When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Ebel 1911 Discovery Chronograph (Asian 7750)

By-Tor

I got the same watch with black dial and i've got to admit i'm surprised.

Watch is really high quality and fits perfectly a 6.8" wrist (any watch geek knows how important this aspect is)

It's not too thick and bracelet is truly comfortable (screws work flawlessy).

Ar is the best i've ever seen in replica world: definitely at the same level of first runs of Jakub K2222.

Just 2 weak points so far: my crown is a little wobbly, date wheel got to be replaced with ETA one.

Cheers

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very positive review of a really fine looking watch.

You mention datewheel accuracy, is it me, or are the reps better alligned than the gen pictured in the ad?

I really like the 1911 series, infact so much so, I even bought the quartz version from Reg a year or so ago. This has now replaced the Seamaster, and is on my wrist such is your Ebel inspiration.

Cheers

Johnkaz

I got the watch today and today date and day wheels are perfectly aligned.

Anyway fonts are clearly wrong compared to ETA's font, it's an easy tell for watch geeks.

The thing is.. in my other 7750 watches i replaced wheels and i can't stand this flaw anymore. :D

I got the watch today and today date and day wheels are perfectly aligned.

Anyway fonts are clearly wrong compared to ETA's font, it's an easy tell for watch geeks.

The thing is.. in my other 7750 watches i replaced wheels and i can't stand this flaw anymore. :D

And here I thought the white version was the first ever rep that has correct datewheel. This is what Takashi said:

Anyhow, it's interesting to see on gen "catalogue" picture black dial watch, it comes with standard ETA datewheel, however, in the white version (I have seen the gen), it uses Arial font (just like what the rep and gen is using).

Here's the gen. Not sure about the numbers but "MON" is 100% similar on my rep.

gen_1.jpg

Just take a look at digit '4' in the rep vs the gen and you'll notice the difference.

There are also other differences like the AR coating on the rep... its too bluish compared to the gen.

The chrono buttons and crown protrudes further out on the rep.

The alignment of the short 15 min marker (right next to the date) is very slightly tilted as compared to the gen.

Other differences are due to the use of the A7750.

Despite the differences, its certainly a very close rep of the gen piece IMO.

By-Tor numbers are different for sure, letters are similar but if you look the watch in the flesh and you're used to ETA wheels, you can easily see the difference (different font and different printing quality). :)

Just a warning for new buyers:

be carefully to bezel alignment.

I got a faulty one as you can see below:

wrong.jpg

It makes me mad and i didn't notice when i received the watch yesterday.

I'll try to get a replacement, i cannot live with that.

F****** sh**** quality check!!!!!!!!!!

@ryaku:

Damn that's annoying... but the usual blues with reps. :bangin:

I wonder how the bezel is attached to the case on the Discovery. I'm not sure if it's possible to detach at all... unless the actual tachymeter ring has been glued to the bezel. Looks like it's made of some sort of aluminum material.

Other than this problem, how do you like the black version so far? It's very sporty with those red chrono hands and has (imho) quite a different "spirit" than the white. That being said, I like the black a lot as well.

Thanks guys, i'm sure you exactly know what this kind of disappointment means. :(

What really pisses me off is the fact i sent a message to the dealer, at least twice, with a complete check list ( bezel alignment and crown functionality are included).

I told him..take your time but please check it carefully before shipping out....

Anyway i kindly disagree :D , i'm almost sure the black insert 's glued in the bezel but considered also the other flaw (slippery and wobble crown) i prefer to get a replacement.

I was told there's no correct bezel at stock, i'm not sure at all it's the truth, so i'm waiting for a refund.

By-Tor, you're completely right, it's a sporty watch, much sportier than IWCs for example and usually i cannot fall in love with this style.

But this watch is so well built that i'm gonna make an exception (assuming a can have a model with no big flaws). :D

I went to the local AD but there was only the black dial model so i couldn't compare this one with the white dial.

From pics i like both very much.

