When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Ebel 1911 Discovery Chronograph (Asian 7750)

By-Tor

Which Ebel are you getting?

You make this hobby hard you know that pug, i used to be anti breitling then you got a SFSO, 6 months later i caved in and the wife stole it off me. Did you not do a photo shoot of an ingy or was it Max, i had to get one, Now this from BT, I must be strong, i Must be strong.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for an excellent review! Im sold :)

Whilst a genuine 1911 is a nice idea and I did seriously consider purchasing one a few months ago the deappreciation on them if your decided to sell it on is crazy. It cant hold its value on the pre owned market like a Rolex or Omega, expect to sell at a 40% loss. Thats the only reason that put me off from purchasing an Ebel although the company do seem to be spending alot on its brand awareness.

Thanks man.

Yes, they're definitely accurate on the rep... my studio setup has very strong light exposure and I tend to add some extra contrast to the pics. Check the natural light wrist shot (or Lewis' picture above), they're dark "grey" and "brownish"... and look black only from certain angles.

Dial isn't pure white, either... it's "yellowish" warm white. But the double AR is "blueish" and very strong, which lessens the "yellow effect" (again on a direct light exposure). Blue and yellow are opposite in the color map, so the dial color can vary, depending on the light (and angle).

Great to hear! I was trying to minimize my rep collection, but if it doesn't wear too big this is very tempting... Lucky for me Capice doesn't live too far from my place :)

Thanks for an excellent review! Im sold :)

Whilst a genuine 1911 is a nice idea and I did seriously consider purchasing one a few months ago the deappreciation on them if your decided to sell it on is crazy. It cant hold its value on the pre owned market like a Rolex or Omega, expect to sell at a 40% loss. Thats the only reason that put me off from purchasing an Ebel although the company do seem to be spending alot on its brand awareness.

That's a good observation. Ebels depreciate a lot, and you can find good deals of them in the preowned market. Especially of those 80'S models, which (like I stated in my review) aren't always very desirable (design wise). But then again pretty much all luxury watches, except Rolex stainless steel sports models depreciate in a rapid rate. I doubt Ebel is any worse than Chopard, IWC or DeWitt in that regard.

And Rolex dress models, and even twotone/gold sports models lose their value badly. More bling = less value in the 2nd hand market.

You can find lots of great gen Ebels, Omegas and Breitlings for cheap (if the design isn't "trendy" by today's standards). Most of the older models are very small (35-36mm), which seems to be directly tied to the low value.

Excellent review thanks BT.......again :)

What is interesting to note is that at one time rep manufacturers would not reproduce watches that were on the lower end of the market (1 to 3K) as the theory was that most could afford the gen.

Now however we are not only seeing these watches but they are coming out as super reps.

Ken

Excellent review thanks BT.......again :)

What is interesting to note is that at one time rep manufacturers would not reproduce watches that were on the lower end of the market (1 to 3K) as the theory was that most could afford the gen.

Now however we are not only seeing these watches but they are coming out as super reps.

I think the main reason behind this, is that the "low-end" genuines (if you can call $2-$3K watches "low end") utilize the ETA 7750 movements. Just as I stated in the review, the more expensive BTR uses an inhouse movement which can't be replicated properly (due to spacing). Of course the more accurate replicas sell better:

There are lots of examples: Breitlings, TAG Link Chrono, Seamaster Chrono, Aquaracer, etc. etc.

All are "low end" luxury watches... but I doubt the gen counterpart being "affordable" is the biggest factor of their success, it's the accuracy. On the other hand... how much did the Planet Ocean chrono sell? Not much, and the dealers offer it in big discounts to clean their stocks. It didn't sell, because the spacing was off.

If you think about it, the only "high end" chronograph with correct subdial spacing (in reps) is the seconds at '6 Daytona. Because we're stuck with A7750 we (most likely) will never see accurate reps of Zenith Flyback, TAG Link Calibre 36, Ebel BTR, Omega Speedmaster, PO Chrono, etc. The wrong spacing IS a big issue to many.

Guest carlsbadrolex

BT, see you thought we didnt love you!!! You have once again proven that the time and dedication needed to produce a stellar review IS appreciated by the masses.

This is a perfect example of what people see in this community! And I personally thank you!

NOW, on to the tech specs and pics included in your review... YOU NO GOOD %^#$&**&^%.

I should throw you a spanking like you wouldnt believe! You know damn well Im on a chrono buying spree and then you go and do this to me.

NOW I HAVE to order both a black and white dial.

I did read mention of a tight bracelet. Did they pull a BnM Rivierra and make all the bracelets extra short? Is my 7.75 wrist going to fit in one of these?

Thanks again, BT incredible review!

T

BT, see you thought we didnt love you!!! You have once again proven that the time and dedication needed to produce a stellar review IS appreciated by the masses.

