When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Skyland Blacksteel / PVD is out

Samurai

jake48 this is a replica watch forum, what are we going to do other than speculate over new watches and such like? ;)

If you don't like it, don't participate, but don't get in people faces when they choose to post their ideas and/or opinions, especially when you don't even have the good grace to read the links or posts in the thread at hand....

Now, I wonder how much it will cost over the standard V2, when and if they finally realease something? :p:lol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jake48 this is a replica watch forum, what are we going to do other than speculate over new watches and such like? ;)

If you don't like it, don't participate, but don't get in people faces when they choose to post their ideas and/or opinions, especially when you don't even have the good grace to read the links or posts in the thread at hand....

Now, I wonder how much it will cost over the standard V2, when and if they finally realease something? :p:lol:

Aw, c'mon Mick- Unwadd the panties out of your [censored] and relax a little.

I am just a simple guy who pointed out that this thread was going on three pages and a whole lot of speculating was going on regarding a watch that no one has even seen, yet there were all ready people posting as if they had held the watch in their hands..

For cry'n out loud, cool your jets bro - I wasn't the one calling the watch "shitty" and basing my statements on pictures that, as it turns out, may not even be of the final watch that is YET TO COME OUT!

You don't see the humour in all this? I do...

Like I so politely asked in the beginning before we got of on this childish t!t for tat - Has anyone actually seen both the Gen and Rep?

I didn't think so.

Maybe we can reserve the comments like "the case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny" and keep in mind we are talking about photo's that may be or may not be of the actual watch yet to come out until we see the watch.

What's so frigg'n difficult to grasp about that?

No need to go all jihad my friend. I am looking forward to seeing WHICH version of this watch comes out and for ME I will hold my opinions of whether this watch is "Shitty" or not until I see or speak to someone who has actually seen the watch in it's final form. Until then, like I said before, this thread can go on for 50 more pages, but it will all just be speculation...

Edited by jake48

how much you wanna bet it comes with a non-decorated rotor like the V2 SS? aaaaand, dot @ 3 fixed? aaaaaand lume dots out of wack?!

PP

Now that's more like it - a bet'n man.

I will not only bet that it will have the lume dot fixed? ;) (Like the v2) but I will bet that there will be quite a few things that will be different from the original photo posted on Josh's site...

Aw, c'mon Mick- Unwadd the panties out of your [censored] and relax a little.

I am just a simple guy who pointed out that this thread was going on three pages and a whole lot of speculating was going on regarding a watch that no one has even seen, yet there were all ready people posting as if they had held the watch in their hands..

For cry'n out loud, cool your jets bro - I wasn't the one calling the watch "shitty" and basing my statements on pictures that, as it turns out, may not even be of the final watch that is YET TO COME OUT!

You don't see the humour in all this? I do...

Like I so politely asked in the beginning before we got of on this childish t!t for tat - Has anyone actually seen both the Gen and Rep?

I didn't think so.

Maybe we can reserve the comments like "the case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny" and keep in mind we are talking about photo's that may be or may not be of the actual watch yet to come out until we see the watch.

What's so frigg'n difficult to grasp about that?

No need to go all jihad my friend. I am looking forward to seeing WHICH version of this watch comes out and for ME I will hold my opinions of whether this watch is "Shitty" or not until I see or speak to someone who has actually seen the watch in it's final form. Until then, like I said before, this thread can go on for 50 more pages, but it will all just be speculation...

You just can't help yourself having a dig at me can you? Even when Mickey also calls your comments for what they are. <_<

The caseback in the photos IS "shitty" compared to the gen, it's not even close in accuracy around the LE and serial markings. No trick of the light there, or dodgy angle. In this instance, the photos do not lie. The case coating is a less definitive matter, but not helped by the (and I'll use the word again if it's alright with you) "shitty" photos Joshua's brother-in-law or whomever, takes. Black against black background? Lots of image contrast and other tweaking? Not good.

But it's also clear that the coating on the case is also not right. I know for a fact that even Breitling found this treatment difficult to reproduce and initially there were a lot of QC rejects, and initial production (the first 100 or so serial) were slow off the factory line (was also around this time that they switched the subdials to the half-in-half tuxedo finish). So expecting the V1 maker to be able to match something accurately without a gen to compare directly with, or the exact specs, is a bit naiive. And the photos, whatever you say, tell that story clearly. It looks the very same bog-standard black PVD-type coating we've seen on many a rep, most recently as a brushed finish alternative on the "ceramic" Black Seal. The Skyland Black Steel (hmmm, SBS is quite a fitting acronym, although that's slightly heretical given the 5517 Sub) looks very different to this PVD look, that's all.

