When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

vintage 16014 datejust

stilty

My first vintage Franken-Just.

What do you think? The dial features dark blue sapphire markers. My wife's favorite gems, after diamonds! She's out of town with the kids for a few days, so I figured I would put it together and give it to her when I see her this weekend. It might be a bit too much bling, especially with the white gold fluted bezel that jumps out at you! I fitted it with an oyster bracelet until I receive the jubilee. I think the jubilee will be a better match to the dial and bezel. Oysters look better with smooth bezels.

Here are the specs:

Genuine 16014 case with WG bezel.

Genuine Dial - the markers appear to be non factory

Genuine Crown

Genuine bracelet

Aftermarket hands

Vacuum foil packed ETA 2824-2 direct from Switzerland fitted in the case with one of my CNC milled holders.

Any guesses on the date disc?

Here are a few pics. Not the greatest quality shots, as she has the good camera with her.

16014facemv6.jpg

16014sidefacemr3.jpg

16014sidehi8.jpg

16014wristek8.jpg

Once I receive the jubilee bracelet and have the better camera, I'll take some better natural light photos...

...and clean the fingerprints off the bezel! Yikes!

No 'jewels' for me, but an otherwise brilliant effort. I eagerly await the new pics with the better camera & jubilee.

Great work as usual, Stilty.

I am putting the finishing touches on a another DJ myself, but with plain silver dial & steel machine turned bezel. This 1 will probably end up on a leather strap.

Very nice, stilty! And the date wheel- we'd all love to hear where it comes from. Now that the Cubic-Works DW's have closed 6's and 9's, the old style ones are hard to find. That dial also looks very nice.

This one has the 2836, and an old DJ dial- 'aged silver', with the old Cubic-works DW. I prefer the oyster band, but yours might look better with the jubilee- I'm just not a big fan of the jubilees.

post-175-1217414457_thumb.jpg

Great mate (again)!

Date font looks very good imho, love those open 6 and 9. I can do a comparison shot of my gen tomorrow... seems a little bit thinner somehow. But perhaps that's just my old, sore eyes :D:huh:

How did you manage to put that gen dial in it? Did you have to move the dial feet?

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks everyone.

The date disc is actually a cubic works. :p I found it in the parts drawer a while back. The printing is pretty good. Font may be a bit too bold, but at least it is proper for this watch. Open 6 and 9 fonts and proper date rotation to match ETA. I scanned it so I can make it into a vector and maybe one day get some made as they are no longer produced.

Hopefully Mrs. Stilty will like it. If not, it was a fun build and probably wear it for a bit then offer it up. It is currently running +13 seconds in the past 28hrs. No point in trying to regulate it until it breaks in I'm guessing. The movement is brand new factory fresh from ETA.

Oh and mr1973, the dial feet were removed. The dial is glued to the movement holder, then installed in the case. Maybe I should do a mini tutorial.

And b-dog, the oyster will probably just go back in the drawer for something else down the road. It is not in the greatest condition anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

question: how do you remove dial feet? do you attach new dial feet in the positions correct for ETA??

Thanks everyone.

The date disc is actually a cubic works. :p I found it in the parts drawer a while back. The printing is pretty good. Font may be a bit too bold, but at least it is proper for this watch. Open 6 and 9 fonts and proper date rotation to match ETA. I scanned it so I can make it into a vector and maybe one day get some made as they are no longer produced.

Hopefully Mrs. Stilty will like it. If not, it was a fun build and probably wear it for a bit then offer it up. It is currently running +13 seconds in the past 28hrs. No point in trying to regulate it until it breaks in I'm guessing. The movement is brand new factory fresh from ETA.

Oh and mr1973, the dial feet were removed. The dial is glued to the movement holder, then installed in the case. Maybe I should do a mini tutorial.

And b-dog, the oyster will probably just go back in the drawer for something else down the road. It is not in the greatest condition anyway.

question: how do you remove dial feet? do you attach new dial feet in the positions correct for ETA??

Dial feet are easily removed by clipping them and carefully sanding or filing off the burr left from the feet.

So far, I have yet to find a way to attach new dial feet. The proper way to attach feet is to solder them, but that also runs the risk of damaging the dial. If you use a CNC milled movement holder, you can just glue the dial to the movement holder. The holder is a perfect fit for the case and does not shift.

Probably the easiest way to build a franken.

Hi Stility,

Awesome project and very kind of you to build it for your wife, I'm sure she will be excited and excellent choice of the Jubliee strap I think it would look better too on this combo :)

I'm also wondering about the dial feet thing a mini-tutorial *with pics** would be really cool....

I'll contact you again via e-mail about some custom project we were discussing ages ago....

Congrats...

Chris

As Stilty said, clip off the existing dial feet (I use wire clippers) & then gently sand down any remaining roughness (if required). Then place a pair of Bergeon 10040 copper dial feet into the movement ('T' end of copper feet facing up) & lock the feet as you would normally

berg10040.jpg

Here is the link

Put a dab of epoxy on the face of the 'T' & then gently locate the dial into its proper position (hint - if the dial has a date window, be sure the date is centered in the window). Let dry per the epoxy's instructions & you have a better-than-new pair of dial feet in the correct locations for your movement.

Excellent :good:

Datewheel looks like rep from here? Need a closeup. I found even gen silver datewheel on the 1570s sometimes varies in color.

Not that gen oyster bracelet is indecent, but I bet it'd look better with a gen jubilee. The diamond indices matches with beady look of jubilee imho :-)

Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, I had a chance to take a few shots with the Jubilee.

I hope you like the pics.

Unfortunately, the Mrs. doesn't really like this too much. I thought she would, but she thinks it is a bit too flashy.

Here's a nice frontal with a shot of the open 9 in the font.

opennineax9.jpg

Here's a shot of the open 6 in the font. (I was wearing a red shirt and you can see that the color was picked up in the dial and it appears pink)

opensixue1.jpg

Another side shot

sideanglesy1.jpg

Nice looking crystal!

sidejt1.jpg

The Jubilee bracelet is in excellent condition. Nice and tight.

braceletip9.jpg

sideshotik4.jpg

niceposecp8.jpg

backtwodk3.jpg

backonezu9.jpg

A member has expressed interest in this beauty already, and I will give him first dibs. If he is no longer interested, I will offer this up in the trading area with priority to those I know, and to fellow Canadians so there is no customs worries. Thanks.