When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

McCain picks Alaska Gov. as running mate

southcoast68

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCain is hoping to pick up the Hillary contingent with this move but I do not think he will succeed. I do not believe that the women who support Hillary will simply vote for McCain because he has picked a woman for his running mate. I think that Hillary's supporters are not that one dimensional but we will see. It sure make things more interesting. I am a Canadian so I don't have a dog in this fight and am just making an observation. I have nothing invested in this. Cheers

Our Governor is SMOKIN' hot but this is way out of her depth. Even though the locals call her The Sarahcuda. :ph34r:

Google her up ... Sarah Palin. Yowza!

I seem to remember reading that McCain has a history with the beautiful ladies (married a model I beleive), who knows if this had and bearing on the decision (I doubt if it did). Seems like he is aiming for the young vote trying to get any american on his side who would appreciate a good looking head strong female candidate. Seems ironic (not) that Obama, a freshman senator with limited global policy experiance picks a running mate who has been in DC politics for a long time, and McCain, a long time political figure, does just the opposite.

One thing for sure, the world will be finding out a lot more of Alaska's governor over the comming months. All I can say is......................pass the popcorn.

It is an interesting pick. It's unconventional, but I disagree with the mainstream media who call it a hail marry pass. McCain is in a great position right now as Obama has been tanking in the polls since July, and he doesn't need to do anything out of desperation. Even the DNC hardly provided Obama with a bounce in the polls, which is great news for McCain with the RNC still to come.

This pick does a number of things for McCain: (1) It brings on board a solid conservative to shore up the conservative base who have been dogging McCain all along. He needed a conservative on the ticket, and she is going to appease a great many. (2) It gives the Republicans a potentially history making ticket as well. (3) It brings youth and the notion of "change" from a Washington outsider to the ticket.

What I don't like about the pick: (1) Experience, or lack thereof. McCain's #1 talking point, IMO, is the experience issue. Choosing a junior governor hinders McCain's ability to go after Obama on experience to a certain degree. On the other hand, of course, it will be very hard for Biden to attack Palin on experience after having gone after Obama so harshly on the issue during the primaries. (2) It feels a little like a somewhat misguided attempt to court disgruntled Hillary voters. I just don't see a conservative female attracting too many Hillary types. (3) The Dan Quayle factor. I.e. Who the heck is Sarah Palin? She comes almost out of nowhere and could really falter in the VP debates against a menacing Joe Biden.

Personally, I'm still undecided. But I'm still leaning towards "none of the above." ;)

Our Governor is SMOKIN' hot but this is way out of her depth. Even though the locals call her The Sarahcuda. :ph34r:

So, what does the 'Sarahcuda' imply? Sorry if I'm being dense. But from what I understand, she has a 80%+ approval rating in Alaska? I know very little about her but I like some of her ideas, especially the Alaskan model of taxing oil companies for use of public lands, and returning the money to the taypayers.

She was the point guard and captain for the basketball team. She helped the team win the Alaska small-school championship in 1982, hitting a critical free throw in the last seconds, despite a stress fracture in her ankle.[6] She earned the nickname "Sarah Barracuda" because of her intense play,[6] and was the leader of team prayer before games.[6]

Just to point out...its way early to say that any candidate rising or falling in the polls in fact will mean anything by voting time. Like MOST elections one will be ahead, the other will close ...its back and forth like usual as the public leans one way or another. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this afternoon and its amazing that already McCains choice of an inexperienced self titled "soccer mom" as VP is being exclaimed as a "brilliant' move. What a JOKE! McCain is 72 and has had a history of cancer and the pick that is the very best for this countries future is who? Are you kidding me? She was chosen for one reason and one reason alone....to try to win the election. Just think if McCain wins the election and God forbid he passes away a few years from now ...who would we have as the leader of our country? I honestly was leaning to McCain but after todays really selfish move I cant see myself voting for him....heck I think I will sit home election night and not vote at all!

It is an interesting pick. It's unconventional, but I disagree with the mainstream media who call it a hail marry pass. McCain is in a great position right now as Obama has been tanking in the polls since July, and he doesn't need to do anything out of desperation. Even the DNC hardly provided Obama with a bounce in the polls, which is great news for McCain with the RNC still to come.

This pick does a number of things for McCain: (1) It brings on board a solid conservative to shore up the conservative base who have been dogging McCain all along. He needed a conservative on the ticket, and she is going to appease a great many. (2) It gives the Republicans a potentially history making ticket as well. (3) It brings youth and the notion of "change" from a Washington outsider to the ticket.