Where you see pointless "speculation", we see an opportunity to voice concerns in an attempt to correct flaws at the prototype stage (as seems to be happening here maybe). Perhaps you may consider that if we "reserve comments until the watch is out" and it turns out to have annoying but significant flaws, then that's a little like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. If we all stopped "speculating" and left things to your ilk, we'd probably be sitting here wearing "shitty" Submariners with rehauts you could stir-fry in, and CGs that you could plough a field with.

Aw, c'mon Mick.........*snip*

You are the only one here not posting within the spirit of the forum, I would suggest you reassess your attidute, after all if you read the thread, you will see it's only you that started shouting at other members etc...... For no good reason either, as far as I can tell.....

This is a replica watch forum, to discuss replica watches, new or soon to be released. If you don't like that, as I said, do not participate. However do not try to hammer me, or any other members for just doing what we come here to do......

Where in the forum rules does it say we can discuss watches, as long as they are released and it does not hurt jake48's seemingly delicate sensibilities on the matter :p:lol:

Your point, is at best, pointless..... ^_^

You two (Mick & Doc) had bad day? Bad week? Bad life?

You are starting to squeal like two little pigglets knocked from your mamma's teet - wa, wa, wa , wa, wa.

I'll try to break it down one more time.

For ME a bunch of SPECULATION that came from a PICTURE of a watch that in all likelyhood is not even of the watch as it will be produced, does not have much value to me.

My original request was that I "sure would like to hear form someone who had held both the Gen and Rep". I would think it is as obvious as it is simple.

I really don't see much of an arguement trying to draw conclusions of the quality of a watch yet to be released when those conclusions are based on PICTURES.

I really shouldn't have to explain something as basic as this to someone who has been around long enough to know, but here's a news flash for you guys - the "Factory" photoshops the heck out of thier photos and rarely does the "REAL" watch ever end up looking like it does in the photos.

I am not really sure how one can make statements like this is "shitty" or the "case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny" when we are talking about a frigg'n PICTURE and know one has even seen the watch.

I find this amusing and of no real value - that is all - no reason to get all bent about it.

For me, I like the truth and the facts that usually accompany the truth. It's kinda a real world thing - I prefer observations form the real dealeo.

Now if you two want to go on about how "shitty" the watch that nobody has seen is, from pictures that are probably not even of the watch that will come out, be my guest. I would like to hear from someone who has actually held or seen both - that's all.

As far as the personal attacks and the flaming goes - you guys are amatures- go back and read some of TTK's stuff. Now that was a guy who was good at being an a$$whole...

For ME a bunch of SPECULATION that came from a PICTURE of a watch that in all likelyhood is not even of the watch as it will be produced, does not have much value to me.

My original request was that I "sure would like to hear form someone who had held both the Gen and Rep". I would think it is as obvious as it is simple.

I really don't see much of an arguement trying to draw conclusions of the quality of a watch yet to be released when those conclusions are based on PICTURES.

I really shouldn't have to explain something as basic as this to someone who has been around long enough to know, but here's a news flash for you guys - the "Factory" photoshops the heck out of thier photos and rarely does the "REAL" watch ever end up looking like it does in the photos.

I am not really sure how one can make statements like this is "shitty" or the "case colour is wrong, too dark, too shiny" when we are talking about a frigg'n PICTURE and know one has even seen the watch.

I find this amusing and of no real value - that is all - no reason to get all bent about it.

For me, I like the truth and the facts that usually accompany the truth. It's kinda a real world thing - I prefer observations form the real dealeo.

Now if you two want to go on about how "shitty" the watch that nobody has seen is, from pictures that are probably not even of the watch that will come out, be my guest. I would like to hear from someone who has actually held or seen both - that's all.

As far as the personal attacks and the flaming goes - you guys are amatures- go back and read some of TTK's stuff. Now that was a guy who was good at being an a$$whole...

It's all me me me isn't it? :rolleyes:

Explain to me how you think you'll be able to hear from someone with the rep (and gen) when the rep hasn't been released yet? So should we just lock this thread until it's out, just to please you?

This place doesn't serve to provide you with real world information nor should we have to bend over backwards to accommodate your precious sensibilities on what we can and can't comment on.

As for your admiration for Neil's insults, you're right, he'd have ripped you a new one for living up to a certain stereotype.

@Jake , I don't know where you get the idea that the photos posted on Josh's site were some sort of prototype. The pics were posted in his "New Products" section, along with about 10 other pieces. As usual it was accompanied by no specs, and a price marker of $888,888. Nothing unusual there. Why were all the other descriptions updated as usual, yet this one disappeared completely? Let me tell you, this isn't a common occurrence.

