When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking apart the sec at 12 ROO...

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have not been able to find any photographs of a genuine AP ROO taken apart, but I have to retract my previous statement that the bolts could simply be pushed through to the front of the case after the case back screws were removed.

I found an annoying piece of lint on my dial this evening, and with the kids in bed thought, "WHAT THE HELL... Lets take this thing apart.". Now I dont typically do this with brand new $600 reps, but since I have two of them, WTF.

SO, take out the case back screws. Now be particularly careful to use the proper sized screw driver. Both length and thickness of the blade are important. It seems that the screws are a rather soft metal, as mine were already damaged from the factory. I actually took an old screwdriver, and ground it down and polished it to the correct size.

Once the case back screws are out, and the case back is removed... look down deep inside the holes where the bolts are. Down inside you will see a nut with 4 grooves cut in to it. These nuts are what actually holds the bolt to the case, and not the case back screws. SO, these will need to be removed also.

Again, I had to modify an old screwdriver as these nuts were in pretty tight (impressive actually). Once the screw driver was modified and polished, the nuts came right out. I wasnt sure if the threads would be an issue, so the nuts were laid out in the proper arrangement to the case. That way I knew they would go back on to the bolts they came from.

Once all 8 nuts are removed (I used rodico on the end of a toothpick to remover them) the case and bracelet was simply lifted off of the crystal, bezel, tachy ring and gasket.

NOW, I am not entirely sure how the movement is fastened to the case... So be careful. I was able to do everything I needed to without the movement and dial falling out, but it didnt seem to me to be fastened very tightly. At one point, I thought I saw the movement and dial shift slightly in the case. But it was still perfectly aligned when I put it back together, so maybe it was the beer I had before trying this.

Once the piece of lint was removed, I took a closer look at the date window and cyclops. The cyclops is sandwiched between the dial and the date window surround. So the painting of the surround will require the hands being removed, the dial being removed and then the dial/date window and cyclops being dis-assembled. Im really beginning to think it may not be worth it. ONE picture of the watch with a silver surround has been shown, and that might be enough for me.

It all goes back in reverse order. Make sure that the front bolt heads are in the correct position when re-assembling... I missed one and now I have one out of alignment. Im not in the mood to take it all back apart tonight... SO this one will stay in the winder for a few days.

I took a few pics along the way, no where near the quality of others pics... But I think it gives a good enough idea of what the guts of this watch look like.

Here ya go....

Proceed at your own risk.

T

post-7311-1215406927_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215406944_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215406958_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215406971_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215406982_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215406992_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215407002_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215407015_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215407027_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215407039_thumb.jpg

post-7311-1215407052_thumb.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

Just an FYI... lets just call this another, be careful when doing at home mods and work.

Today I opened it back up to turn the front screw around. Got it opened, unscrewed the hidden nut, lifted it off with a little piece of rodico on the end of a toothpick and promptly dropped it right in to the balance assembly.

It simply fell of the rodico at the simple most inopportune time. I spent the next 20 minutes with a magnifier, needle point tweezers and a very fine piece of rodico trying to get it out without mangling the hairs spring. Well, that didnt work so well. I dont know if I pulled the balance assembly off the jewel, or if something else broke. But now she wont start up at all.

SO, Rick if you want to come pick this one up let me know. But I think this one is going to be a little harder fix than a mainspring barrel. As much excitement as I get from getting something right, it sure is expensive when I screw something up.

After everything was done, I realized that I didnt even have to remove the nut... just loosen it enough to push the bolt forward a couple mm and twist it in the front.

I will get it in tomorrow to have it looked at and hopefully repaired!

Oh you are too kind, well at least it will be correct on my arm twice a day! ;)

Just an FYI... lets just call this another, be careful when doing at home mods and work.

Today I opened it back up to turn the front screw around. Got it opened, unscrewed the hidden nut, lifted it off with a little piece of rodico on the end of a toothpick and promptly dropped it right in to the balance assembly.

It simply fell of the rodico at the simple most inopportune time. I spent the next 20 minutes with a magnifier, needle point tweezers and a very fine piece of rodico trying to get it out without mangling the hairs spring. Well, that didnt work so well. I dont know if I pulled the balance assembly off the jewel, or if something else broke. But now she wont start up at all.

SO, Rick if you want to come pick this one up let me know. But I think this one is going to be a little harder fix than a mainspring barrel. As much excitement as I get from getting something right, it sure is expensive when I screw something up.

After everything was done, I realized that I didnt even have to remove the nut... just loosen it enough to push the bolt forward a couple mm and twist it in the front.

I will get it in tomorrow to have it looked at and hopefully repaired!

Perhaps you can get a new replacement movement from your dealer if it is not repairable. If you can get it repaired, and the watchmaker takes it all apart, make sure to take pics and get his opinion on the movement! I probably still won't trust it until The Zigmeister reviews it.

If it just turns out irrepairable, then I guess you could keep it for parts... perhaps take it all apart to see the construction of the case... merge with a MBW case to make the true "ultimate" version perhaps ;)

Guest carlsbadrolex

I just picked mine back up... Something was not aligned properly in the balance area... I was not at the watchmakers while the work was being done, so unfortunately no pics. But it is up and running.