When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland Blacksteel / PVD is out

Samurai

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clear there's some dodgy photo-processing here, but I suspect this is created from pics not a genuine - the case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny. The DLC process itself isn't particularly difficult or expensive but requires lots of tweaking to get uniform colour I'm told. The caseback is also shitty, around the LE markings as Andrew has already shown (no red number in serial though mate - that's just a caseback sticker in red ;)).

There is indeed a V2 Skyland Black Steel in the works - think it's safe to say which version most will plump for :whistling:

Doc - Are you speaking from experience in having held the Rep & the Gen - or are you just referencing your opinion based on the posted pictures?

Sure would like to hear from someone who has actually held the Rep and the Gen...

I like The "blacksteel" skyland, But I think the normal SS with Grey dial looks more elegant and feel more expensive just by looking @ the picture.

Do you guys agree ? :huh: :huh:

Here The comparison

windyzz - I have seen both the Gen SS Skylander and Black Steel Skylander in person. I have also held the Rep SS v2 Skylander. I have to say - the v2 rep is one hell of a Rep. The case and bracelet finish really does rival that of the Gen. I have a Gen Old Navatimer and have always been impressed with Breitlings ability to polish SS in a way that looks too perfect to be real. The Rep finish is unbelievably close to the Gen.

One thing that impressed me most about the Rep is how smooth the chrono pushers activated and how stable the crown was. My Rep ti Avenger is horrible in this area and the Skylander is much closer to the Gen in feel, although not perfect by any means. The crown stem is still a little wobbly and the bezel is not as smooth as the Gen either, but has come a long way from my rep ti Avenger.

I too am giving a slight nod to the SS version because of the excellent finish on the SS bracelet, although the Black Steel version is tempting. They really are two totally different watches, however, in appearance..

I guess the solution is to buy both!

Edited by jake48

I have seen the gen black steel and the finish is stunning (really almost grey). And as a result the dial "jumps out" of the watch. The finish from the pics above (but of course who can tell from pics) looks very different. Irrespective of who makes the watch (Factory 1 or 2) I am assuming it will need an entirely different finishing. And I agree that they are two very different watches. If you are not a breitling fanatic I almost feel like you don't need the ss if you have an ultimate evo and you think twice about buying the blacksteel (unless it is absolutely perfect) if you own an old school chrono ti.

Went to Josh's site to check if he had posted a price or specs on this one and it appears that the Black Steel has been removed :(

Possibly he read our comments and has decided to make some improvements?

Not sure why you're peddling this line Andreww, as it just confuses newcomers. What you mean is that Josh may have gone back to the factory/maker and pointed out flaws/suggested improvements based on comments. He's simply a wholesaler, not really involved in production as such.

However I think it's more likely he knows the other factory is working on a (so-called) V2 BS, and seeing as how he got badly burned on the V1 SS last time out, he's not stocking/offering the V1 BS.

Not really sure what you're getting at? The V1 Skyland was apparently Josh's commissioned project. Why wouldn't he have a say in what it looks like?

Not really interested in getting into a dealer discussion here, but....

Of course he has a 'say' but he didn't do a perfect job with the V1 did he? Obviously a gap in the chain. The half-lume dot for example. And who "commissioned" the V2 then? Interesting that as soon as Angus announced and started selling this improved version, Josh started to offer it too. Jumped ship as it were from a wholesaler point of view. Almost certainly committed to selling x number of V1s but I imagine the V1's sales (aside from the remorseful early adopters) have been poor given the V2's launch.

The BS preview pics on Josh's site looked exactly like the flawed V1 with a dodgy coating - suspect that given the feedback from the V1 SS and no improvement here shown with the BS prototype, he's pulled the pics until the issues have been sorted out - standard PR issues management. Or possibly aborted the project, who knows, let's wait and see.

My point was just about semantics, that's all, didn't intend to mean otherwise. Apologies.

Interesting that as soon as Angus announced and started selling this improved version, Josh started to offer it too. Jumped ship as it were from a wholesaler point of view. Almost certainly committed to selling x number of V1s but I imagine the V1's sales (aside from the remorseful early adopters) have been poor given the V2's launch.

I'd imagine that the majority of V1's will sell just as easily on the likes of iOffer and CQOut

As usuall - the speculation in this thread is classic of what happens when a new watch is coming out. Pics pop up - people "critique" the watch based on the PHOTOS - and then the watch comes out and it is NOTHING like the first pictures...

and as usuall - I will wait untill someone who has ACTUALLY HELD BOTH THE GEN AND REP in there hands to chime in untill I conclude that the Rep is good or not...

Untill then, it is just a guess -- that is as good as anyone elses -- when it comes to the quality of a watch that no one has even seen!

Guest Mr Jones

Not this way : I have stock with 'old' V1 version and on market is V2 version - all now all looking this new version. My money are frozen what to do .... ok I will take all stock and make PVD coating and promote 'new' version maybe I will sell old version quick.

