When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is the best source for sapphire crystal...

mjmurphy926

PM sent.

Out of interest, why send a PM instead of posting here? Also, the poster will know you sent him a PM, so why tell us you sent him one? ;)

By the way, from what I can gather, DSN's crystals may only fit DSN cases, but I'd love a definitive answer on that one.

I call in on this thread..

A friend of mine has a Panerai Luminor Regatta ( the waffle dial one, I dont know the PAM-number). Ha managed to break the crystal.. Anyone know where to buy a replacement crystal?

I tried to mail Davidsen, is he the same as DSN?? I am not much into this Panerai-stuff.. :)

AFAIK, DSN cystals fit 90% of standard rep cases -- all those accepting [standard] 35.5mm diameter crystals.

Thanks SSS. That's what I needed to know.

You are welcome.

BTW, it costs 75 USD. You may find it on the 4th (oldest) DSN page.

DSN does sell these. I have just purchased one last week. They are now $85 delivered.

The csrystal is 3.5mm in thickness, which would sit correctly on a case. There was some talk that DSN's crystals are 3.3mm in thickness but this is not the case (at least not with the crystal that I have bought).

I am yet to see whether it will fit Joshua's case but I am pretty certain that it will.

I will let you know how I go.

DSN does sell these. I have just purchased one last week. They are now $85 delivered.

The csrystal is 3.5mm in thickness, which would sit correctly on a case. There was some talk that DSN's crystals are 3.3mm in thickness but this is not the case (at least not with the crystal that I have bought).

I am yet to see whether it will fit Joshua's case but I am pretty certain that it will.

Yes Bluerex...Please do.

Are you replacing the the crystal that came on a standard Joshua case? If so, please also let me know if you can tell any differences.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Yes Bluerex...Please do.

Are you replacing the the crystal that came on a standard Joshua case? If so, please also let me know if you can tell any differences.

Thanks a lot,

Mike

Hi Mike.

Yes, Joshua's crystal turned out to be mineral and I have managed to put a few scratches in it without even wearing the watch outside the house.

The new crystal is currently getting double AR from Jakub so I won't have it back for 3-4 weeks. When it comes back, I will take some pics. ;)

Will this also apply to his titanium cases? I have just bought the 177H with coated mineral. Would be nice with sapphire so it can get the best AR treatment B)

Will this also apply to his titanium cases? I have just bought the 177H

Take your digital caliper out and measure your crystal diameter. :)

If it is 35.5mm (and chances are 99% it is), DSN crystal will fit.

today my watchmaker did install the davidsen 088 spphire with large date mag and gasket in a standard 088 gmt case.

i've got also several gaskets to check, result... fits prefect. looks amazing.

rolli

Out of interest, why send a PM instead of posting here? Also, the poster will know you sent him a PM, so why tell us you sent him one? ;)

By the way, from what I can gather, DSN's crystals may only fit DSN cases, but I'd love a definitive answer on that one.

In my experience of messing about with 44mm handwind Panerai reps, and believe me there has been plenty of them, all the crystals have been interchangable, including gens, DSN's, Jimmy Fu's and regular reps from various sources. The difference that I have encountered has been in the bezels - some are designed to take the crystal in a teflon gasket (gen , JF, DSN) and others just press directly into the bezel. I know that JF's crystals aren't sapphire, but they certainly are harder than regular mineral crystals - they seem to be similar to Seiko's 'Hardlex' crystal.