When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Skyland (v2) Review

Daytona4me

Breitling Skyland (v2) Review

I wanted to purchase this watch because I have owned very few Breitling in the last couple years.

This appealed to me because I wanted a sporty, rugged stainless steel watch that will look good

on a bracelet or leather strap. It was also important to me that it have a quality bracelet and have

a double AR Coating. The Skyland met all of these needs!

Some quick measurements that are worth noting about this watch.

Lug Size = 22mm

Bracelet = 22mm which tapers to 20mm at the deployant

Case to crown = 49.5mm

Case back to Crystal = 18mm

It's weight is unparalleled! Please see the comparisons below.

Breitling Skyland (on bracelet) = 237.8 grams

IWC Cousteau'07 (on rubber)= 152.3 grams

Panerai 111H (on leather) = 130.5 grams

DSC00937.jpg

I specifically desired a watch with a deep chapter ring.

I really like like the looks of some many Breitling and IWC watchs except that they have small dials

in comparison to their cases. It is my opinion that a deep chapter ring makes a smaller dial look bigger.

DSC00949.jpg

DSC00939.jpg

I chose the Grey dial option because I felt the matte color will not show the indentation of each

number on the dial. An example of these indentations can be found on the black and blue versions of

the Steel Fish. I also have spotted this same effect on the Skyland with the black and possibly the blue versions.

I feel that this effect is magnified on the glossy dials.

Also notice the 1/2 textured sub dials. The vertical lines give it some personality.

DSC00940.jpg

The details of the crown & pushers and the size of the case are astounding. I have not owned a chronograph where

so much detail has been paid to the pushers, the Skyland really impresses. I feel the crown could

have been a little bit better. The "B" is not as defined as I have seen on other models, but still

not bad. It should note that the threads are much better/thicker than that of the Steel Fish however

I could not find the beginning of the threads easily by turning it counter clockwise...odd..

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00944.jpg

The Bezel is very nice with bezel screws at 5, 10, 20, 25, 35, 40, 50 & 55.

A nicely etched "B" appears just to the left of the pearl position.

The etching on the bezel is better than I've seen before in the aspect that I do not see the

machining inside each number. The hash marks seem to be of consistent spacing around the bezel.

The pearl is high quality and is nicely centered (unlike the blackbird). The font used on the

bezel is spot on.. almost perfect!

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00948.jpg

Although I have only found 1 image of a genuine case back (a small image) it appears to be

relatively correct.

DSC00955.jpg

The bracelet on this watch is better than that which was on the Steel Fish. I have received

this opinion from supermanx as well. It has high quality screws that hold those links in.

I did not have any problems with them, none were seized or stripped. Sizing was easy!

The bracelet is nicely numbered as well. this is a nice bonus.

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00954.jpg

The single deployant clasp is very nice. It has a tight fit but is a little sharp.

This can easily be fixed with a little sand paper. The detail on the clasp and catch are

very good.

DSC00950.jpg

The case back (which fits very snug) protects an asian high beat (28,800) 7750 movement.

Crack open that case back and apply silicone grease to that gasket for better water resistance!

DSC00957.jpg

Thx for this excellent review.....I ordered a graphit version now...with strap and bracelet.....and I am just typing eMails to the several strap-dealers to search for a grey gator...mmmh!

Theo

Do you mean the a version with a graphit dial or graphit case etc? Cause I'm looking for the skyland with graphit/black case and I dont know where to order one in the EU. :p

Case to crown = 49.5mm

Great pics and review, but damn ... I have been drooling over this watch since it first arrived and didn't realize it was this big.

I have a small wrist (6.75") and have never been able to carry off that size. A 44mm PAM seems to be about my limit. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess ... :(

Great pics and review, but damn ... I have been drooling over this watch since it first arrived and didn't realize it was this big.

I have a small wrist (6.75") and have never been able to carry off that size. A 44mm PAM seems to be about my limit. Oh well, back to the drawing board I guess ... :(

I have the same size wrist... it is fine..

Also.. if you measure a 111H from one side of the case to the other side of the crown guard... you will have about the same thing if not a little larger.. this watch is not too big for you!

Here is a wrist shot... (you can see my "pannie line" on my hand .. lol)

DSC00961.jpg

Do you mean the a version with a graphit dial or graphit case etc? Cause I'm looking for the skyland with graphit/black case and I dont know where to order one in the EU. :p

The Skyland Blacksteel might be in the process of making...not out yet, but you can bid your left liver that it will be available in the next weeks :D

The Skyland in simple ss comes with BLACK, BLUE or GRAPHIT dial....it should not be called grey .... compared to the Avenger in Titanium with a grey dial...this color is darker.

Theo

I have the same size wrist... it is fine..

Also.. if you measure a 111H from one side of the case to the other side of the crown guard... you will have about the same thing if not a little larger.. this watch is not too big for you!

Here is a wrist shot... (you can see my "pannie line" on my hand .. lol)

This helps .... thanks for the pic!

I was given an Invicta OG II, which is a 47mm and it hasn't gotten any wrist time because I always felt it was too huge on my wrist (well that and it's an Invicta).

Perhaps I'll dig it out and wear it for a few days to see if I change my mind.

• 2 weeks later...