When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of Rolex Day-Date "President"

By-Tor

5eVQcwk.jpg

Another "review watch" for me. I wanted to see this, because I've never seen a decent Day-Date/DateJust replica. I asked Chris to get one for a review and he said "sure, just pick your model". Once again, the blue (or actually turquoise) dial was the most attractive for me. Another reason I wanted to write this article was that there has never been a decent review of a replica DJ/DD. Quite weird, considering how popular and well known this watch is. Time to change that, and have some serious DD/DJ conversation!

The Day Date is actually the "top model" of Rolex, and it's only available in precious metals. This article tells pretty much everything about the history of the DD, and why it earned the nickname "President".

The band is called "Presidential" bracelet, and it's completely different from the Jubilé that's commonly used on the DateJust. It's quite flimsy and lightweight in typical Rolex fashion.

KhqAvGq.jpg

This turquoise dial variation is only available in platinum (as a gen), but the replica is (of course) completely made of stainless steel. There are DD's made in yellow, pink and white gold as well. White gold doesn't actually look that much different from SS, but naturally it makes the watch significantly heavier. The gen WG versions weigh over 170 grams, which is a lot for a watch this small! I don't have the weight numbers for the platinum version, but I believe it might be in the same range.

There have been rumors of "white gold plated" replicas, but I believe they're just that... rumors. Our "bling expert" jfreeman wrote an excellent description of the white gold:

"Rolex has a proprietary process to manufacture white gold and rose gold that will never change color. Most all white gold jewelry and watches are plated with rhodium except Rolex. White gold is achieved by mixing gold with nickel. Without the rhodium it will always have a yellow tint. The process Rolex invented is heavily guarded but produces white gold that is brighter than any other and will never fade. I have white gold jewelry that is turning yellow due to the rhodium wearing off.

With that said there is no such thing as white gold plating. It is chemically impossible unless you have the proprietary formula from Rolex. Seeing that Rhodium is the most expensive metal in the world, currently trading at around $6,000 per ounce, it is highly unlikely that a replica manufacturer is plating anything with rhodium."

The watch diameter is only 36 millimeters, and the small size looks a bit old-fashioned next to these huge modern watches. Smaller size is probably the biggest reason why DD and DJ have never been big sellers among our membership.

YPGcNCk.jpg

However, DD and DJ are very good sellers for Rolex, and these models are extremely popular in Asia, where men are (generally) smaller, and have smaller wrists. I actually took a few wristshots of the DD but it admittedly looked a bit "out of place" on my '8 wrist, so I decided to post some on my wifé's wrist. She's a small woman and I think this watch looks great on her.

ItlMObq.jpg

Y8YzJ5A.jpg

How about the accuracy then?

Of course the weight is off, because I chose this particular replica (that only has a platinum gen counterpart). There are probably more accurate replicas in the DateJust line, but none of them look as good as this (imho). And one thing that's very characteristic for the whole DJ/DD line is the HUGE variation of different dials. There are hundreds of them. I'm not an expert in these models, but I've noticed how difficult it has always been to "spot" the reps in the DJ/DD line (even for our senior members). RobbieG just recently posted a Rolex dial reference, which shows the current dials on production. On top of this, there are tons of "unofficial" variations, which (again) makes identifying the reps even tougher.

Here is the gen counterpart (on the right). As you can see the Roman numerals are a bit thicker on the gen, and the crown seems to be a 6mm twinlock (same as Exp and GMT). It's a bit different on the rep. The day font and other dial details are actually very close. Isn't it funny how much off center the gen datewheel is!?

AuP9vHk.jpg

Here's a better photo of the rep daywheel (with MONDAY set on). The watch is really beautiful. The lugs and bracelet middle links have been polished to mirror finish.

NC8wEQI.jpg

So, after seeing this watch... am I a believer?

Yes and no. When the Day Date was first introduced to the Rolex lineup in 1956, the standard watch size was different. Admittedly this watch represents a "different era" in many ways, including the history it carries. Personally, I wouldn't wear a watch this small, but then I'm a big man with thick wrists. There are bigger classic dress models, such as Omega Aqua Terra, that I personally consider better alternatives for me. On the other hand, this blue Day-Date is among the most beautiful watches I have seen.

The watch has some flaws, but it's still very believable and substantial replication. This is definitely the most gorgeous version in the whole DD/DJ lineup and I wouldn't even consider any other variation. This particular turquoise dial is simply stunning, and Day Date is definitely a prestigious looking dress model for any smaller man (or woman).

mruUl87.jpg
  • Like 1

Yet another fantastic review. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are spoiled. This watch looks FANTASTIC on Mrs. By-Tor! Can she keep it? I'll gladly take care of payment with Chris.

Thanks my friend. You're way too kind... but

1. She wouldn't wear a Rolex (although she really liked the watch).

2. She's still very happy with her TAG Link.

And you know... automatic watches are too complicated for women. :D

Great review and great watch. The glacier blue dial has a;ways been one of my favorites. As for the size, I think you may be a fan when the new larger models are released. I know I will be wearing a day date regularly once we get some good 40mm replicas.

