or third one for reference.

Fred

Also pls make sure you are ready to buy when you start on haggling about the price.

If not, like in scenario 2, you might get some nasty unwelcomed remark.

I am a Malaysian and those scenario are not uncommon to me. Recently got a YM from Chinatown and the dealer claims it to be swiss movement. Only have less than 1 month's wrist time but will post the pics here soon.

Anyway, other than the CG and the red font issue, the watch looks quite ok. the dealer also claim that the movement is swiss because when you wind the crown, it give a very smooth feeling. Quite different from those paraded on the streets.

Well, paid abt USD 150. plus his personal warranty of 2 years.

Please Sign In or Sign Up