When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help The Newbie Out, What The Heck Is It With Pam's?

Ok, This may be because of my age (25) or because I'm completely civilian, but what the heck is the obsession with Pam's? I mean honestly, they're kind of cool looking, but they all look very similar to anyone at all that isn't a fan of Pam's. I understand people being crazy about rolexes, they're quite a status symbol and a brand synonomous with having money. My wife loves my LV rep, my VC's, and she adored my Navitimer (bless 'er, it would suck if she was anti-timepieces) but every Pam I show her, she asks if "it's that same ugly military watch" and it's not like she doesn't know what she's talking about, she actually points out what people are wearing more often than I notice, and I think she has good taste (she actually said things like "the bezel is too small on that one" and such). Anyway this isn't about my wife, it's just about me (joe schmoe) not attacking Pam, but asking what the dad gum love affair is with it! Someone help a brother out!

Anyone wiling to carry a credit card balance can own a nice watch. Rolex, IWC, Breitling, whatever. That's not an attack on any specific brand, just reality.

Panerais have a draw to them that is not easily explained, and for many the first time it is felt is when the watch is actually on your wrist. There are many watch enthusiasts that don't get it, and that's fine. To each his or her own...

All I can tell you to do is buy one. If you can wear it for a week and not "get it", I will be very surprised. THey are just a different buzz.

Or, perhaps there's a small dose of Heroin on the caseback. That could be it...

I think with the PAM's it is a number of things. Of course there is the X factor - just something about it. I think the size, the simplicity and the unique design sets them apart. I have had lots of comments on my 183 from people that don't even know what it is. It just stands out somehow.

Asked the same question on another board a good while back. Got a 111 from Trusty a few months back and have a hard time getting it off my wrist. Agree with the other comments about it getting noticed even if no one knows what it is. Got on a flight last Tuesday and was waiting in the front of the aircraft for the aisle to clear and the stewardess told me she loved my watch. It just happens.

you rightfully don't know what the fuss is about seeing as you don't have one.

but jeez, one can be gotten for less than $150 these days so i'd say you may as well give it a test run. worst comes to worst you sell it and take it as a lesson learened.

i've said this before, but there is a big 'i know something you don't know' factor to panerai. it kind of says 'i could have gotten XXXX, but i'm in the know so i got a panerai.'

I understand people being crazy about rolexes, they're quite a status symbol and a brand synonomous with having money.

Exactly. You don't wear a PAM as a status symbol and/or to suggest that you have money.

You may wear it because:

1 - Uh... just try and you will know :D.

2 - To suggest that you have taste.

3 - To suggest that you are a connoisseur.

4 - To suggest that you are elitary about minds, not about wallets.

(Btw, it is my sad duty to inform you that you are already affected with paneritis in phase 1).

Exactly. You don't wear a PAM as a status symbol and/or to suggest that you have money.

You may wear it because:

1 - Uh... just try and you will know :D.

2 - To suggest that you have taste.

3 - To suggest that you are a connoisseur.

4 - To suggest that you are elitary about minds, not about wallets.

(Btw, it is my sad duty to inform you that you are already affected with paneritis in phase 1).

Or...

5. Because you love the watch.

Or...

5. Because you love the watch.

That was supposed to be included in #1 along with because the watch is beautiful etc :)

It must have been my poor English...

I owned a gen 49 for about 6 months...loved it, but ended up traded it for a gen Exp II (smaller profile). I miss it.

My husband is a big Pam fan as well. He has owned a gen 90, 88, I don't remember the other 2. He recently purchased Josh's 210H and loves it just as much as his gens. I am sure he will also purchase a rep Fiddy in the near future and I'll probably purchase a rep 49.

Once you wear one, you just "get it". Beautiful, simple watches with a nice history.

started with the 111G with right swansneck and buy a 24/24 strap at www.manifatturefirenze.com and take the Aged calf leather strap 1942 with buckle (light brown stitch) for 100 usd.

man , its lovely!!!

greetz arthur

I'll give it a whirl. what do you guys think is your favorite? For a 1st timer anyway... I have fair skin and freckles, I'm a fan of brown bands over black. As far as looking best on me, nothing has really beaten the navitimer to date.

Thanks!

When I first saw pictures I thought they were fugly.

Then you see one in the flesh, the first I saw was a gen 104 and it looked and felt gorgeous. I don't like watches to be too complicated so I picked up a 005 from Joshua and it hardly ever left my wrist.

I sent my brother a link to the Panerai website and he said that they're ugly.

Then he saw mine.

Now he wants one :D

It really is a case that pictures don't do them justice, you just have to get your hands on one and try it on.

What it it about PAMs? You'll find out after buying your first one. Rolexes? I have two different reps. Theywere the first two I purchased. But I don't wear them anymore. IMO, just too common as a rep. My two Joshua ETA Rolexes wil be going up for sale soon. I'm done with them.

If you had a genuine rolex, would you wear it then?

What it it about PAMs? You'll find out after buying your first one. Rolexes? I have two different reps. Theywere the first two I purchased. But I don't wear them anymore. IMO, just too common as a rep. My two Joshua ETA Rolexes wil be going up for sale soon. I'm done with them.

Before I bought my first Panerai rep I went to an AD to check them out in person. There really is something weird that happens when you first hold one and put it on your wrist.

I agree that most people don't know what they are, but I think the popularity in the rep world will only help them gain popularity among everyday folks. Oh... that and the fact that every Hollywood star seems to be wearing one lately.

As has been said already, once you wear one you will understand. IMO start out with the classic design either a 111 or a 001 or my personal fav 036. Although you can't go wrong with a 196 on carbon (just read up a bit on the 7750 movement before you pull the trigger or just get one with the 7753)

I have lots of reps, mullers, vc, JLC, etc. I used to love comlications. I did not undertand the pam till I got my 001. I actually wear it the most now of them all. I have lots of friends with big big bucks. 100% the one they say hey thats a nice watch or thats cool is the PAM and they wear 20K genuine watches so it just the look they love. I also get more comments on the street about it. just the bigness and simplicity and lines. my wife loves it the best too. guess I have to get a few more. I laughed the other day when one of my clients an incredibly wealthy woman whos husband earns 10 or 100 times waht I do walks intot he office wearking a pam on a hot pink leather band.

I agree, I didn't understand the whole Panerai craze when first looking at the rep forums. In fact, sadly, I had't known what a Panerai was until I started studying reps. Now three of my first six reps are Pams. Started with 111H. Then a Titanium. Now the new 187 on order. You will get hooked