When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex GMT Master II 116710 "Ceramic"

By-Tor

• 2 weeks later...

Thor - Thanks for the thorough and informative review . Based upon your review I ordered the watch, and it is absolutely beautiful. It's a fantastic rep. Not only is it extremely well made, but it is also one of the best looking watches (real or rep) in my collection. I'm a watch junkie and it definitely stands out in my collection. So far (4 days) it keeps perfect time, but the jury is still out on the longevity of the movement. Andrew hooked me up and he made the entire process a breeze. He promptly returns email and is very honest. He's also quick to act if the buyer perceives a problem. You cannot go wrong with this watch. I have a Sub rep I bought 17 years ago in the Virgin Islands and these reps have come a long, long way.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome review - many thanks for the write up. Close to pulling the trigger - looking at a few different watches for a while - decided I needed a new one for Xmas!!

One question for ByTor or anyone else who has one of these - what is the lume like on these? With the big maxi markers/hands, the lume is an important part of this watch IMO. Like all reps, I don't expect world class lume, but hope for something half decent.

And another question! Is the one currently offered by PT at

• 9 months later...

I recently got one of these and have been trying to work out the aesthetic. There's something quite nice about the ratio of the bezel width to the dial and then it struck me. It's this picture. The watch in this picture has the same feel as the GMT IIc.

rolex_mcqueen.jpg

I don't know if it's deliberate, but for a company like Rolex that's not afraid to mine its heritage for ideas, I'd not be surprised.

Glad you're enjoying it Pugs.

I agree, it's a nice looking watch but I feel differently about it. For me it's a clear departure from the traditions. That's why I ended up trading mine.

Those fat lugs, big crown and polished middle links weren't welcome changes. Lack of Pepsi bezel was the final nail on the coffin for me. The 24 click bezel, however, should be in the original GMT as well... it makes perfect sense.

It's ironic... the Rolex fans always complained how the clasp is so pathetic and the Oyster bracelet is so flimsy... but when they make the changes they aren't accepted by the purists. :D

But then again, this is the only nice watch Rolex has released in recent years. All other new releases, like YMII, Deep Sea Dweller and even the blue dial white gold Sub are simply dreadful (imho). But this should be called GMT III instead. It's clearly not the same watch as classic 1675, 16710 and their incarnations.

I've also just taken delivery of a Ceramic GMT2. Il get snapping this afternoon and post some pictures.

It is a really nice watch, especially when you get it outside in the sun, the bezel and the dial can be seen in all it's glory in bright sunlight!

Having owned the Submariner, the maxi dial looks a little OTT in comparison, but I'm sure it's something Il get used to.

In all, it's a great replica!

You just sold me on this watch. I was looking for the version with the red GMT hand though. does PT sell that one?

How much does PT charge for this watch? i'm assuming they're a reliable seller?

http://ptswiss.com/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=161

can you change the bezels (from black to pepsi for example)? if so, where can you find those? is the PT version actually swiss movement? and how do you know if you're ordering CHS or WHS?

thanks ahead of time, and thanks for putting together such a thorough review.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

By-Tor

Great review as usual. I just got one of these bought it from a fellow RWG nmember. mine is the kingwatch version with the Swiss ETA 2836 WHS movement. WOW! irealy like this watch. If they just had a ceramic Pepsi (PAN AM) Ceramic Bezel, this baby would be the cats meow. Who in the world at Rolex came up with the micro adjustment clasp wirth no holes? I tried every tool in my watch box, plus a couple of small Bergeron Screwdrivers. I could not get the springbars out to take in a little length. I wonder if there is some special tool that is made for Rolex Certified watchsmiths, to remove the center link springbar.

Another criticism, possibly unfounded is the size of the etched crown on the crystal. Actually, it is almost indistinguishable with the naked eye, I can see it clearly however, with a 4X loupe. How many watch maniacs are going to be traveling with a 4X loupe, so here again this may be a "head games" I'm playing on myself.!

All in all, I would say this is a pretty darn nice Rep.

Arthur

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This watch is stunning,

Got my off Tribal in Feb 09' and it's now > has been for a good few months < my daily beater - slight hiccup with the rotor screws coming loose, simple tighten, grease up and away we go.

Not lost a heartbeat and is getting better with age, can't beat a nice looking rollie with 'daily wear' armour on it.

Hope to have this for a good few years. - These watches are a whole new ballgame to what was being produced a few years back, get the rehaut engraving sorted yes > does it bother me at mo > no, will it, no.

for me all good, feels good ( get that bracelet smoothed up ) does it look good - Under a cuffed shirt > hell yeah.

This has gotta top be in the top 5 Rollie reps of 09 ?

Have fun, not got one yet ? What ya waiting for.

Out of the box you can't really get much better.

• 1 month later...

I recently purchased this GMT from Josh (with ETA option). http://www.perfect-hour.com/rlgt00088-anni-black-asia-3186-serials-p-8039.html

I have to say...it is absolutely fantastic. It is a stunning rep visually, but more importantly....the movement is DEAD accurate. I set the time via the US atomic clock and after 4 days....it is DEAD on accurate. It hasn't even lost ONE SECOND!!! The time is set to EST (NY) and the GMT to London +5. The GMT hand moves around automatically without any manual adjustment and it is the IHS.

I'm really amazed.

Edited by DrJerry

• 2 months later...

Finally had a chance to compare this rep to a Z series Gen. I have to say the most distinct flaw is the cyclops mag which is i would say almost totally way off. In a way, the rep has much larger mag which some may argue may be better. Other less visible flaws other than the misaligned rehaut engraving are the engravings on the crown, which are not as crisp as the gen and somehow, just somehow, the feel of the bracelet is different. My friend did a blind test and was able to feel which watch was gen (his) without putting it on his wrist! Is there some magic in the gen bracelet? Otherwise, the ceramic bezel as well as the clicking is almost close to gen, dial is well made as well. If only there was some way to change to a gen crown and more importantly, put in a crystal with the exact mag or even pop in a gen crystal. Sigh...

I've tried to get the Gen crystal with AR...it's pretty much impossible! Any "parts/service place" I speak with...can't get the crystal without taking the watch in for servicing...quote "Rolex wants to know what is being done to the watch before any parts are shipped to us." So unless somebody gets their Gen serviced or you have inside connections...we're out of luck for a Gen crystal. :thumbdown:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update and a throw onto this thread,

got mine off Tribal in Feb 09', worn it pretty much every day since, now getting a real good wear patina all over, never been called out > not that I show it off > it's just a watch.

Gonna Jinx it now lol but here we are mid July 2010 and it's not faltered.

thx to all involved > just got to get my EL PAM196 fixed ( new mvt enroute as I type ) and I'm a happy bunny

For those reading, if you've not got one of these..... why ?

8)

• 3 weeks later...

One question for BT or anyone else who may know. When you say that the IHS moves like the gen where the GMT hand moves in 1 hour incriments. Do you mean the gen GMT hand clicks from 1 to 2 to 3 and so on? Or does it sweep from 1 to 2 and so on like a traditional hour hand?