When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A.Langhe & Sohne

xxl17

Hello all. My father is turning 60 and he has always wanted a Lange One. Was thinking of springing for a gen but its out of the price range. Problem is I can't find a good rep anywhere. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks for any help.

AD

I'm afraid there just isn't a good rep available for the Lange 1. I've been looking myself for a long time. The movement is just too complicated to do well. There are a couple of cheap ones out there with an asian movement of some kind, but they aren't very close to the gen.

If it's not the actual brand he wants as much as the style of the watch, you might want to consider the Glashutte Pano Reserve Date as an option. While it is possible if you are lucky to find a Lange 1 for $20,000 in gold, you can pick up the Glashutte for around $6,500 in stainless. Not sure if that's out of the budget or not, but you are looking at 1/3 the price for a similar looking and very high quality watch. There are several versions of the Glashutte besides this one, but it has the same features.

lange1.jpg

glashutte.jpg

Pics from Prestige Time

Edited by tomhorn

There just isn't a good rep available for the Lange 1. I've been looking myself for a long time.

If it's not the actual brand he wants as much as the style of the watch, you might want to consider the Glashutte Pano Reserve Date as an option. While it is possible if you are lucky to find a Lange 1 for $20,000 in gold, you can pick up the Glashutte for around $6,500 in stainless. Not sure if that's out of the budget or not, but you are looking at 1/3 the price for a similar looking and very high quality watch. There are several versions of the Glashutte besides this one, but it has the same features.

lange1.jpg

glashutte.jpg

Pics from Prestige Time

Thanks. It is such a gorgeous watch I am suprised they don't have a good rep out there.

AD

Oh there are a lot of very nice watches out there begging for a proper rep, although if someone were to consider repping the Lange 1, I doubt they could use the excuse "well, there isn't a market for them". lol

I'd certainly consider buying one.

Lange use their own unique movement to produce this watch.

Therefore it is not easily repped.

The demand is small so there is not much hope for us Lange fans.

But some of the earlier and simpler Langes are available as reps if you search.

Carl

Lange use their own unique movement to produce this watch.

Therefore it is not easily repped.

The demand is small so there is not much hope for us Lange fans.

But some of the earlier and simpler Langes are available as reps if you search.

Carl

The problem with the Lange 1 and many other watches with in-house movements is that they're typically built for one model of watch. The beauty of so many of the super-reps we enjoy is that they use ETA (or variations) for their movements. How many different rep watches use a 7750 movement? 200+? that's a huge market compared to the few that would use a movement that would work in the Lange 1. The bottom line with reps is that what they're doing is for profit and there's just not enough profit in building a movement that can be used in only one type of watch.

The problem with the Lange 1 and many other watches with in-house movements is that they're typically built for one model of watch. The beauty of so many of the super-reps we enjoy is that they use ETA (or variations) for their movements. How many different rep watches use a 7750 movement? 200+? that's a huge market compared to the few that would use a movement that would work in the Lange 1. The bottom line with reps is that what they're doing is for profit and there's just not enough profit in building a movement that can be used in only one type of watch.

However, from my perspective I would be happy if the dial, hands, etc. were great but inside was an ETA or the like. To me at least, as long as the caseback is solid I am more concerned with the visual look of the watch and as long as there is something decent on the inside I would be happy.

The problem is that any ETA/ETA Rep out there is unable to simulate the movement of a Nummer 1. I think I recall reading about some rep that used two small movements to simulate it ... but the powerreserve was still not functional. Actually I have yet to see any Lange rep that is more than a fantasy replica.

Oliver

The problem is that any ETA/ETA Rep out there is unable to simulate the movement of a Nummer 1. I think I recall reading about some rep that used two small movements to simulate it ... but the powerreserve was still not functional. Actually I have yet to see any Lange rep that is more than a fantasy replica.

Oliver

good point.

• 2 weeks later...