Explain to me how you think you'll be able to hear from someone with the rep (and gen) when the rep hasn't been released yet?

Exactlty! I see you are starting to see the light...

Now can we move along from the childish jibber jabber and talk about the watch.

I kinda like poopypants bet that the watch in the picture probably won't be the watch produced.

What do you think?

Yes lets save the discussion until after the watch is released with all the flaws, so that there is 0 chance it will be fixed... or we could point it out in advanced (like the color white of the SA, the two 80s on the AS chapter ring). Maybe we have zero influance, maybe not but what is the harm in a discussion.

I wouldn't buy a PVD skyland, PVD<>BLACKSTEEL period. They do not look the same, you may have photos that look similar but the finish is not the same.

@Jake , I don't know where you get the idea that the photos posted on Josh's site were some sort of prototype. The pics were posted in his "New Products" section, along with about 10 other pieces. As usual it was accompanied by no specs, and a price marker of $888,888. Nothing unusual there. Why were all the other descriptions updated as usual, yet this one disappeared completely? Let me tell you, this isn't a common occurrence.

I agree - Josh's MO is to post a "Factory" picture with the $888,888 price and then usually there after, he posts the price and that the watch is available. On more than one occasion, however, I have seen watches go up and then disappear on his site. If I am not mistaken, this happened with the SSD.

Not sure that it really means anything and I have never said I believe the watch pictured on Josh's site is of a "protoype" - it's just that after all the years I have been doing this I think we can all agree that RARELY does the initial picture of a watch do the real McCoy justice. Sometime the watch is better than the photo and sometimes it is considerably worse than the photo would leave you to believe.

For the most part I try to seek out info on watches that come from someone with REAL first hand knowledge. This, for me, is someone who has held both the Gen and Rep. My observation up untill this point, that the watch pictured will probably be conserderably different than the watch produced, is based on the following.

Factory photos have a verifiable history of being heavily photo shopped.

On countless occassions dealers have posted pictures of watches to be realeased - yet when the watch is realeased it is nothing like the photos that were posted.

PVD/black finnishes on watches can be photographed 10 times and you will end up with 10 different looks.

Josh put up and then removed the photo

That of course calls into question (for ME) the value of people who are so eager to proclaim a watch DOA before it is even released and anyone has even seen it. All I am saying, or have ever said here, is wouldn't it be prudent to hold off proclaiming a watch "Shitty" when we should be considering the factors I have mentioned?

What do you think Andrew? Do you really think the watch that was pictured will be exactly like the picture when it is finally realeased? I am not really into specualting, but truthfully, I don't think it is much of a strech to say the final watch produced will probably be different from the one pictured.

Untill then, complaining about how bad the watch is seems pointless to me as we really can't say for sure what the final version will look like...

Yes lets save the discussion until after the watch is released with all the flaws, so that there is 0 chance it will be fixed... or we could point it out in advanced (like the color white of the SA, the two 80s on the AS chapter ring). Maybe we have zero influance, maybe not but what is the harm in a discussion.

I wouldn't buy a PVD skyland, PVD<>BLACKSTEEL period. They do not look the same, you may have photos that look similar but the finish is not the same.

Super - You bring up a good point, but I would ask that you consider a few realities - most of what we say here has little to no effect on what the factories produce. Some dealers have an influence with the manufactures, and yes our forum helps with our discussions to direct some input, but the reality is the manufacturers have made decisions to produce a watch long before we ever get involved and it will be made the way "they" want to make it - not the way "we" wanted them to make it.

Look at how long the simple design of a 16610 is and people have been crying for years about how bad it is and yet we keep getting cr@p from the "Factories" Do you really think "we" have that much influence? The "Factories" for the most part, do what they want and for us to somehow believe that we change their course is like the fly on the tip of a charging rhinoceroses nose thinking the fly made the rhino go where the fly wanted. Sad, but true...

IF I were to engage in any meaningful input that I thought would help with making a watch more accurate I would (and have) email the dealers direct with my input. Coming on a thread and blasting the "flaws" of a picture is easy and I am not sure it does a whole lot of good other than stroke someone

Edited by jake48

What do you think Andrew? Do you really think the watch that was pictured will be exactly like the picture when it is finally realeased? I am not really into specualting, but truthfully, I don't think it is much of a strech to say the final watch produced will probably be different from the one pictured.