What I don't like about the pick: (1) Experience, or lack thereof. McCain's #1 talking point, IMO, is the experience issue. Choosing a junior governor hinders McCain's ability to go after Obama on experience to a certain degree. On the other hand, of course, it will be very hard for Biden to attack Palin on experience after having gone after Obama so harshly on the issue during the primaries. (2) It feels a little like a somewhat misguided attempt to court disgruntled Hillary voters. I just don't see a conservative female attracting too many Hillary types. (3) The Dan Quayle factor. I.e. Who the heck is Sarah Palin? She comes almost out of nowhere and could really falter in the VP debates against a menacing Joe Biden.

Personally, I'm still undecided. But I'm still leaning towards "none of the above." ;)

Now, I don't need to type. You said it all. Right on, Bulldog!

Interesting pick....I'm reserving judgement until after the convention and I see how she does. Remember, Obama doesn't have much track record to run on but he does have a remarkable ability to sell a vision....let's see how well she can sell her vision. I think we might be surprised....

One more thing...this "heartbeat away" stuff...if you think McCain is gonna die in the next 4 years...I'd advise you (republican or not) to not vote for him.....

Man...I am already getting sick of hearing about how McCain's had bouts with skin cancer, and how Palin would be "only a heartbeat away" :yuk: And they say the GOP uses scare tactics... :g:

The fact is, if Obama was pulled from nowhere out of the woodwork right now, and you only knew what was written about his record, then nobody would think that he was qualified to be president...But over the course of his campaign, he has convinced many people that he's worthy.

I'm willing to give Palin the same opportunity to show who she is over the next couple of months. My guess is that she will prove herself worthy of being second on the ticket (which is, after all, the position that she's running for). At the very least, it's going to make things more interesting (considering that the Dems should have a double digit lead at this point).

Edited by avitt

Just to point out...its way early to say that any candidate rising or falling in the polls in fact will mean anything by voting time. Like MOST elections one will be ahead, the other will close ...its back and forth like usual as the public leans one way or another. I was listening to Rush Limbaugh this afternoon and its amazing that already McCains choice of an inexperienced self titled "soccer mom" as VP is being exclaimed as a "brilliant' move. What a JOKE! McCain is 72 and has had a history of cancer and the pick that is the very best for this countries future is who? Are you kidding me? She was chosen for one reason and one reason alone....to try to win the election. Just think if McCain wins the election and God forbid he passes away a few years from now ...who would we have as the leader of our country? I honestly was leaning to McCain but after todays really selfish move I cant see myself voting for him....heck I think I will sit home election night and not vote at all!

Based on historical norms, current polling data is very significant if you're in the Dems' camp. At this point in the summer, Dems *should* have a sizeable lead, and by the Obama team's own admission, the huge slide over the last 4-6 weeks is very disconcerting. They're even now trying to spin the modest to insignificant bump he's seeing after the DNC, which in reality is a huge disappointment.

The more I think about it, the more I don't like the Palin pick from a strategy standpoint. But not because of skin cancer concerns, or any of that... I just really think if I'm McCain I wouldn't want anything to hinder driving home the point of Obama's inexperience. And I just don't see how he can continue to do that with Palin on the ticket.

While a hottie, she also has a core of steel like Margaret Thatcher. And the First Dude is one tough hombre too, having won the Iron Dog. This will be interesting and I think you'll like what she shows you about "who we are" here in the Last Frontier.

GO SARAHCUDA!!! :tu:

Okay I'm gonna change my opinion a little. Anyone who can go toe-to-toe with the huge oil companies and bend 'em over, then negotiate between the rural and urban demands for subsistance, and balance a family and a new special needs baby, AND the duties of public office... I'm sold.

-Nanuq in Sarahdise

My wife and I were just watching a news program on her and they showed her shooting an AR-15. My wife looked over at me and said "So now you are in love with her?"

My response...

"Yes I am!!!!!!!"

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

She is twice the maverick of McCain, which makes me want her even more.

Yea, I'm down for 4 years of that! ;) And, hey, maybe she DOES have what it takes to stand up to Ahmadinejad and his ilk... Give her a chance I say! We will see!!

Roger that, CM. Wait till you see her in camo with a moose. She's the genuine article.

And they named their last child Trig Van Palin. How fun is that?!

all one needs to know about sarah palin is that 1) she wants creationism taught in public schools 2) she adamantly opposes a woman's right to abortion even after rape 3) she thinks homosexuality is a sin. If this appeals to any HIllary voters to an extent that they vote for McCain, i don't want those voters in my camp regardless of the loss. Hillary said it best at the convention when she exclaimed (i'm paraphrasing) "were you supporting just me, or are you supporting my mission?". In other words, are you voting for me just because i'm a woman or because you are in agreement with my plans? Good riddance to those women who can't even understand the question.

That's "all" that matters? The only things?

Are you judging her because her personal beliefs differ from yours?

Isn't that sort of ........... intolerant?