As usuall - the speculation in this thread is classic of what happens when a new watch is coming out. Pics pop up - people "critique" the watch based on the PHOTOS - and then the watch comes out and it is NOTHING like the first pictures...

Untill then, it is just a guess -- that is as good as anyone elses -- when it comes to the quality of a watch that no one has even seen!

Not sure what you're getting all worked up about. As for a watch that no-one has seen, well the photos Josh posted are very real, no "guess" work involved - they show a prototype that appear to have the same flaws we saw, discussed, and that which appeared on the production version of the V1 SS. So people are perfectly within their rights to "speculate" all they want. If you don't like it, don't read this thread.

Not sure what you're getting all worked up about. As for a watch that no-one has seen, well the photos Josh posted are very real, no "guess" work involved - they show a prototype that appear to have the same flaws we saw, discussed, and that which appeared on the production version of the V1 SS. So people are perfectly within their rights to "speculate" all they want. If you don't like it, don't read this thread.

Who's getting worked up? Not sure how pointing out the fact that this thread is well on its way to a three + and not only has no one seen the watch IN PERSON, but the speculation on the finish is being based on PICTURES, Not sure how you can draw any reasonable conclusion that there is "no guess work involved" when we all know how poorly pictures represent the genuine article.

I actually find it quite amusing and entertaining that before a watch is even released (and with what we know from previous experiences with "factory photos" being way off) people are trying to draw absolutes on the quality/color/finish of a watch.

Re-read the thread bud - sorry the facts are ruffling your feathers...

I give level headed people like andrew credit for posts like this:

Remember, the pics are crap, so its hard to tell how close the finish really is. It'll be interesting to see if this is PVD or blackened steel.

Instead of speculation from a picture that result in posts like this:

Clear there's some dodgy photo-processing here, but I suspect this is created from pics not a genuine - the case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny. The DLC process itself isn't particularly difficult or expensive but requires lots of tweaking to get uniform colour I'm told. The caseback is also shitty, around the LE markings as Andrew has already shown (no red number in serial though mate - that's just a caseback sticker in red ;)).

There is indeed a V2 Skyland Black Steel in the works - think it's safe to say which version most will plump for :whistling:

And you are acusing me of getting worked up? You might want to go back and read what you are posting bro.

and we haven't even got into the reality of wether you have even seen the Genuine in person yet...

For me it is simple and unemotional -

Have you held the Gen? Have you held the Rep?

Based on the above, I take the opinion for what it is worth...

:D:D:D

Edited by jake48

Re-read the thread bud - sorry the facts are ruffling your feathers...

Instead of speculation from a picture that result in posts like this:

You might want to go back and read what you are posting bro.

and we haven't even got into the reality of wether you have even seen the Genuine in person yet...

For me it is simple and unemotional -

Have you held the Gen?

I'd take your own advice about re-reading the thread if I were you before you embarrass yourself further.

Wow...Doc, where are you?? :p
The pvd finish on the rep looks a world of difference when one compares it to doc's gen... imho...
Ha, it's funny because that was my concern, but having both in the flesh they are VERY different watches

Not to mention I already answered your question in post no.31 of this thread as to whether I had handled the gen - I posted a link to the earlier thread. Really, do I have to repeat myself now??? *sigh*

But hey, you go carry on 'demanding' qualified opinions all you like. :nea:

I'd take your own advice about re-reading the thread if I were you before you embarrass yourself further.

Not to mention I already answered your question in post no.31 of this thread as to whether I had handled the gen - I posted a link to the earlier thread. Really, do I have to repeat myself now??? *sigh*

But hey, you go carry on 'demanding' qualified opinions all you like. :nea:

Touche' - didn't click the link...

Now that we have established that you have held the Gen I guess we can also establish you have not held the Rep.

Oh well - like I said, I will reserve my judgement about a watch that has yet to come out until the watch ACTUALLY COMES OUT!

Good luck with all the guessing though...

Still doesn't change the fact that you are just speculating from pictures of a watch that has not come out yet.

Oh, and get some help with the hostility - it really isn't becoming of a "doc"

Edited by jake48

Touche' - didn't click the link...
...or read the posts either, eh? ;)

Oh, and get some help with the hostility - it really isn't becoming of a "doc"
Actually it's quite an occupational hazard....it's called empathy fatigue.....commonly misinterpreted as hostility.....especially common when you deal with certain types who want all the answers and remain difficult despite your best intentions to help them. Ringing any bells? :D

Enough jousting, as I said to Andrew, let's wait and see what the next few weeks bring.

I am beginning to believe that the images of this model were most likely taken around the same time as the SS model. It only makes sense to see this model in the same state as the first V1. We all know by now that this isn't the final model. However, that doesnt mean this model won't introduce flaws that the SS model doesn't have. Such as the actual color of the case/bezel assembly. That may be the blatant flaw on this one. Hopefully they REALLY use the gen as a guide to get it right, but I doubt that!