Unfortunately the older I get, the more cynical I get. having spent time in the manufacturing industry at one point in my life, I know that projects are coordinated to incur as little cost as possible. In the case of the V1 Skyland, I would guess that the black steel dial and insert were manufactured at the same time as the SS version. Thus the reason why the half dot was not fixed. The timing seems about right that a certain number of SS cases and parts were simply sent for PVD coating at about the same time the SS Skyland hit the market. I am almost certain that what we saw in Josh's photo is exactly what is going to be delivered.

Why was it pulled? Maybe the negative spin from us, possibly its just not ready, or maybe he's decided to put it on an Ocean Racer strap in an effort to move them. Who knows?

What I find most interesting in the whole Skyland saga is this;

For months Josh had been bragging about his 1 to 1 Skyland that he had purchased a gen for. Obviously, this would be a "cartel only" watch, correct? So, Josh released the V1 first, and we all assumed that it was the results of Josh's 1 to 1 project. But, the version II is released by PT (supposedly a cartel member), and Josh quickly posts that watch as well. Which watch is actually Josh's? Again, we would assume that Josh's watch would be for the cartel only, so why is Silix unloading the V1 for $200, significantly less than Josh? If the V1 was Josh's project, this really doesn't make much sense. It makes more sense that the V2, which is still only available from cartel dealers, is in fact Josh's project. Now, privately, people in high places have told me both sides of the story, so I'm still as confused as I ever was.

What do you think?

Unfortunately the older I get, the more cynical I get. having spent time in the manufacturing industry at one point in my life, I know that projects are coordinated to incur as little cost as possible. In the case of the V1 Skyland, I would guess that the black steel dial and insert were manufactured at the same time as the SS version. Thus the reason why the half dot was not fixed. The timing seems about right that a certain number of SS cases and parts were simply sent for PVD coating at about the same time the SS Skyland hit the market. I am almost certain that what we saw in Josh's photo is exactly what is going to be delivered.

Why was it pulled? Maybe the negative spin from us, possibly its just not ready, or maybe he's decided to put it on an Ocean Racer strap in an effort to move them. Who knows?

What I find most interesting in the whole Skyland saga is this;

For months Josh had been bragging about his 1 to 1 Skyland that he had purchased a gen for. Obviously, this would be a "cartel only" watch, correct? So, Josh released the V1 first, and we all assumed that it was the results of Josh's 1 to 1 project. But, the version II is released by PT (supposedly a cartel member), and Josh quickly posts that watch as well. Which watch is actually Josh's? Again, we would assume that Josh's watch would be for the cartel only, so why is Silix unloading the V1 for $200, significantly less than Josh? If the V1 was Josh's project, this really doesn't make much sense. It makes more sense that the V2, which is still only available from cartel dealers, is in fact Josh's project. Now, privately, people in high places have told me both sides of the story, so I'm still as confused as I ever was.

What do you think?

Good observations and you have every right to be cynical. I will check with some of my sources and see what they have to say about the Black Skyland. Untill then - what do I think? What I can say is that, as we know, there is more than one "Factory" Josh and Andrew do not have quite the pull many think they have - there are other dealers out there, some known, some unknown here on these boards, that have just as much pull with the "Factories" as Josh and Andrew would want you to believe. It's just that these other dealers keep a much lower profile and prefer to keep it that way.

As far as "proprietary" watches and exclusive rights go - it's the frigg'n Chinese we are dealing with here. They are the hands down, uncontested, Olympian Champions of ripping off patented things - whether it be watches, software, missles or motorcyles - or each other for that matter - it's all fair game - there are no "rules" to speak of. We tend to approach the idea of ownership with a Western mind set of exclusivity- they do not.

Anything can and does go - the Cartel can "claim" exclusivity, but the reality is that as soon as it makes business sense for the "Factory" to sell to someone else - they do...

Edited by jake48

Ok....the watch is out....same as the pics put up earlier.

The watch is being termed as a limited edition PVD Skyland.....not sure if a gen of that exists....or if this is supposed to be the blacksteel version. Seems to be V1 still....look @ the lume dot @ 3.

Cheers

I don't think it is much of a strech to say the final watch produced will probably be different from the one pictured.
Now that's more like it - a bet'n man. I will not only bet that it will have the lume dot fixed? ;) (Like the v2) but I will bet that there will be quite a few things that will be different from the original photo posted on Josh's site...
Ok....the watch is out....same as the pics put up earlier. Seems to be V1 still....look @ the lume dot @ 3.

So will you be welching on that bet Jake? Or shifting the goalposts and bleating about seeing the watch in person? :)

I think we've put that issue to bed now hopefully.