This is a perfect example of what people see in this community! And I personally thank you!

NOW, on to the tech specs and pics included in your review... YOU NO GOOD %^#$&**&^%.

I should throw you a spanking like you wouldnt believe! You know damn well Im on a chrono buying spree and then you go and do this to me.

NOW I HAVE to order both a black and white dial.

:D

I did read mention of a tight bracelet. Did they pull a BnM Rivierra and make all the bracelets extra short? Is my 7.75 wrist going to fit in one of these?

Thanks again, BT incredible review!

You're welcome man.

Regarding the bracelet... it (barely) fits my '8 wrist with all links intact, but it's tight. But that's perfect for me, because I wear all my watches very tight... always had. It's not ridiculously tight though... just comfortably tight (for me)... very little free space between the wrist and band. Just like my gen Rolex Oyster band... all links intact and micro adjustment to the second last one. Tight but not too tight.

There's no micro adjustment on this Ebel... so if you like a "loose fit" you'd better ask an extra link from your dealer. There's not much difference between '7.75 and '8.

Navitimer bracelet won't fit my wrist at all, and this bracelet is definitely larger. But again... it all depends how you prefer to wear it.

@blade007: Read the review again. :D I mentioned the flaws (overly protruded pushers and the crown, which doesn't screw in enough). Very small flaws, imho. My SEL vs. lugs gap is almost non-existant, but there seems to be much bigger gap on capice's and Lewis' watches. Looks like a typical QC issue to me.

@blade007: Read the review again. :D I mentioned the flaws (overly protruded pushers and the crown, which doesn't screw in enough). Very small flaws, imho. My SEL vs. lugs gap is almost non-existant, but there seems to be much bigger gap on capice's and Lewis' watches. Looks like a typical QC issue to me.

oh yes indeed you did. TBH, it didnt even register as a flaw in my brain, it was that minor. All in all I guess this could be the next thing i spend my money on. Thanks again friend.

Thanks Ubi. I knew you'd like it.

This wears bigger than Daytona, which (imho) doesn't wear as big as 40mm (although it is)... the caseback has been designed so it doesn't sit very high on the wrist, and the overall look is very "slim". Aquaracer day-date is listed as same 43mm, but looks bigger in ever possible way, due to thicker case and different, blocky design. Perhaps those large protruded Daytona-like pushers and crown "shrink" the watch too.

I try to post some comparison shots today.

Aquaracer day-date is listed as same 43mm, but looks bigger in ever possible way, due to thicker case and different, blocky design. Perhaps those large protruded Daytona-like pushers and crown "shrink" the watch too.

I try to post some comparison shots today.

I went to the AD today, but they didn't have the Discovery on hand (I went to a smaller AD...not the high end one). They did have a BTR though, but didn't bother trying that one on, thinking the Discovery is definitely a step above in elegance. I tried on the Aquaracer and felt that was pretty comfortable and a definite good size for me. Those comparison shots would be interesting.

@Toad, I'll take some, but meanwhile you can check out Capice's pictorial here. Lots of comparison shots there (scroll the post down).

PS: I found a few pics of the gen black version (for people who are interested).

th_66504_gen1_122_246lo.jpgth_66528_gen1a_122_413lo.jpgth_66541_gen1b_122_359lo.jpgth_66558_gen1c_122_27lo.jpg

th_66581_gen1d_122_25lo.jpg

The black is very nice, but can it compete against this? Mmm... I don't think so. :)

IMG_0216.jpg

maybe you missed my question or I missed your answer..how about ths braceletsize? Mine is certainly not for a big wrist.

Oh, but I answered that already. I wrote about the bracelet size in review itself, and again to carlsbadrolex in this post. :)

Thanks a lot ByTor for posting this up. I am very impressed with this watch and infact this will be my next rep watch purchase (I skipped the much/overly hyped Avenger Skyland).

Anyhow, it's interesting to see on gen "catalogue" picture black dial watch, it comes with standard ETA datewheel, however, in the white version (I have seen the gen), it uses Arial font (just like what the rep and gen is using).

Nevertheless, if I would've gotten this watch, I will do a 7750 transplant. That will certainly be worth it.

Anyhow, it's interesting to see on gen "catalogue" picture black dial watch, it comes with standard ETA datewheel, however, in the white version (I have seen the gen), it uses Arial font (just like what the rep and gen is using).

Good observation. Actually I didn't even notice the whole thing. However, I noticed how well the datewheel is aligned on my watch, compared to the previous day-date A7750's that I've owned.

Here is a gen reference photo, and the font really seems to be identical with the rep (on the white version).

The rep is insanely accurate. Protruded pushers (on the rep) and the bit too "high" crown are the only flaws. However, the endlinks are much better on my watch than Capice's. No noticeable gaps there. Perhaps this is a QC issue, or something they have fixed for the "second batch"?