When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Skyland is finally up

bollobandit

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard this theory from someone else as well. Almost makes you wonder why there is always a "tell" when they have a gen as a sample and have computer aided precision machining available.

I think the problem is the same as with the rep Navitimers:

The rep dial is slightly smaller than the genuine.

Aswell as the Navi, the other known smaller rep dial is the Bentley GT - apparent from the slightly larger than gen slide rule bezel, and the condensed inner slide rule text (on the dial).

So when the rep Skyland was made, the outside diameter of the dial forced the lume dot closer in. Which is also evident on the 9 o'clock marker; it is slightly closer to the subdial.

Maybe this has already been mentioned.... a recurring "tell" exists, that came with the old rep Chrono Avenger; the lume dots are more bulbous than the genuine lume dots. As someone said, no-one except a viewer of these forums would spot it from an arms length away.

I think the Skyland rep looks great from the photos, a MASSIVE improvement over its predecessor, the v2 Chrono Avenger. I just hope that the Skyland will have the semi-circle guilloche present. Maybe then I'll be making an order too! :D

Edited by Importr

Thought I'd put together a short "Quickie Review" of this long anticipated rep.

Seems the biggest flaw on this one is the "half dot" next to the date window. My guess is that the date window is slightly too wide. If you notice, this dot is smaller than the rest on the gen. Hopefully Josh is correct and this will be corrected on the non-prototype models.

skyland_date195.jpg

The pearl on this one is wrong again. The metal edge of the pearl should be wider and the glass & lume should be a tad smaller. Not since the old factory Avengers have we had a perfect Breitling pearl. Also, notice the circular lume dot in the 12:00 marker. This should be a flat triangular bit of lume.

skyland_pearl938.jpg

The pushers on this one are ever so slightly too long. No biggie, and I doubt that you will be able to tell the difference without having a gen to compare. You can really notice the difference in size of the date window in this comparison.

skyland_push578.jpg

In my opinion the rider tab overhangs the crystal slightly too much. Again, a minor flaw, but its there nonetheless.

skyland_tab259.jpg

Over all I think this one will be a winner, especially if the lume dot gets fixed. Josh and Andrew have produced a nice watch here, and the price is a lot less than I had thought it would be. The biggest disappointment is the delay in the Pro II bracelet, but hopefully some of the other flaws will be sorted out by the time its ready.

BTW, for those with small wrists that are contemplating ordering this watch. I have the gen diver strap and it is too large for my 6.75" wrist by at least on full hole. I don't feel like punching a new hole in a gen strap, but it really is aggravating.

good stuff as always andrew! I really think all these flaws are minor and that this will be a huge seller. it really is one of the

nicer looking breits in their collection. as you noted, the pearl is off, but it sure is one of the nicer pearls i have seen to

date. im really happy they used white lume instead of green and im very pleased with the updated DW's they been using.

that is huge!!

Am I the only one here who's only interested in the black steel version?

I saw both the SS on bracelet, and the black steel on rubber at my local AD and the latter just looked far more appealing.

Nope I for one will wait for the BS which should be ready in about the same timescale as the SS Pro II bracelet hopefully. I was a whisker away from buying the gen (which is a limited edition) last year and the matt gunmetal finish (it's NOT 'black') combined with the red chapter ring and subdial hands just set it off perfectly. Much more appealing than the shiney SS version IMO.

As for this rep, lots of tyre-kicking going on here methinks - looks an excellent piece and given the noticeable improvements (e.g. DW) I think it's churlish to expect perfection which as we all know doesn't exist.

Also think the dial/spacing issue i down to the case - they're clearly using the same 44mm spec as the Chrono Avenger reps (old Ti and new fantasy SS), as probably not cost-effective to retool for the Skyland's 45mm case.

And as for the half-textured subdials, I recall there was a lot of discussion on this on TZ particularly concerning the BS version - early numbers didn't have this feature but they brought it in mid-production. So there's no wrong or right per se.

Were it not for the fact that I now have a certain gorgeous and very similar something :whistling: then I'd be all over this like a rash. As it is, I'll patiently wait for the BS version and hope they get the titanium-carbon nitride process perfected.

DBR is right, I believe the first 100 or so blacksteel's did not have the half textured subdials but all of the SS models certainly do regardless of when they were produced, this i know 100% because i remember seeing the pics of their website when the skyland was originally released awhile back. its really hard to tell from the dealer pics if they got the subdials right, you have to be looking at the dial from a certain angle to see this- again i'll repost this pic of mine so you can see the dial treatment and the effect that it gives, it's something i particularly like about the skyland and breitling has implemented this feature on the 08 super avenger..either way i think they hit a homerun with this rep, will probably be picking up a blue 1 myself and will do a side by side review of the gen/rep..also, the BS's are becoming increasingly scarce..i tried to get my hands on one before picking up the SS but my AD said they are next to impossible to get now in 08, only shot is on eBay- so when they rep that 1 i will definitely be getting it! now if only they did a pvd'd pro2 :wub:

skyclose.jpg

Edited by UB7

also, the BS's are becoming increasingly scarce..i tried to get my hands on one before picking up the SS but my AD said they are next to impossible to get now in 08, only shot is on eBay- so when they rep that 1 i will definitely be getting it! now if only they did a pvd'd pro2 :wub:

They're not actually that rare here in Europe. Since passing on my mine (serial containing '13') I've seen another two for sale at less than RRP (which was a good €700 over and above the SS version). And a few on TZ and ebay. That said I had heard they released a lot more over here relatively than other LEs so that may explain the scarcity in the US?

The rep will be interesting - hopefully Angus will have passed on the specs I was fortunate to procure info on, and they follow them. As for a BS Pro II, that would scream rep, as it doesn't exist for the gen ;)

By looking at the bracelet in this pic, I gather that it is the same as the Avenger model? If so, I have a spare :)

here's a pic of my genuine to help find the flaws. overall i think its great and its a steal @ this price.

sky003mw6.jpg

and flaws which are (to me) made intentionally to create a V2 later.

They ALWAYS incorporate flaws, not just to make a V2 later. The V2 will also have flaws. Probably even worse flaws than the V1 (the '1 step forward, 2 steps back'-principle).

I will skip this rep due to the lies made by cartel about prototype pictures and its flaws which are (to me) made intentionally to create a V2 later.

No need to argue about that as it is simply my opinion... I am sure many members will love their watch! :)

I agree, I will not be getting this watch.....

I will skip this rep due to the lies made by cartel about prototype pictures and its flaws which are (to me) made intentionally to create a V2 later.

No need to argue about that as it is simply my opinion... I am sure many members will love their watch! :)

Honestly you think they'll bother improving on this one? What do you want improved in the V2? Half a lume dot added and a full one removed? They won't rep the 45mm case size, so this is about as good as it's going to get IMO. I can't see a V2 happening although will be interesting to see if feedback is taken on board when they bring out the BS variant.

Wow, this is quite a way to stir up the pot!! Wonder if Josh or Andrew can attest to these accusations? I agree that with the technology and know how from these factories that a true 1:1 watch should be no problem to produce as long as the base 7750 movement is the same as the gen. I have always wondered about this.

Have at look at these flaws... simply no!

By the way... we had a member who met with angus who said that Josh/Andrew are asking for these intentional flaws by the factories...

Wow, this is quite a way to stir up the pot!! Wonder if Josh or Andrew can attest to these accusations? I agree that with the technology and know how from these factories that a true 1:1 watch should be no problem to produce as long as the base 7750 movement is the same as the gen. I have always wondered about this.

Not my intention... I am trying to find the post.... until then I will edit my post...