When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine 08' Superocean Steelfish

RobbieG

I finally had a chance to do this one. As I said in the previous post, I fell in love with this watch by owning the rep first. This was one of those pieces that I passed by at the AD over and over. I had no idea how cool it was until I got the rep. It really is elegant and understated, yet bold and substantial. Such a nice surprise. It took half the day just to clean the watch, but I think the overcast light today did a good job of capturing the essence of the piece. The colors in particular are very accurate for once. Enjoy...

Fish8r.jpg

Fish12r.jpg

Fish6r.jpg

Fish14r.jpg

Fish9r.jpg

Fish7r.jpg

Fish5r.jpg

Fish10r.jpg

Fish15r.jpg

Fish2.jpg

how does the rep feel in comparrison?

Funny you should ask. The rep bracelet edges are actually LESS sharp than the gen. The other thing that stands out is the rounded edges on the rep case. The genuine has sharper lines on the case. That actually is one of the things that makes the gen nicer to me. Other than for bracelets which need to be comfortable, in fine watch making one of the ways makers are judged is in the ability to execute sharp lines with precision. Many times, a mark of a cheap watch is overly rounded case edges which can be a way to hide sloppy manufacturing tolerances.

However, having said all that let's say you gave the Pepsi (no Bytor this is not a GMT thread - LOL - just kidding brother...) challenge to someone who didn't know Breitlings. If you handed them both watches and asked them which was fake while blindfolded, even a lot of watch guys would pic the gen as the fake. Every component of the rep is smoother and overall the rep has a very luxurious feel. Most people equate smooth edges with quality. Not to get off track, but Rolex would be in trouble in any blindfold test with those bracelets. LOL.

Thanks Robbie, the edges were some thing i noticed on my Ingy but with the difference in cost the rep is a total no brainer it is so good, having held and compared the gen SOSF with my rep (white face) again i would say it is a no brainer, if you want a nice reliable watch with out the cost the SOSF is an excelent choice. From what i have seen the build quality is there all the way on this rep. The one problem i have seen with the blue dial rep is the dial does not seam flat enough, it looks like the markers are stamped out from the dial instead of being applied like the gen, do you have rep and gen blue dials, could you post a comparison shot please if you do?

Thanks Robbie, the edges were some thing i noticed on my Ingy but with the difference in cost the rep is a total no brainer it is so good, having held and compared the gen SOSF with my rep (white face) again i would say it is a no brainer, if you want a nice reliable watch with out the cost the SOSF is an excelent choice. From what i have seen the build quality is there all the way on this rep. The one problem i have seen with the blue dial rep is the dial does not seam flat enough, it looks like the markers are stamped out from the dial instead of being applied like the gen, do you have rep and gen blue dials, could you post a comparison shot please if you do?

Yeah the blue is VERY different for sure, but sadly this is not possible as I don't have the rep anymore.

PLEASE make some comparison shots!!! im sure a lot of guys here would appreciate that.

Sorry, but I don't have the rep anymore.

May I suggest downloading the pics from By-Tor's shoot and then doing the same with mine. You could then paste them into a document easily and compare side by side. His shoot is of comparable quality and with similar lighting characteristics. From my experience with the rep his pics are also very accurate color wise which is one of the major differences. In addition, the more rounded case, dial texture, applied marker shape, indices, lume application, etc. are all very clear in his pics:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=45341

No problem, made a comparison here, photos by By-tor and RobbieG

REP REP GEN

reprepgen.jpg

The one thing that had always put me off the blue face it the way the dial seams to be not as flat as the gen where it comes to the markers as you can see on the middle one, does any one have any macro shots that may show this more clearly???

No problem, made a comparison here, photos by By-tor and RobbieG

REP REP GEN

reprepgen.jpg

The one thing that had always put me off the blue face it the way the dial seams to be not as flat as the gen where it comes to the markers as you can see on the middle one, does any one have any macro shots that may show this more clearly???

For the record the gen pic you posted here is mostly the AR. The first rep pic is what it really looks like not the AR. Although in your comparison here they look very similar these two pics don't compare apples to apples. The first really shows the color of the rep dial pretty well which looks nothing like the gen. Although I really do like the deeper blue color of the rep, I just wish it had the texture of the gen. There is an iridecense to the gen that the rep doesn't have. The following pic shows the true look of the gen dial without the AR getting in on it. Sorry to say but for those looking for accuracy the rep dial looks nothing like this in color or texture really and side by side it jumps right out at your in person...

Fish14r.jpg

I am looking at my SOSF with black dial right now and compare to your pics, sorry to say that although the rep is great, this gen looks much better : the dial is amzing , the AR, the sharp edges of the bezel, the bracelet. I think if you put them side by side the rep can be spotted in a second.

Congratulations, wear it well. BTW, how about the weight? is the gen also so heavy weight as the rep? This is what disturbs me most with the SOSF.

I am looking at my SOSF with black dial right now and compare to your pics, sorry to say that although the rep is great, this gen looks much better : the dial is amzing , the AR, the sharp edges of the bezel, the bracelet. I think if you put them side by side the rep can be spotted in a second.

Congratulations, wear it well. BTW, how about the weight? is the gen also so heavy weight as the rep? This is what disturbs me most with the SOSF.

Actaully the gen is just slightly lighter and yes, the watch is very obviously a rep next to the gen - mostly because of the dial execution which is not so great. The rest of the rep watch is pretty great though I must say...

i assume white dial rep does not have such problems..

The color of the whote is perfect although there are still the two slight problems. One is that they all have this iridecence to them Like when you move it from side to side in any light it is alive almost like metal flake paint would be. Beyong that, the rep dials have this kind of a gloss to them instead sort of like an enamel type finish which becomes imperfect near the indices which are srot of recessed from too much application pressue. Of course all this shows with extreme inspection. Havin said all that my guess is that the whit ewould be most accurate and the blue the least accurate due to the completly different color, with the black in the middle.

Let me give this statement its own paragraph though. These reps are amazing and even the fine details of the reps, accurate or not made me want to get the gen. That isn't going to happen for me unless a rep is way beyond just a little nice. These reps are really, really nice and besides, it isn't the most popular watch in the world either so unless there is a gen in the room noone would ever think to call a guy out on it IMO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So much talk about Fish lately.

So let's give a bump to this great thread. It was the one that pushed me to purchase the gen.

Actually I want to give it a bump because I think we all miss RobbieG's amazing photos and contributions. :thumbsupsmileyanim: