When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AR scratching off?

cmatic

Hi all, I purchased a Breitling Super Ocean Heritage from Andrew a few months ago and recently have been noticing what appears to be scratches. It is not visible from certain angles, but when in contact with direct light it is pretty noticeable. The actual crystal does not appear to be scratched however. Is this the AR that is scratching off? I've been rather careful when wearing the watch-- not bumping it into anything, etc. What can I do about this? Thanks for your input.

post-12995-1220402177_thumb.jpg

The problem is that rep AR is in most cases not really AR, but just a blue tint. It has nowhere near the durability or reflective reducing properties of real AR. Not to say that real AR can't be scratched, but it will take a lot more than a shirt sleeve rubbing against it to do it. I had rep coating on a Silix PO that was scratched pretty badly. I was surprised how little effort it took to remove it completely.

Yes, AR can get scratched, and even damaged by chemicals. And rep "AR" is even pathetic on this side.

On the other hand, good AR like chieftang's and k2222's are pretty hard. Chieftang's AR (and I suppose also k2222's) meets military specs, i.e. it can be hitten with 20 strokes of pumice-stone without showing any sign of damage.

This classifies it as more scratch resistant than mineral glass, even if lesser than sapphire.

Rolex is smarter than that :1:

An even smarter solution is putting the AR only on the inner surface of the crystal.

Panerai style. :1: :1: