When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Ebel 1911 Discovery Chronograph (Asian 7750)

By-Tor

It's possible that it may be a QC issue. Anyway, I notice that this actually has a different bracelet than the 1911 BTR version (the one with 3-6-9 chrono layout). Does it also use screws for link adjustment? How's it?

As for chrono pusher, indeed, it's too much protruding on the rep. The one that comes with 3-6-9 ebel rep is just nice... it's made of rubber though. The case may very well be different and I would love to see this watch in person.

PS: Such rep tends to be overlooked by many ;) It's a blessing for us who can appreciate this watch. Wear it in good health!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks BT, I need glasses, totally overlooked you mentioning the bracelet...sorry.

:bangin: Stop pissing on my watch...I absolutely love it ;) No, about the endlinks..when it is on the wrist, it has no gaps whatsoever. Maybe I positioned it a bit bad taking the pics...

No difference to me compared to your wristshot, maybe you can point out the difference?

_98O1769.jpg

@ Taka it has screws on the endlinks and screws on the links for adjustment.

I was very eager to get the BTR but I didn't like the rubber caps on the pushers so when the Discovery came out, I knew I had to have one....

7750 change would be interesting, I recently bought an Audiwatch with a new 7750 in it cheap..Gonna see if it fits

Not "pissing" on your watch, just trying to point out the (possible) flaws for the members. I doubt it's a difficult fix though.

Here's a photo of Lewis' watch. The area that I'm referring to is surrounded with red. The gap is noticeably bigger on it. No gap on the other side though.

99th9.jpg

@Taka: Yep, the bracelet has small screws.

Just kidding about the pissing m8 :) I took a close look at my endlinks....there is a little wiggling possible, I think it is possible to fix that if someone is annoyed by that.

But no noticable gap if positioned right....

I'm gonna try to sand down the pushers a bit

Not "pissing" on your watch, just trying to point out the (possible) flaws for the members. I doubt it's a difficult fix though.

Here's a photo of Lewis' watch. The area that I'm referring to is surrounded with red. The gap is noticeably bigger on it. No gap on the other side though.

99th9.jpg

@Taka: Yep, the bracelet has small screws.

Indeed,

The lower gap is there and the bracelet endlinks on that side "wiggle" a bit. There is no gap or a "wiggle" on the upper endlink fixation. Thats sits very tight.

It comes down to this: the bracelet endlinks are screwed TROUGH the case holes. On the upper EL's the threads (the tubes that have threads in them, and are part of the endlinks, pass trough the holes in the case) on the bracelet side are a "teeny weeny" bit shorter than the ones on the lower ones.

So the upper ones have a tight fit, while the lower ones don't. (it's a matter of machinig tolerances). One can easily fix this by "filing" down those threads so the screws will "press" the EL's to the case.. Nothing to bother though, as it's hardly visible while wearing it.

I had to do something else...

Regards,

Lewis.

Ok guys, here's finally a comparison shot which (imho) shows the actual "wearing size" of this watch.

Next to my 40mm gen GMT. As you can see the advertised 44.5 is totally out of this world and inaccurate measurement. The correct diameter is 43mm, and the actual "wearing size" is like 41mm. Definitely not a big watch.

comp1.jpg

Interesting; there are a number of factors that look to be counter-balancing the size issue. My observations:

1) The overall effect of size has more to do with the bezel and dial, and less to do with the actual case since the measurement of 43mm is likely to be at that outer most tip of the case, which otherwise stays contoured with the round shape of the case.

2) The dial, along with the color coordinated and raised chapter combined with the thin tachy bezel in contrast gives the dial an overall larger appearance and may lend to a slightly larger appearance.

3) Case looks to be relatively thin in comparison to an Oyster case; this may also lend to a slightly smaller look in appearance.

Overall, the watch does indeed appear to wear at a comfortable size, and looks very nice!

Out of curisoity, from a size standpoint, how does this compare to your SFSO?

Out of curisoity, from a size standpoint, how does this compare to your SFSO?

SFSO wears balanced too (imho), but it looks MUCH thicker and definitely requires big wrists. Discovery has slender lines, while SFSO is bulky and has bit of a "hockey puck" feel... just like the Avenger SeaWolf you used to own. The profile is completely different and SFSO feels much bigger watch of the two.

@caracarnj: Thanks man!

Discovery has slender lines, while SFSO is bulky and has bit of a "hockey puck" feel... just like the Avenger SeaWolf you used to own. The profile is completely different and SFSO feels much bigger watch of the two.