White is indeed more elegant and classy. :)

I believe most of these dealers simply drop ship and none of them actually scrutinise the watch before shipping.

The 1911 Discovery is one of the better looking chrono models out there. Its one of the slimmest watch with a 7750 movement. I'm not sure if you've seen it at the AD, there's a blue bezel version with blue hands on a white dial. Thats another beautiful piece which you dont find from reps.

Thanks guys, i'm sure you exactly know what this kind of disappointment means. :(

What really pisses me off is the fact i sent a message to the dealer, at least twice, with a complete check list ( bezel alignment and crown functionality are included).

I told him..take your time but please check it carefully before shipping out....

Anyway i kindly disagree :D , i'm almost sure the black insert 's glued in the bezel but considered also the other flaw (slippery and wobble crown) i prefer to get a replacement.

I was told there's no correct bezel at stock, i'm not sure at all it's the truth, so i'm waiting for a refund.

By-Tor, you're completely right, it's a sporty watch, much sportier than IWCs for example and usually i cannot fall in love with this style.

But this watch is so well built that i'm gonna make an exception (assuming a can have a model with no big flaws). :D

I went to the local AD but there was only the black dial model so i couldn't compare this one with the white dial.

From pics i like both very much.

White is indeed more elegant and classy. :)

rubik88, you're right the light-blue bezel one is very beautiful but a dial complete white might be a little boring and poor in contrast (just a guess i wish i could see in the flesh at some AD soon).

Unfortunately there's no rep version so far but i guess we'll see very soon other colors in rep world as well.

Most of them dropship for sure but i've been placing my last purchases from a dealer supposed to check watches before shipping.

Last time he did a great job but maybe it was just a matter of luck. :(

Do you have a factory shot of the white/blue version? I'd be interested to see it.

It's funny, I like the white dial exactly for that... the lack of screaming colors. I used to have my Broad Arrow that had electric blue hands. It was really beautiful at first but the novelty kinda "wore off" after a while. What I like about the white Discovery dial are the shiny, flashing hour markers and those shiny hands. They "sparkle" really nicely when the light hits them. Pictures can't really capture in all its beauty. The dial isn't actually pure white, it's kind of a "mocca white". Add the 2xAR and I think it's one of the most beautiful dials on a chronograph watch.

I know what you mean by "lack of contrast". Perfect example of this kind of dials are on the white SS Daytona and the white old model Ebel 1911 Chrono (I reviewed the quartz rep). I don't think white Discovery falls into this category.

The black version with those "racing" red needles is a flashy watch... the white one definitely isn't, it's not an "attention grabber" at all... but that's exactly why I like it. :)

Thanks for the link to the pics Ryaku.

The actual watch IMO looks a lot better than the pics portray. The blue bezel is lighter in shade and metallic as compared to the pics. The same goes for the hands as well. In addition, though the dial is white (IMO whiter than in the pics), the raised sub-dials makes the whole dial less flat looking. Here's another pic of it ...

1215891.jpg

Looks great. Thanks for the photos guys.

Looks like our old friend Bricktop got the gen Ti BTR. Pretty slick... and as you can see the '3 and '6 subdials don't "cross" on the Ti model at all.

Check this.

DSCF6620_resized.jpg

Picked up mine from PT (via good old Royal Mail) Friday. The man even put to extra links in the bracelet for me cos I have a 'uge wrist ;o)

What a lovley, lovely watch. Decided to take the plunge on this my 2nd rep after reading everything here. Stunning.

Checked the bracelet screws after unpacking and they were all fine but within 20mins of wearing 1 was protruding by a good 1.5mm. Loctited them yesterday per By-Tor's guidance and all OK now ;o)

thanks all,

Snik

I tried this one on a few months back, and it was probably the most comfortable braceleted watch I've worn, but I don't know if I really like it enough to spend on the Swiss version (which to me, would then require status as a daily beater) It's nice. Really nice. I just don't think it's right for me...

IMG_0047.jpg

Edited by TeeJay

• 2 weeks later...