When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP ROO ... Date Window Alert!

The Date window (black colour) was seemingly "fixed" overnight ... I inquired about the 2 different colours .. and if the maker was correcting this issue..

Now,.. this comes from the Maker NOT any Collector...

the Maker did not redo the window and the Maker is not 'modding" the APROO ... the window has been covered over with black marker pen ..

Let me state that I am not calling anyone collector or members on the carpet.. just making you aware of the discrepency in window colours.. the Maker has stated he will not honour any watches in which the date window has been covered with marker pen..

So be aware that the black coloured window does not come with that colour from the factory..

The good news is .. that if it could be done with a marker pen then it can be modded correctly with metallic or whatever.. matching paint..

Yup, I've heard this, too. That makes the date window "fix" way too glossy (carlsbadrolex pointed that out to me, so give credit where that's due)...so, I'm probably going to buy an unmodded version and get it done myself by a "skilled watchsmith".

this is not about "credit" take all of it if you want !!!

This did not come from another member.. this came from the maker .. not any collector the maker.. do you understand that!!

I grow tired of the "credit" part.. I hold my comments until verification can be had.. so excuse my inflection in my post but I am tired and have NO TIME for commenting on "who should get credit"....sheesh

please stay on POINT !!.. start your own thread and name it .. " Who gets the Credit "

Sorry, Lani...that's not how I meant it. My apologies if you felt offended.

I meant it as in: Carlsbadrolex first pointed it out to me...so I wasn't the one who originally discovered this fact...so he should get the credit for my post (I'm just the messenger, in other words). Absolutely, all respect to you for talking to the maker...

Completely agree. Heck, I was told the ROO seconds at 12 would be ready in February 08. Then March. Then April...etc...

No worries ..... it seemed to be corrected in a New York Minute... something the maker would not handle .. so with this anomoly,..; and inquiring this is what the maker stated...... to protect himself ..

ON point.. if this watch is purchased with the coloured in window and it fails the next day.. well, no exchange is what you are looking at

Since he became a collector with all the other collectors...

Well I just know that everything he's told me when I write him and ask him stuff thus far has been true. So if he says that next shipment of ROO will have corrected date window, I can't see why that would be untrue...

Thanks for the heads up on this stuff guys.

+1

I will definitely wait for the updated models and new dials/case versions...it would be really interesting to see the RG rubberclad and the navy with a nice blue hornback gator strap...for those I'd pay the asking price immediately

Well I just know that everything he's told me when I write him and ask him stuff thus far has been true. So if he says that next shipment of ROO will have corrected date window, I can't see why that would be untrue...

This may be altogether true !

First this thread was not about the date font !..

Second when you Quote a collector and things don't happen right away you put that person at risk of giving misinformation.. which could "appear" to be untruths for sales purposes .. please note that I underline "appears" just so you don't misquote me..

Manitou Posted Today, 09:18 AM

Anyways - in case anyone's interested I was told this:

This dealers mod is a marker pen and glossy

Next shipment is factory modded

Again you bring "collectors" names into play .. (btw collector-dealer same difference) can you prove that he did this himself ? ..

You HAVE to be fair to all concerned .. the POINT IS.... if this rep is purchased you will not have any safety net if it fails !! This is not about PC or PT

the "next shippment " could be next month or next year.. this is "my" point

It becomes dangerous and careless when you start sounding like a spokesperson for a collector.. not fair to him/her or the members..with the different cultures and languages we should wait and see what the source has to say himself on the board or await the pics

ON point.. if this watch is purchased with the coloured in window and it fails the next day.. well, no exchange is what you are looking at

czarczar Posted Today, 09:15 AM

Funny you mention that.

Angus had "updated version" on his site for a couple of days (I probably still have his email)...that led me to believe it was an updated second batch that was rumored. He had updated pictures and everything, with the glossy black date surround (should be flat black).

Then, a couple of days later, the pictures changed back, the description changed to "modded by a skilled watchsmith", and the mod became an option. That's when I figured, yeah, they must've gotten their sharpies in...

All I would like to comment on is that Angus has many customers that he services very well .. that is not the issue of this thread.. I am not trying to insinuate anything from the Date colour.. only that it is not from the factory and would make repair or defects hard to manage if the need arouse..