More or less as I had suspected, then :)

Those Breits wear huge on my wrist! But only due to the profile of the case...

I may have to put this Ebel into consideration and on the list...

IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL OWNERS OF THIS WATCH:

When I came home from work today, took off the watch and I noticed that something dropped. Nothing dramatic, just one of the bracelet screws. When I checked them out, all of them were loose. So... the same thing applies to this rep as many others: Take off the bracelet screws one by one... at least the ones that feel loose (you need a 1.0mm screwdriver), dip all of them into a Loctite bottle and screw back in. Shouldn't be a problem after that.

I was very lucky to not to lose that screw. You might not be as lucky, if one of them drops when you're bicycling (for example).

No big deal really, just typical stuff with reps.

same here, I think I mentioned it before and mailed it to a few members and PT.....I almost lost one , luckily it got stuck in the sleeve of my shirt so i noticed it. Put a little transparant nailpolish on all the screwheads after tightening all braceletscrews..

• 5 weeks later...
Love the review :)

I have been searching for 1911 Discovery black dial \red like this one

1215890.jpg

and i can't find it .. any one can help me here . as i'm a noob ;p

Unfortunately this insert color isn't available (as a rep). But you can always try to source the gen part. I don't know if Ebel sells them separately.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I just got one of these and it's a truly amazing rep! I think this review was actually instrumental in convincing me to get it.

Anyway, now I have a problem. The bracelet is one link too short. Does anyone here have a smaller wrist than mine and took a link out? I would be grateful if you had a spare one and were prepared to sell it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks! This is my 1st post here.... :p

Osmononame, if u look harder, u should be able to get a much better deal.

Hi, about to purchase my first rep and I'm getting this for $380 inc del - I don't want to start a 'who's the cheapest' thread but is this price reasonable for this watch or am I being ripped off.

thanks,

By-Tor, thanks for the great review and excellent pics! I've actually been looking for the gen piece of this model but it appears that there arent many dealers carrying this brand, especially for the 1911 Discovery model. I was also somewhat disappointed with the very poor pre-owned value for this watch. While searching for a better deal online, i stumbled upon this forum and came across this thread. As a result of my curiosity, i ended up with this rep ...

2009_01060006.jpg

2009_01060010-1.jpg

2009_01060009-1.jpg

2009_01060008-1.jpg

2009_01060005.jpg

2009_01060004.jpg

2009_01060002.jpg

2009_01060012-1.jpg

This is indeed a very nice chronograph model and its very comfortable on the wrist, no doubt contributed by the appropriate weight, relatively slim case and a very comfortable strap. I'm a little surprised by the accuracy of the A7750, which is running at an average of +6 secs/day (just within COSC spec!). This is indeed a very high quality rep, amazing!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Edited by rubik888

Hey man... that's a stunner!

First time I see real life pictures of the black version.

I'm really loving my white... just as much as the day I got it. This is very cool & well balanced watch.

Thanks for sharing!

It is indeed a well balanced watch. It is my very first rep & my very first chronograph piece, thanks to your review! :p

I've got a Qs, i noticed that there is some slack (more than i've ever encountered with other gen Swiss ETA movements like 2824, 2836, etc.) with the min hand. Is this caused by the A7750 or is it the same with the gen 7750?

Hey man... that's a stunner!

First time I see real life pictures of the black version.

I'm really loving my white... just as much as the day I got it. This is very cool & well balanced watch.

Thanks for sharing!

I joined the Discovery Club over the holidays...It a fantastic piece! Thanks again for the review, By-Tor.

@rubik, you picked a fine one for your first rep. But I'm afraid that you may have to adjust your expectations downwards...they're not all this good!

It is indeed a well balanced watch. It is my very first rep & my very first chronograph piece, thanks to your review! :p

I've got a Qs, i noticed that there is some slack (more than i've ever encountered with other gen Swiss ETA movements like 2824, 2836, etc.) with the min hand. Is this caused by the A7750 or is it the same with the gen 7750?

That's a product of the A7750. All of mine have it, including my Ebel.

Avitt, i guess i must be pretty lucky, it so happens that the model i'm looking for has a very good super rep available. I've seen other reps and they appear to have more flaws/differences when compared to their gen pieces. Perhaps another good super rep would be the Tag Link Chrono?

I joined the Discovery Club over the holidays...It a fantastic piece! Thanks again for the review, By-Tor.

@rubik, you picked a fine one for your first rep. But I'm afraid that you may have to adjust your expectations downwards...they're not all this good!

Edited by rubik888