When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 GMT Master Project - Update

freddy333

This thread is an update of & continuation from Taking on the 6542 GMT Master & Before there was a 1675

I just received the Silix CG-less Sub case & based on my preliminary inspection & measurements, it looks like my back-up Silix-based 6542 Project watch may be a go!!!!

Silix actually sent the watch that is pictured/described on the website. The case on this watch is noticeably thinner than their other CG-less Sub or GMT cases. But, more importantly, the bezel looks to be the correct size to make the swap with MY's aftermarket 6542 bezel an even exchange

genbezel.jpg

This means it may just snap right into place (without any mods). :Jumpy:

Anyway, here are some shots of the gen 6542 followed by the initial quick & dirties of the Silix Sub rols176

Here is the target - gen Rolex 6542 GMT Master with Perspex (bakelite) bezel insert

gen6542.jpg

(Update/Correction - After receiving MY's insert, I now see that this gen 6542 has been fitted with the same insert/bezel (most of the original Perspex inserts have disintegrated by now, which is 1 of the reasons these gens are so rare & valuable). Looks pretty good, huh?)

Rols176

rols1760161.jpg

Here is another gen target Rolex 6542 GMT Master with Perspex (bakelite) bezel insert

1233.jpg

Rols176 (remember we are only concerned with the size, shape & profile of the middle case)

rols1760041.jpg

Here is the target - gen Rolex 6542 GMT Master with Perspex (bakelite) bezel insert

1234.jpg

Rols176 (I will obviously have to grind/polish the side to remove the bumps on either side of the crown & flatten the side, which is currently round)

rols1760091.jpg

Here is rols176 next to my 6239 for a comparison of case sizes/shapes (rols176 is a very narrow case)

rols17640151.jpg

Then I removed the bezel (I removed it by wedging a knife between the top of the case & bottom of the bezel & gently pried it off)

rols17620341.jpg

rols17620401.jpg

The all-important side profiles

1st the gen

genside.jpg

Now rols176 (again, the side will need to be grinded/polished flat)

rols17620421.jpg

rols17620461.jpg

The bezel contains a hexagonally-shaped wire spring that fits around the lip on the case opening (the case opening is gasketed, by the way)

rols17620491.jpg

rols17620471.jpg

rols17620351.jpg

rols17620361.jpg

Ok, so how does this thing really measure up?

rols17620031.jpg

rols17620071.jpg

rols17620161.jpg

rols17620191.jpg

rols17620261.jpg

rols17620291.jpg

rols17620561.jpg

rols17630061.jpg

Do we have the makings of a 6542 here?

It looks pretty close freddy. You may need to block sand more of a gentle curve into top of the lugs where they taper down. What kind of movement do you plan on using?

Initially, for this 1, a chs (for 6542 - GMT/hour/minute/second) 2836-2 from a standard GMT rep. Once the watch is complete, the next step will be to upgrade to a 'slow beat' 2846 modified with GMT functions from the 2836-2.

There are 2 main keys to this backup project -

1. Fitting MY's bezel/insert to this case. Once that is done, I think the case can be made to match the NDTrading case, but for a fraction of the cost.

2. Finding a reasonable rep or aftermarket 6542 dial that can be relumed & vintagized to good effect without paying NDTrading prices. In other words, a good base dial for less than $250.

If I can successfully pull these 2 off, then the rest is a cakewalk.

I can hunt around and see if a friend has a caliper. If I can find one, then I'll get the numbers for you.

Did you notice my crystal retaining ring is triangular in cross-section? MY bezels will snap down over that arrangement, but the Silix retaining ring is tall and squared off at the shoulders. Perhaps some shaping of that top edge will let the MY piece slide down over it better?

This is looking REALLY nice. Keep up the good work!

I can hunt around and see if a friend has a caliper. If I can find one, then I'll get the numbers for you.

Thanks, that would help alot.

I took some new pics of the Silix watch posed similar to your watch so we can get a better idea how they compare, but my main computer crashed right after that & have been working on that as well as trying to upload the pics from 2 other machines, neither of which is faring much better than the crashed machine. Anyway, I finally got them uploaded, but I have to return to my TCP Windows stacks & abstract hardware layers :bangin:

rols17650081.jpg

rols17650121.jpg

rols17650131.jpg

Did you notice my crystal retaining ring is triangular in cross-section? MY bezels will snap down over that arrangement, but the Silix retaining ring is tall and squared off at the shoulders. Perhaps some shaping of that top edge will let the MY piece slide down over it better?

Perhaps, but that is exactly the way the Silix bezel works - its inner spring snaps down over the squared edge. I think both bezel assemblies work the same way, but your case is just rounded either by design, age or use. I do see that your case is thinner than the Silix case, but the gen watch I am using as a model looks thicker than your case......more like the Silix. Take a look & let me know what you think? I have had too many broken Windows rattling around in my head today to think straight....

This is looking REALLY nice. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, I will.

remember freddy, I have a Clarks 116 crystal if you need it.

Thanks. I may take you up on that, but I want to do this in order. Next step is to fit the MY bezel/insert. That is the next big hurdle. If/when that task has been successfully completed, I move on to finding a dial. Once I get to that point, I will have to evaluate how successful (or not) the project is (do I have the makings of a gen-like 6542 or just a complicated rep) & then decide whether the watch deserves an investment in gen parts. If not, your Clarks 116 should do the trick. But I have to get from here to there 1st. Of course, things are somewhat on hold until I get my computer put back together again.

Windows :bicycle::angry::blink::bangin: