When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Close Inspection to the Mechanism of the AP seconds @ 12

• 2 weeks later...

Hey what would you say if I put a ruby where it's needed (gear E) even if it hasn't the oil tank.

We are studying the file actually, but anyway, I think it is possible without many troubles.

Is there some members who would like to try the experience with me ?

Why are the best looking new reps coming with such POS movements?

Maybe it's just cause you're new and inexperienced, but these movements have had issues (whether seconds at 12...or whatever) but they are few and far between. These movement have improved radically in the last few years and are used in more and more gens.

This model is new and may go through some teething problems, but most of the seconds at 12 are working fine. It's more a quality control issue (there isn't any), so that's the real flaw....not the movement itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Excellent job!

so does it make any sense NOT to use chrono functions if the gear is running all the time anyway? I mean would it potentially harm the watch if the chronos are running all the time?

The problem is not with the chrono. The problem is with the running seconds...of the watch itself, no chrono.

Francisco.

The problem is not with the chrono. The problem is with the running seconds...of the watch itself, no chrono.

Francisco.

yes, that's understood. But is it ADVISEABLE not to run chronos all the time (i.e. keep the chronos stopped for most of the time)? Or it really doesn't matter in this case?

yes, that's understood. But is it ADVISEABLE not to run chronos all the time (i.e. keep the chronos stopped for most of the time)? Or it really doesn't matter in this case?

From what I understand, I don't think it matters if you run the chrono or not. Since the problem is with the running seconds, which is constantly running whether the chrono is running or not.

• 2 months later...

from what i read so far, looks like it is recommended to stop the watch completely when it is not worn to prolong the life of the movement.

there are still problematic transfer gears there, but time will show how soon they'll start causing problems. it is a metter of time though.

some more inputs on this movement ?

If I buy one I think that I will let it go to The Zigmeister for a check.. :D

Not yet, haven't had any running seconds at 6 models in for service.

RG

Hey Rob!

If you ever want to do your own tear down project and experiment on this sec@12 itiration, you could use my AP ROO Safari as a Guinea Pig! I would gladly volunteer my new "love" to

know what could be done about this "CANCER"!

Let me know!

Hike

Hey Rob!

If you ever want to do your own tear down project and experiment on this sec@12 itiration, you could use my AP ROO Safari as a Guinea Pig! I would gladly volunteer my new "love" to

know what could be done about this "CANCER"!

Let me know!

Hike

Wanted to do the same thing when I'll buy one.. :D

• 2 months later...

This has to be pinned. Absolutely. Consider it done.

Thanks Fransisco... amazing article!

PS: Do other watches than AP use the seconds at '12 mod? I mean... if not, this article has to be pinned in this AP section (imho).

I'm speecheless. The knowledge and abilities of our membership here is staggering - as is the willingness of some to go to the trouble to find all this out. I mean obviously, The Zigmeister has always been with us as an Asian movement expert, but it is nice to know others are learning and growing along as well. Bravo Francisco! Ole'