When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Titanium Pam194 review

Chronus

Some may have noticed over the last year or so that I have been wanting a titanium PAM194. Sadly, all the board dealers only stock a version in stainless steel, which is incorrect for this model. The caseback also says "stainless steel" on these reps and they are reportedly heavy.

Apart from accuracy of materials, I also have a problem with the nickel in stainless steel, so titanium is a great material for the summer.

The Genuine

As far as I know, the genuine PAM194 was a 2004 limited edition with a run of 1000 units, and had a titanium case to withstand water pressure to the rated 2500m depth, hence why this is part of the Submersible range.

I believe the case (and caseback) is titanium with an automatic helium release valve, the crown guard (and possibly crown) and bezel are of brushed stainless steel. The markers of the bezel are white gold and polished. Tritium is used on the dial, however it appears that the colour of the hands may be luminova, accounting for the "Luminor" on the dial. The bottom of the dial says "T Swiss Made T" to indicate the tritium content of the markers. The sapphire crystal is very thick to withstand the pressure and has an anti-reflective coating. The watch comes on a rubber strap, however I am unsure as to whether the buckle should be titanium or steel - the official site says brushed steel.

The movement is a Panerai-decorated ETA 7750 movement with the chrono module removed, leaving the running seconds at the 9 o'clock position, and the date at the 3 o'clock position with a magnifier under the crystal for ease of use.

Here are pictures of a genuine (taken from a website, not my pictures):

30paneraipam194panerailry8.th.jpgpaneraipam194luminorsubvr4.th.jpg

paneraipam194luminorsubrg9.th.jpgpaneraipam194luminorsubtb0.th.jpgpaneraipam194luminorsubrx4.th.jpg

The search for a titanium rep

So far, there has only been one known dealer (not on the board) that has the titanium version. That dealer be the infamous Watchonpo. This is not the so-called English-speaking representative who ran off with Slay's money, that was Ken [note: NOT RWG mod Kenberg] also known as Etaworldgoods. If you come across Etaworldgoods, please avoid him. Or report him to Slay. Apparently Etaworldgoods was a Japanese reseller of Watchonpo's wares based in the US, but not Watchonpo themselves. Watchonpo rarely deals outside of the Japanese market.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I had tried all the board dealers in the past in an attempt to get this titanium version. The two PAMs I had been after for so long were this one in titanium, and an accurate PAM187 with ETA7753 movement. Sadly, the latter may never happen, but in the case of the titanium PAM194, my luck was in for once. A kind RWG member helped me to source a titanium PAM194 direct from the genuine Watchonpo of Japan. A big thankyou to this member - who will remain nameless, unless he or she wants to announce themselves! It has been a long and patient quest to eventually get this model since the first PAM194 reps came out, and since thomasng discovered the titanium version on Watchonpo's site. As the saying goes, all good things come to those who wait.

Here are the pictures from Watchonpo's site:

sub2500tisl9.th.jpg

To tell the truth, I had completely veered away from Panerai until this. I believe I have virtually all the PAMs I had wanted, and really, I have had no money to get any reps (or much else) lately! It is all tied up with the accountant and paying taxes so I have been living on credit cards that I cannot afford to pay, and sponging off parents for dinner. This is the only watch that would have got me out of rep-watch semi-retirement and make me stretch that credit card a little bit longer!

Disclaimer

The reason for writing this review is that I may be the first one on the boards to get the titanium version. I have never written a watch review before, so please be kind. Pictures of the genuine for comparison are at the top. Also, pardon my photos, they were taken with a Nokia N82 cameraphone - the only "camera" I own, so do not expect any Pugwash, Ubiquitous or By-Tor quality photos. These are quick and dirty pictures resized in Paint and uploaded to imageshack.

The Review

I will not be comparing much to the genuine, as I have never handled one in person, and the photos are up at the top of this post. Hopefully, more informed experts (cue Kruzer00 etc) can chime in.

The rep uses an Asian copy of the ETA 7750, no doubt also with the chronograph functions removed. These should be more reliable without the chrono functions and it has worked very well in this case so far.

Pictures from the front:

25pam19421082008741ox1.th.jpg25pam19421082008742lm4.th.jpg

The dial markers definitely have a different colouration to that of the hands and "pearl", which both have pretty good lume and glowed in the shadows after brief exposure to natural light. The whole dial glows when exposed to a bulb for 10 seconds, however the hands and pearl are still strongest. The markers also appear to have black surrounds, but I have only viewed the watch indoors so far (as I have been home sick all week). The running seconds appears to be on the same plane as the rest of the dial, no raised or indented subdial here as far as I can tell.

25pam19421082008748yj2.th.jpg25pam19421082008749zl6.th.jpg

The bezel and crown guard are brushed stainless steel with polished markers. I am not sure how secure the markers are, I can hope they are of the screwed-in variety that were in the original Watchonpo run of PAM187 reps, but I would hazard a guess that it will be the same as the stainless steel version of this rep - however I have never seen that rep in person.

The dashes around the bezel are engraved in, as is the 45 minute part-circle that leads off around the crystal.

25pam19421082008758sc6.th.jpg25pam19421082008759fp3.th.jpg

The obvious thing is that the crystal has no anti-reflective coating. Watchonpo would probably have mentioned that on his page if it did. This lack of coating can make the date difficult to read with light reflecting everywhere.

