When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer 1 Help

Guest hoopty

Guest hoopty

After doing some research I decided on purchasing a EXP 1. Yesterday I finally received it, after traveling a long way from the Netherlands.

DSC02571.jpg

Being an artist I have already started to notice some flaws which are already giving me an itch, soo for reassurance I made a trip to my local Rolex AD and came to realize that my reps crystal is not as thick and has the very evident ROLEX crown itching at 6 o'clock, which the original did not. Also that the crown on my REP is thicker when compared to its GEN counter part.

I am sorry if I am sounding anal, But I have a keen eye, even though it's a superb rep, which honestly feels just as good as the original. I guess I already want to mod it. so any suggestions on where I can source those parts?

Also I have already spoken to some of the moders; most have openly stated that they have never worked with this particular model and dont know if they will be able to help. any suggestions on who I can inquire too?

Thank You

Guest hoopty
I guess the only mod you can do on it is installing a gen crown+tube.

I'm pretty sure that a gen crystal will not fit.

Or you can buy a gen case+crystal+crown for around 250$ and build a franken explorer like ubi did.

Thanks, Though any Idea where I can source any of those from?

Or you can buy a gen case+crystal+crown for around 250$ and build a franken explorer like ubi did.

Agreed :) This is probably one of the more cost effective frankens that one could do...

Start with a gen 16200 case set:

IMG_2826.jpg

Pop the cyclops:

IMG_2848.jpg

Add a gen 14270 or 114270 dial:

IMG_2867.jpg

IMG_2881.jpg

Plus an ETA 2824:

IMG_2883.jpg

Finish with hands:

IMG_3152.jpg

All for less than $700US, which is one of the less expensive frankensteins out there.

You can also build a franken using your existing dial, although it is a bit more difficult. When I was ready to build mine I couldn't find a genuine dial for a reasonable price. I opted to use a rep dial. Unfortunately it doesnt fit the gen 16200 case without modification as the diameter of the dial is slightly too large. I used a rubber washer between the top of the dial and the mandrel screw head and screwed the dial on to the mandrel of my dremel. Once attached I started the dremel and ground the edge of the dial on a fine grinding stone until it fit perfectly in the 16200 case. I was pleasantly surprised that dial remained intact during this procedure and the results were not bad at all. I will replace the rep dial one of these days when I come acorss one for a fair price. Most of the components were in my spare parts bins so this was a very inexpensive project.

Anyway, here is a pic of the genuine case, rep exp 1 dial, eta 2836 movement and an MBW hollow link bracelet with genuine 558 endlinks and genuine clasp.

Exp1-1.jpg

No kidding :wub: I just might have to track down some parts and use the GF's EXP1 and build this for her.

You will also need one of these:

Sorry for the shameless plug ;)

ETA 2824-2 movement holder to fit in 16200 case. Perfect CNC machining for stem alignment and case fitting. They make Frankenbuilding so much easier!

holdersloosepm4.jpg

Rignt now, I'm pretty much sold out of these, but am hoping to have some more made soon if the shop can squeeze me in.

You will also need one of these:

Sorry for the shameless plug ;)

ETA 2824-2 movement holder to fit in 16200 case. Perfect CNC machining for stem alignment and case fitting. They make Frankenbuilding so much easier!

holdersloosepm4.jpg

Rignt now, I'm pretty much sold out of these, but am hoping to have some more made soon if the shop can squeeze me in.

Ahhh.. How could I forget! These little gems will make the install go 100x easier! Definitely worth the small investment to do the job right!

• 5 weeks later...