When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 MBK Patek Philippe Aquanaut (5165) Review

Corgi

Just got my MBK 5165 from Reg last week. Absolutely beautiful watch. With the current exchange rate, the prices have dropped a bit and you can now pick one up for a more reasonable $400 US or so.

I should point out two fairly obvious flaws in the rep that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

(1) The shape of the tail end of the seconds hand is completely wrong. This can be seen in Corgi's rep vs. gen comparison shots in the OP. The rep hand is flat on the end, while the gen hand comes to a triangular point at the end.

(2) The font size used on the dial for the "PATEK PHILIPPE GENEVE" logo is too large on the rep. Look carefully at Corgi's comparison photos. For example, you can see that the "P" in "PATEK" begins under the first "1" in "11" on the rep, but it actually begins under the second "1" on the gen.

Small points, but important ones, I think. It's a real shame that they put so much work into this rep, yet they still got those two seemingly simple points wrong.

I am also utterly perplexed as to why anyone would rep the 5155 in the first place. Given the current craze for large watches, why not just rep the 5167 Jumbo? Even the Jumbo is small by today's standards. Bizarre thinking, IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know this post is way overdue, but nevertheless I would like to acknowledge and very much thank Corgi for his kind and patient help to explain the details of how I could get my hands on the Aquanaut and how I could contact Reg (Narikaa) to purchase the watch. This was in October 2008 and I have been wearing the watch ever since. Alas, my other watches did not have much wearing time since then!

My thanks also to Reg who had also been very patient with me my queries and got me my favourite watch in good time!

My big thanks to both of you!!!

JJ69, I agree on the 2 main flaws with you - really wish they were perfect - I guess if they had not made this flaws, it would be extremely difficult to tell it from the real thing. Guess this was done knowlingly. Build quality however is really impressive. Can't complain:)

• 1 month later...
Just got my MBK 5165 from Reg last week. Absolutely beautiful watch. With the current exchange rate, the prices have dropped a bit and you can now pick one up for a more reasonable $400 US or so.

I should point out two fairly obvious flaws in the rep that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

(1) The shape of the tail end of the seconds hand is completely wrong. This can be seen in Corgi's rep vs. gen comparison shots in the OP. The rep hand is flat on the end, while the gen hand comes to a triangular point at the end.

(2) The font size used on the dial for the "PATEK PHILIPPE GENEVE" logo is too large on the rep. Look carefully at Corgi's comparison photos. For example, you can see that the "P" in "PATEK" begins under the first "1" in "11" on the rep, but it actually begins under the second "1" on the gen.

Small points, but important ones, I think. It's a real shame that they put so much work into this rep, yet they still got those two seemingly simple points wrong.

The flaws you noted are negligible, and there may be other tiny flaws that you may have already overlooked. For example, did you notice the differences in groove patterns on the dial? The watch conoisseur will not notice these or other flaws unless he seeks specfically for them. Otherwise, those flaws will escape his eye because the correct datewheel will distract him.

As we know, every fake watch is flawed in some way, that there is no such thing as "1:1." Concerning the high-end fake watches, the name of the game is now awareness of specific flaws and to seek them.

The Emperor has spoken.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...