Photo of the caseback:

25pam19421082008746ek4.th.jpg

The caseback says "titanium" and indicates it is a "G" serial with a run of 1000.

Photo of the crown guard side:

25pam19421082008747ut9.th.jpg

Photos of the helium valve side:

25pam19421082008744nk4.th.jpg25pam19421082008743yt0.th.jpg

The helium valve is polished with the "He" on the same plane as the valve. It is not raised, and if it is engraved, it is not deep at all. I am not sure if these valves move around in the genuine, as the pictures I have seen have the "He" at a different angle.

It may not be clear from the pictures, but the sides of the caseback are polished while the back is the usual dark-ish titanium. The sides of the bezel (where the "teeth" are to grip the bezel) are also polished on the side but not on the top.

The rubber strap is probably a typical rubber strap that everyone has seen for the 47mm watches already. Not as great or accurate to genuine, but it does the job. The supplied buckle may be titanium, however - something I prefer to a steel buckle, so I am happy.

Size comparison with other watches

The PAM194 is a 47mm watch. Here are some comparisons with other sized watches. Apologies for no PAM127 comparison, as I do not have one.

Group shot of multiple watches. Note the Corum is raised and not flat like the others due to the strap.

From left to right, 40mm Omega Seamaster Chronograph; IWC AMG Ingenieur; Oris TT1 Chronograph; Breitling Avenger Seawolf; Breitling Chrono Avenger; PAM194; Corum Admiral's Cup; standard 44mm PAM.

25pam19421082008751lk1.th.jpg

Here are a couple of closer shots:

25pam19421082008752xe6.th.jpg25pam19421082008753ye0.th.jpg

The PAM194 compared to the standard 40mm Omega Seamaster Chronograph and a standard 44mm PAM:

25pam19421082008756nk9.th.jpg

Comparison shots with the titanium 48mm Corum Admiral's Cup:

25pam19421082008757ah5.th.jpg25pam19421082008760rs9.th.jpg

And finally, a wristshot:

25pam19421082008737rp1.th.jpg

So far, I am liking this watch :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I hope this helps those who have waited for this watch as long as I have!

Edited by Chronus

Hi buddy, I am happy to see you got your holy grail and it brought you back to the active rep world!

Thanks for the excellent review. It looks an exceptionally accurate rep -- as in Watchompo's tradition.

How does it feel to be the only one in the world to own such a rep? :D

Really congrats! Wear it well, in good health, and rich. :)

R-

Congrats on the watch. It looks really good. The movement should give you no problem in the date only cofiguration. he valve actually looks good. The artificial silver ring running around the inside of the crystal on the SS version is gone on yours and that is a big improvement. The gen 187 has it and the 194 doesn't. On the markers I would guess they are mounted but not screwed as I ultimately found that the 187 did not have screws. And as you know the markers are chromium plated base metal so be careful and never polish them. Overall, it looks to be everything we were hoping for. Kudos for yoy for actually doing it. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

thanks for the review...this model was for a long time on my wishlist but due to the fact that the on board dealers never mamanged to get this on in titanium, I decided not to go for the SS version (since the gen is ti!)...

it would be interesting if you could compare the weight of yours with the one in SS (from another member)...

congrats for being the only one on the rep boards with a 194 ti!

Thanks for the comments!

All I have to do is get some AR on it, perhaps a cyclops (I still have some Watchmen cyclops !) and I'll be even happier.

Strange being the only one in the English-speaking rep world to get one so far... where's Willith been? I thought he wanted one too.

Edited by Chronus

Nice review. I never wear my 187 because the bulk and weight makes it feel ridiculous.. but maybe the titanium version would help.. Its weird this never made to it to our dealers, most of the Honpo models ultimately do arrive via our guys.

it would be interesting if you could compare the weight of yours with the one in SS (from another member)...

I get the hint ;)

I just got out of bed! (been sick all of last week with a fever, but thankfully almost back to normal now)

Anyway, it'd be great to tell the weight difference between the two. The SS one must be heavy!

Thank You for the nice review and congratulations to the unnamed member that helped You in sourcing it.

Wear it in good health.

Thanks, and it couldn't have been done without them, I can't stress how helpful they were!

Great review Chronus. GGlad you got your grail. Congrats for navigating the Hopno maze to get it...

How was the pricing from Hopno direct?

It was the same price as Honpo... just convert the Yen into Dollars and you get the Dollar price. Plus shipping. The Yen price was around 35,000 Yen (it's on his website).

Great review my friend.. Very happy you finally found it :D

Strap options for it? Only rubber?

I still have the Europelli carbon I got from you years ago... been waiting all this time ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Amazing watch.... Wear it in good health!

Hmmm i m thinkg if we can do something as a community to open a communication channel with this dealer... Any ideas?

If you can find someone based in China/HK/Japan, perhaps it could happen... And helpful if they speak Japanese.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
chronus

your pm box is full

i am an eye dr and can answer most questions about lasik

and want to ask about the 194

thanks

Been away a while.

I've had LASEK done in one eye... once I get my other health problems sorted out (chronic back pain, multiple bulging/herniated discs) I'll look at getting the other eye done.

Anyway, I tried to get a couple of friends in contact with the person who helped me get this but seems like Watchonpo just disappeared on them :(

Best bet is finding a Japanese speaker who can mail him, or even better someone in that area.