When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Ebel 1911 Discovery Chronograph (Asian 7750)

By-Tor

Looking for this watch, can anybody tell me how to choose the right/best version? Eurotimez, PClones or PTime

The crystal seems to be different, the color of chrono needles too.

Any advice is welcome

Thanks.

I am not aware that there are different versions out there on this rep ... it could just be lighting differences on the photos that you are seeing.

If this helps, I bought mine from Eurotimez.

ebel_discovery.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sry guys for being such a noob, but I just can't take my eyes of this amazing watch so I'll have to buy it sooner or later.

Eurotimez is advertising 30m of waterresistance, is this a legitimate value? can I then without fear wear my "Ebel" for a quick swim or under the shower? what are your experiences?

It should be ok but I would definiatly have it tested first and at least yearly.

Gaaah! The gen on the bay went for $1499! There is another HERE current bid $510.

You would have to be VERY carefull buying one of these from the bay as the rep is so good. Full papers and box would be a must.

Col.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for geat review By Tor. I have seen this in both asia 7750 and swiss 7750. Is the price difference worth it (300 vs 425 USD)? any general comments to the difference in the two movements...(I

• 2 weeks later...

The sub dials are not blue, its the blue crystal thats creating the blue hue. This is the effect caused by the double AR coating for the reps.

Has anyone noticed in the main pic of the white 1911 Discovery, the rep has black subdials whilst the one BT is pictured wearing has blue subdials.

Are these the same reps?

• 3 weeks later...

Just received mine fresh from dealer and noticed that if the rep is shaken due to vigorous arm movement ie if I play a tennis stroke action then I can hear something inside the rep 'jangling like cymbals'

Is that the sound of the rotar moving due to 'vigorous' action as the sound disappears when vigorous action of arm stops.

Will servicing the Asian 7750 movement eliminate this sound OR do I have a loose movement, as the rep runs and funtions perfectly.

Does the gen Ebel 1911 Discovery Chrono suffer this problem?

Cheers

PD

Editting my above post:

When I shake my wrist from side to side whilst wearing the Ebel, I can hear the noise of the rotar growing louder.

It's like a SHWIRR SHWIRR Shwirr shwirr wirr wirr wirr sound as it slows down

Does anyone else get this on their Ebel 1911 Discovery Chrono?

Does this also happen on the gen Ebel 1911 Discovery chrono or is this problem only affect the Asian 7750 movement?

Well 7750 rotor is pretty noisy, it's noisy on the gen as well.

It's quite impossible to tell (without actually hearing the noise of your watch) whether it's normal or not. But the rotor definitely can be noisy and it's not a problem at all... just characteristic for this movement. If the watch is keeping good time and has a decent power reserve I doubt there's anything to worry about.

out of curiosity, how many of the "well know gen chrono" use swiss ETA 7750 movement?

Well 7750 rotor is pretty noisy, it's noisy on the gen as well.

It's quite impossible to tell (without actually hearing the noise of your watch) whether it's normal or not. But the rotor definitely can be noisy and it's not a problem at all... just characteristic for this movement. If the watch is keeping good time and has a decent power reserve I doubt there's anything to worry about.

Almost all "mid brands". Of course they use the real Swiss ETA 7750 instead of the Asian version in our reps. :D

99% of all Breitling chronos, TAG, Omega, Oris, Panerai, Ebel Discovery, Chopard, etc. etc.

is the real Swiss ETA 7750 as noisy as the Asian 7750 in the way I have described, particulary when you shake the movement side to side?

Almost all "mid brands". Of course they use the real Swiss ETA 7750 instead of the Asian version in our reps. :D

99% of all Breitling chronos, TAG, Omega, Oris, Panerai, Ebel Discovery, Chopard, etc. etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah... two tiny screws only. Make sure you have a screwdriver small enough... and be careful that you won't lose the screws, they're very small.

where did you get the rep rubber strap from and how much?

do you have a pic of it ?

cheers

PD

I bought it from king with ss bracelet but it came with the rubber. the bracelet is shipping on monday. B)

I apologize for the crappy phone pics. I'm in the process of moving and my camera is in one of the boxes

img0117t.th.jpg

img0119j.th.jpg

here are rubik888's pics of his from the ebel eyecandy thread

Here's my 1911 Discovery on strap ...

2009_01060006.jpg

2009_01060005.jpg

As much as i like this design, i'm flipping this one for another. If anyone is interested, please PM me. I'll thrown in a brand new strap with it.

Edited by meh784

Has anyone managed to reduce this gap on the endlinks on their Ebel 1911 Discovery? :1a:

Indeed,

The lower gap is there and the bracelet endlinks on that side "wiggle" a bit. There is no gap or a "wiggle" on the upper endlink fixation. Thats sits very tight.

It comes down to this: the bracelet endlinks are screwed TROUGH the case holes. On the upper EL's the threads (the tubes that have threads in them, and are part of the endlinks, pass trough the holes in the case) on the bracelet side are a "teeny weeny" bit shorter than the ones on the lower ones.

So the upper ones have a tight fit, while the lower ones don't. (it's a matter of machinig tolerances). One can easily fix this by "filing" down those threads so the screws will "press" the EL's to the case.. Nothing to bother though, as it's hardly visible while wearing it.

I had to do something else...

Regards,

Lewis.

Not "pissing" on your watch, just trying to point out the (possible) flaws for the members. I doubt it's a difficult fix though.

Here's a photo of Lewis' watch. The area that I'm referring to is surrounded with red. The gap is noticeably bigger on it. No gap on the other side though.

99th9.jpg

@Taka: Yep, the bracelet has small screws.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I've done a bunch of searching around and have found prices ranging from $260-$388. Most post $278. I only searched the reputable dealers on these forums. Can anyone tell me if there is a difference in these reps or simply some dealers giving better deals?

P.S.> They all seem to spec it the same.

Edited by cenobyt