When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2008 MBK Patek Philippe Aquanaut (5165) Review

Corgi

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the possiblity of polishing that eta and putting some engravings?

quote name='LordRasta' date='Jun 17 2008, 05:16 PM' post='470751']

Outstanding watch and an outstanding review. I've been eyeing this watch for quite sometime as a nice "weekend" watch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A deserved "bump" for a great review and a great watch.

Just got a hold of an MBK Nautilus, after dreaming of owning the "real thing" for 10+ years, well it's nice but I'm a tad disappointed, not a big fan of the wristband mostly, its look and also because I'm between links so can't adjust properly, it's either a tad too tight or a tad too loose, no fine tuning like on a Rolex. Imagine paying €17k and finding out you can't adjust it properly, ouch !

So anyway, the Aquanaut wouldn't have that problem and it does look more modern for some reason.

There is a new Aquanaut rep that looks really nice on another forum by a dealer called Time4Direct with an Asian movement and a hard to beat price of $129, but it's more like the 5167A and they got the date window wrong again !

Edited by webvan

• 4 weeks later...

I got the Time4Direct with an Asian movement and i am impressed by how comfortable the watch is. however, i am trying hard to compare the difference between thsi one and my previous MBW Nauty and Time4Direct version seems to be lack of the "shiny" quality. It never reflects the light to my guests eyes.

Do you feel the same?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have finally get both aqunaut versions from MBK and the cheaper versionn (when wrong date font). I although i was told they both are very similar, but when you compare them side by side. They are TOTALLY different. 1) MBK quality is far superior than the cheaper version: it appears shinnier or better finishing. 2) MBK aquanaut is relatively smaller (looks more like a 38mm watch). 3) the rubber quality are the same on both watch. I will see if i can update more photos when i am free time. This is my 4th PP watch (MBK Nauty, China Moonphase Nauty, 2 Aquanauts) and for those who enjoy PP, thats shine together!

My other Aquanaut is the one from PWC/T4D, all i can say is the rubber is very similar in its quality, so does the buckle. However, the PWC model does not have the correct buckle and its a bit wider. However, I do like the PWC size as its more like a 40mm watch. (im getting used to wearing big watches)

post-22-1232914699_thumb.jpg

Here is the face shot of my 5167 CN Aquanaut - 40mm (42mm) x 10mm

The dial and indices and numbers are spot on to the gen.

The date window is located WAYYY too far left compared to gen...but I do not care.

This watch in comparison to the 5165 is larger by more than just a few mm. It wears totally different IMO.

Same rubber strap and deployment as gen 5165/67.

Personally I like the increased case size compared to the 36/38mm 5165.

As I have mentioned in quite a few other threads concerning this watch, I sincerly feel as though this

5167 is THE MOST COMFORTABLE watch to wear. Often time, I don't even notice I am wearing it.

I purchased this watch for 120.00, from a collector over at RG...without a doubt the best deal ever.

The current MBK 5165 is for sale thru dealers like Narikka for 540.00!!! quite a difference in cost.

My CN model is asian 21j, and looses about 30 seconds per day. Were any of our dealers to offer the 2008/09 5167 (40mm) with eta or eta clone, I would buy it in a minute and send it off to The Zigmeister post haste.

Originally I did not like this Genta design all that much, but after seeing reviews like Corgi's and others here, when the 40mm 5167 came available I snapped it up.

As stated, it is my favorite daily beater, because now I can still wear a classic PP sport look without sacraficing

my MBK Nautilus (best rep EVER) to daily abuse.

Reading this I infer that The Zigmeister doesn't work on 21J's ? You coudl try adjusting it yourself there is a topic on how to do that here.

RG=Repgeek ? Any reason to think it's not the same version as the one sold by Robert (T4D/PWC) ? The blue one I briefly had certainly felt comfortable, too bad I broke the strap (the little "teeth" actually) while putting it back (I bought it second hand from a smoker and had washed the band to try to get rid of the stench...).

Edited by webvan