When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to treat leather strap for waterproof

magagne

Finally I use a spray that I had in my undersink cabinet, I use it for my winter shoes/boot. Dry fast, and don't leave residue. The color turn little darker, but very subtle. It will be waterproff, and stain proof too. I think wax would me messy, or even oil. I think it's better for this kind of strap. But I'll never use that on shinny croco or gator strap.

I'd love to hear the input of a strapmaker...

I for one have always used mink-oil on cheaper straps.. I'm pretty certain its mink fat rendered down into a tub-of-goo state... but it makes my boots waterproof and only slightly darker. Smells a bit the first day though.

I haven't used anything on a nicer strap yet... I should probably inquire with my maker of choice for his input.

Any spray water proofing treatment for leather shoes should work equally for your leather watch band. But keep in mind that these treatments are meant for rain, not underwater use, so I doubt they will fully protect your watch band if you wear it regularly in the shower or for swimming.

Any spray water proofing treatment for leather shoes should work equally for your leather watch band. But keep in mind that these treatments are meant for rain, not underwater use, so I doubt they will fully protect your watch band if you wear it regularly in the shower or for swimming.

Thanks to advise fred, but the purpose of this treatment is just for rainy day, or splash of water when I wash my hands. The purpose of this treatment is not to go under water with the strap (wax will be more appropriate). I don't and will never use leather strap to swim, use only metal bracelet or rubber strap.

This is the result of 4 to 5 pass of mist of spray, on the external surface only (NOT the inner side), dry between each pass (dry very quickly), this picture is after 12 hours so it dry completly.

Sorry for the bad pic, it just a quick snapshot to show you what I use:

IMG_6738.jpg

This is a an exposure of a natural light:

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6746.jpg

I use a product from a company called Pecard. It was recommended to me by tootall, Savage and Greg Stevens. It darkens the leather a little bit initially, but when it dries, it is not noticeably darker. This is a paste-like substance that comes in a tub, not a liquid/spray.

http://www.pecard.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scr...Code=leathdress

Edited by peepshow

Any leather - cow, croc. snake is not waterproof after it comes off the animal.

Basically the ability to withstand water is a function of the natural oils produced by the animal's glands that moisturizes its skin.

No different from humans really.

Quality leather straps (aniline & semi-aniline) are generally not waterproofed as the process will make it lose its suppleness & make it brittle.

Thats the reason bad quality leather will crack & flake after some use ... cos they dry out from the inside.

Leather protectors based on silicon are bad for any leather but that doesn't mean it can't be used.

The treatment will lock out some water but also prevent the leather from breathing & being moisturized.

The trick is to treat your straps with a leather moisturizer/conditioner before applying the protector.