And you know... automatic watches are too complicated for women

So true. Every woman I have ever bought an automatic watch for has at one time or another complained that it stopped working or wasn't keeping time. This after sitting on their dresser for 2 or more days.... :p

Many thanks guys!

I corrected the information (and the title picture). This gen counterpart is only available in platinum. Shows how much I actually know about these dress models. :)

The Day - Date was the first replica I bought, except mine was the 18K gold plated version. Unfortunately the hands slipped and a lot of the "gold" is starting to fade on the inside of the bracelet but regardless I have been thinking of getting another model, except in stainless steel this time.

It is a beautiful watch for a gentleman like myself, with a comparatively small wrist.

Thanks for the spectacular review... I have to say I am tempted to order one of these from Narikaa now! ;-)

I got my mum one in pink.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/fxr...pe/DSC00134.jpg

And a friends wife with a new oyster

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g199/fxr...pe/DSC_1740.jpg

real nice watches,

After 18 months my mum can finaly set the time with just instructions over the phone

• Like 1

one thing about the size issue, especially with the dress rollies- the reps are too small.

they were alittle small to begin with, i read the noob is about .5mm less than the gen.

also for some reason the factories have NOT resized for the new cases on these models

as they did for the new GMT for example. so the DD & DJ are now quite abit smaller than the gens.

the numbers are not impressive but they do wear bigger. if you put on a real WG DD you will see right away how much heavier

and what a tremendous wrist presence it has. that's why IMO a larger man (like Tony Soprano) can wear the DD without it appearing

so small. that said- 37mm is about the smallest i think a man can wear nowadays.

one thing about the size issue, especially with the dress rollies- the reps are too small.

they were alittle small to begin with, i read the noob is about .5mm less than the gen.

also for some reason the factories have NOT resized for the new cases on these models

as they did for the new GMT for example. so the DD & DJ are now quite abit smaller than the gens.

the numbers are not impressive but they do wear bigger. if you put on a real WG DD you will see right away how much heavier

and what a tremendous wrist presence it has. that's why IMO a larger man (like Tony Soprano) can wear the DD without it appearing

so small. that said- 37mm is about the smallest i think a man can wear nowadays.

Interesting.

People kept saying that the Noob is smaller, but when I compared the GMT from the same factory with my gen 16710, the size was exact. Not just "almost there" but 100% there. All other "truths" about "significantly better" bracelet and "clearly different steel color" turned out to be mostly bs too.

The gen wears bigger yes, which is mainly due to thicker bezel (imho), not due to wrong dimensions.

Not saying you're wrong though... this might be true for the DD/DJ models. Anyone else can confirm this?

Just a slight correction on this Noel. The DJ cases like my M series have thicker lugs just as you point out and appear to be larger although still 36MM. The DD never made that change though and those still have the more sloped sides to the case making them appear smaller to this day. But you are right, the DJ does wear larger these days with the new case. Actually, I think both The DJ and DD wear plenty large enough for long sleeves - but never short sleves IMO. It just isn't a sports watch and shouldn't be worn with short sleves unless by a girl IMO.

If you notice, BT's review watch actually has the new style DJ case with the larger lugs which is actually incorrect. They probably should have stuck with the smaller case to be totally accurate. The other poster with the pink dialed DD has the older style case with the more sloping case and thinner lugs. The newer DJ case like my gen is more square shouldered like BT's review rep. Very subtle, but you do notice it on the wrist.

Also of note, in person the Glacier Blue dial is much more subtle than in any picture including pics of gens. It is amzing and deep and mysterious and subtle in person. Just insanely nice IMO. I want one so bad lately and I'm having a really hard time resisting. Just the ultimate braceleted dress watch for me. Grail for sure. I wish the rep wasn't so turquoise colored as it is pretty innacurate, but the rep is more than fine otherwise as BT shows. I would recommend playing it safe if getting a DJ or DD rep and getting a white or rhodium dial like mine to be on the safe side.

Anyway, here is my DJ on my 7 1/2" wrist. Surprising how large it looks for its size.

Datejust2.jpg

And here is a frontal shot of my DJ along with a recent DD frontal so you can see how the cases differ slightly. Again, very subtle, but the difference really shows up on the wrist...

DJ9.jpg

glacier.jpg

Salivating over the Rolex platinum president was what got me into reps in the first place. This watch was my first pursuit in reps. Since I couldn't justify the $40,000 to purchase the real thing, I went after the rep. I just wanted "that look"!

This watch is probably the finest "business dress" watch I have. Mine keeps excellent time. I enjoy it very much and wear it regularly. The only thing I am ever concerned about is the dial color. The gen dial color is called "Ice Blue" in the catalog but called "Glacier Blue" on the Rolex website. The gen dial color is much more subtle than the rep, almost etherial. But I like mine and plan to wear it for many years to come.

Thanks, By-Tor, for another fine review.

The gen dial color is called "Ice Blue" in the catalog but called "Glacier Blue" on the Rolex website. The gen dial color is much more subtle than the rep, almost etherial. But I like mine and plan to wear it for many years to come.

The dial blinded me from the rest of the watch. They serious need to rework that color.

Didn't take a thing away from an excellent review though. Thumbs up!