When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Close Inspection to the Mechanism of the AP seconds @ 12

Thanks for an excellent review. I don't really need another $500 paperweight. :bangin: I was curious whether you would feel a lot better about the movement if the E gear were in fact jeweled. If I read your review correctly there are two critical problems. The first relates to the minutes of the chrono which is seldom used but the second relates to the lack of a jewel on the running seconds gear which is bound to have a problem since it is running whenever the watch is running.

Great review.

It looks like they followed the design of the Seconds at 3 model and installed jewels where they could. Other than the silver transfer gear over the cannon pinion/hour wheel (which you can't add a jewel to), it looks basically the same as the seconds at 3 model.

Based on your pictures and lack of reports of failures with the seconds at 3 model, I think this new model is going to be just fine.

Thanks for posting the pics.

RG

Great review.

It looks like they followed the design of the Seconds at 3 model and installed jewels where they could. Other than the silver transfer gear over the cannon pinion/hour wheel (which you can't add a jewel to), it looks basically the same as the seconds at 3 model.

Based on your pictures and lack of reports of failures with the seconds at 3 model, I think this new model is going to be just fine.

RG

Now this is really getting interesting, can this model be services in advance (graphite?) to enhance it s chances?

Great review.

RG

Thanks for your comments.

Some points to discuss:

1.- If a gear like the silver one, E, has to be employed, and no jeweling is possible...why not to use it for the minutes transfer?

2.- The idea of the double gear, B, seems very smart. The minutes transfer again is much better done than the seconds transfer....so strange!

3.- There is a post here, RWG, where some buyers are complaining about problems in this mechanism. And they have the same symptoms like Portuguese and Daytona...stopping after 10 minutes of running, for example. The post is here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77611

Francisco.

Thanks for your comments.

Some points to discuss:

1.- If a gear like the silver one, E, has to be employed, and no jeweling is possible...why not to use it for the minutes transfer?

2.- The idea of the double gear, B, seems very smart. The minutes transfer again is much better done than the seconds transfer....so strange!

3.- There is a post here, RWG, where some buyers are complaining about problems in this mechanism. And they have the same symptoms like Portuguese and Daytona...stopping after 10 minutes of running, for example. The post is here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77611

Francisco.

I have asked this question when the first came out with the ETA 7750 with seconds at 6. Why not take the running seconds gears, and go directly accross, from 9 on the dial to 6, or in this watch, from 9 directly via 3 gears to 12.

Why they use 5 gears when 3 would do the job, with NO friction, I'll never understand...

I did see that some buyers have had problems with this model, but the same is true for many watches and movements, even the normal A7750 has failures.

Since this design is very close to the seconds at 3 model, my opinion is that it's going to be a good movement overall.

The failures that members have had, would have to be looked at to see exactly what the problem is, keep in mind that most of these movements are not regulated or adjusted, if the beat is out, the watch will not run well or at all. Beat is only an adjustment, it doesn't mean there is something wrong with the design.

As for the graphite solution on this one, I would only put a small drop of graphite on the silver gear that goes over the center post, the rest of the gears are jewelled and should be ok.

Great info, thanks again.

RG

Terrifice review and very informative. I've held back on this movement and probably still wait to hear "field" reports from other users. I have two seconds at 6 (daytona and IWC) and the IWC has become a paperweight so I'm still taking a "wait and see" attitude.

I sure hope The Zigmeister is right. Think of the other possibilities.

So if i understand the last couple of posts correctly from Ziggy and Franciso, this is better than the porto and the daytona movement, but it would have been better it the transfer of mins was routed via the co-axial gear and use the jeweled gears for the transfer of seconds, If problems do happen then the graphite lube of the co-axial gear MAY be a solution but in general there is a chance that this may be a usable movement,

Ok got it i think this will stay on my list and when i have the cash i think i will go for it.

Thanks guys