It's all hearsay. The Maker told a Member no fix is in the works and the member tells us. I trust lani implicity, but can he assure us that if the maker were going to fix the problem he would have said, "Yes, I'm going to fix this problem. Tell your friends on the boards not to buy one of these until the next version comes out"? I doubt it.

To be honest, and I mean no offense to anyone, maybe because I do PR for a living I put zero stock in leaks from dealers and collectors, because that's exactly what they are--strategic leaks by people with a clear agenda, selling us as much of their stock as possible.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Lani, thank you very much for the information. This thread has made me think about my plan to have my date surround painted this week. It seems to me that if the manufacturers aren't going to warranty the watch if a collector mods it, they aren't going to warranty it if I have it modded locally. And with the new and un-tested seconds at 12 movement it might be a good idea to wait awhile before giving up the option to return a failed watch.

Thanks again, as always!

T

Lani, thank you very much for the information. This thread has made me think about my plan to have my date surround painted this week. It seems to me that if the manufacturers aren't going to warranty the watch if a collector mods it, they aren't going to warranty it if I have it modded locally. And with the new and untested seconds at 12 movement it might be a good idea to wait awhile before giving up the option to return a failed watch.

Thanks again, as always!

T

Hey T... As everyone is already aware of it's the Mod kit that is always the determining factor.. the ultimate would be to have the mod kit looked at by .. "who else"... but the point of this thread was not to distinguish collectors... but rather to make the members 'aware" of the situation and let them decide for themselves what to do..

mainly, the New members who have not yet built a rapour with any one collector and would be hard pressed to find an alternative to sending the watch back for repair or exchange.. as this is not your 200 usd rep.

I'm sure all the forums collectors would honour their responsibilities ... but let the members be the deciding factor in their choice given all the info..

Archibald Posted Today, 04:50 PM

It's all hearsay. The Maker told a Member no fix is in the works and the member tells us. I trust Lani implicitly, but can he assure us that if the maker were going to fix the problem he would have said, "Yes, I'm going to fix this problem. Tell your friends on the boards not to buy one of these until the next version comes out"? I doubt it.

To be honest, and I mean no offense to anyone, maybe because I do PR for a living I put zero stock in leaks from dealers and collectors, because that's exactly what they are--strategic leaks by people with a clear agenda, selling us as much of their stock as possible.

Archi .. you are correct on all counts.. my point .... is not to persuade anyone to buy or not to buy .. that should be the choice solely of the person that is taking out his/her wallet.. but given the discussion and debate and "quick fix" to the Date window... i believe we have a right and responsibility to pass this info on to the rest of the members so that they may decide for themselves..

If I trust the maker that is producing the modded window.. then I would continue to purchase from him as long as he gives me his word that it's business as usual ...

I am having the mag Ar'd on the GMTIIc.. and serviced and this is a relatively new rep .. (in hand) .. so we know the drill.. it's mostly for the buyer's that really have no rapour with the collectors that we have built up over time

Of course everything is 'sales orientated' .. the key is separating "fact" from 'sales rhetoric'... .. that is why there was no need to name collecotrs or he said .. senario.. only the fact that the date window is not a factory "fix"

but again I will say .... the good news is it can be fixed just with the proper colour and texture of paint....Archi.. I believe you misunderstand ... I am not saying to wait for the factory to fix this.. that would be like waiting for grass to grow.. no sense in it..and if they said they were going to fix it.. I would not put much stock in that type of promise ... why would a maker say don't buy something that makes them money? .. We all know that most of these reps need work ... sorry you misunderstood my posts.. not saying and never will convey promises from a maker or otherwise on the board.. as is evident by my pictorials and write ups.. I give facts .... that's all...

it should of been stated from the beggining that the black painted window was a dealers mod..

Aloha~Cheers

R

Thanks Lani...you are right, the factory MAY fix the date window issue but when? It could be next month or 6+ months from now, depends on how quickly the manufactured stock disappears before they make another run. If you love the AP ROO, go for it it's an amazing watch.

I'm sure many other much anticipated variations will be coming out in different dials. :victory: