When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Luminor North Pole GMT PAM252 Review

takashi

Excellent write up again my friend!

I have to say, this watch is even nicer in person. It has a feel of quality to it.

BTW, the orientation marks on the bezel can be used to simulate a compass.

You can use a watch to find the north direction if you lost your compass. Just make the hour hand point straight at the sun. Half the angle between hourhand and the 12 o' clock index. This direction is south! (before 6am and after 6pm always take the smaller angle!)

Don't forget to correct your watch during summertime of one hour...

Then align the bezel with the real north direction. Now you can lay it on the map and use it. :idea:

Finally my time with the armed forces pays

• 1 month later...

Super review Taka, hihgly appreciate your time and effort sharing this.

I had the pleasure of put this nice piece on my wrist at our last GTG and it felt awesome...I wanted one...but as I don't like cyclops on watches I called off my order

But it is a great watch to wear

Am I blind or where can I find a dealer selling this one, fell in love =)

Most dealers have this watch. Be careful that there are 2 versions of this watch. The good one only available in rubber. watch out for caseback, cyclop and overall quality on the bezel.

I have one of these from Trusty. Its very well made apart from the crown guard. One mine the crown guard is by far the worst I've ever seen.. truly terrible. I can't understand why as the rest of the watch is very very good.

Happily I have a V "H series" guard specially for this watch. I needed to do some gentle work with a micro file to enlarge the holes by a tiny bit as the holes didn't quite line up perfectly. Also the existing crown is too deep so the lever does not lock. I plan to fit a genuine crown but need a new tube to suit.

Overall it'll be a very nice rep once finished.. but its definitely a project watch

Just one other comment about this rep.. the markers and letters on the bezel are only glued in place, and typical of reps they used crap glue. To make matters worse the edges of the markers are quite rough and catch on clothing etc. I was able to quite easily pull the 4 square markers off with a finger nail.

I suggest therefore re-glueing those with JB-Weld or a similar high strength epoxy. I'm smoothing the edges of all mine as well but its a very fiddly job.

I can see this is really going to be a favorite watch when its all finished.. but its taking quite a lot or work to get there.

Here is an example of the "older" version (Sorry Chris, just an example... that's why it's posted here, not on your for sale thread):

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=78904

Dial is wrong blue colour

Bezel is not as good as the newer one

Datemag is not as good as the newer one

Wrong caseback (Cape Arcticooky) instead of Cape Arctichesky.

Thanks Taka,

I'm not a panarai Expert, these pictures were actually for the client to see if it was the upgraded version it is prior to shipping --with other words no problems because it's not yet left the Source---

Since my client didn't given me the complete details what was the difference...between old and new... I guess we both didn't know...

But I do know NOW and this means I have to source him the upgraded one with the help of your beautiful review. I'm only glad that and wish I was pointed or find this thread earlier.

Tks again, I'm here also to learn, i'm more a rolex expert... But can source basically any watch.

EDIT 5 AUG:

GOT THE UPGRADED VERSION in SS, click here for tons of pics... altho I like Taka pics too, this one is with SS version..

Regards

Chris

Edited by EuroTimez

• 1 year later...

hi takashi, sorry for disturbing, but i was just reading your pam252 rewies, that was really cool, and makes me starting thinking to buy one:)

but i have a little question, you mid know:) you said in your thread there are two versions, good and bad, ok i understand that by the 252, but how can i check it by the 186, are there other differents than the color between 186 and 252, or are they same good?

im asking because i like blue and i like black also very much, and i dont know wich to buy:) if there are differents it would be easier :)

btw i wantet this on 252

https://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=236

and this on 186

https://www.puretimewatch.com/index.php?productID=235

both are the good ones right?

or is there any better submerible outthere?

i know alot of questions, but i want to buy a good watch, and im very new in this, please help me with my desicion, because i learnd by reading your posts here are a real pro;)

and im apologize for waisting your time, but please take a minute and answer me:)

sorry for my english is not that perfect;)

greetings from germany

deniz

• 2 weeks later...

Deniz, in your link, both are the good versions indeed. I have the same versions here.

and about the pictures in the puretime link of the pam0252, the dial is not as blue as in the pictures there. this is due to the color of the AR coating. in real life it is realy dark blue, almost near black.