When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mr Bond it's time to buy a GEN!

JBond

Hi everybody!

Finally it's probably my time to buy a GEN! I have for project to buy a gen (in 1month...) but I'm really not sure about the model I really want...

I have a SMP replica Bond model. That watch was one of my dream. I love the PO 45MM with rubber strap but I don't know what is better between the PO and the new SMP.

I know, choose a watch is a very personal thing but I would like your opinions!

so:

jbcoax2iib8.jpg

or this

planetoceansandtv2.jpg

Thanks guys!!

J.Bd

Edited by JBond

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've owned both gens and currently have the 45mm PO on bracelet. The PO is a superior watch based on the specs, but the SMP isn't all that far behind. I think it's really a personal choice based on the design and asthetics of the two. The blue dialed SMP is/was one of the most comfortable, go anywhere, do anything, tool watches I've ever had. I'm sure the PO can do the same, but I haven't had the same amount of experience with her. If money isn't a concern I'd say go for the PO. If you want to stick with the classic Seamaster design for with the SMP. Good luck and you really can't loose with either.

For me the 42mm PO would be much better choice than 45... deciding between that one and SMP would be a very tough call.

But then I would probably choose the SMP anyway... and get the PO later. :D

I have a gen black SMP plus a rep Bond and rep PO. I would definitely go for the SMP gen rather than the PO for a number of reasons. The SMP is classier and feels better quality, probably because of the smooth bezel profile and slimmer design. I am also more confident that the 'classic' Bond SMP will stand the test of time better than the trendier PO. The size of the SMP is less likely to go out of fashion too. Enjoy your gen whatever you choose.

Well I can definitely say from personal experience that the SMP is more comfortable to wear daily. It might be the size of the PO or maybe the bracelet, but IMHO the SMP bracelet is "the" most comfortable and stylish one out there.

So... have I made it any easier??? ;p

Wow thanks for all your comments guys. I will buy the new SMP because after reflexion and your opinions that watch is always one of my dream... Like By-Tor said, "the PO will be the 2nd" :). I think the SMP is better for my life style, I'm jurist and worn a classic watch it's more easy with suits. But I'm a Bond fan and get the PO (because I have a SMP rep) was good for my collection!

The old blue Bond SMP is a true Bond classic now. The new black bond PO is yet to become a classic. It may take on that classic kind of status in the coming years...or it may not if Bond dosen't sport it for a few more films.

I'd say buy the gen you have idolised the longest.

I always wanted a gen 16610 and I've never regretted buying one.

I'm wearing the ultimate planet ocean rep with black bezel and rubber strap at the moment and I'm really loving it. It feels less bulky and much lighter on the rubber compared to the bracelet, and is very comfortable. Out of all of my collection its one of only 2-3 watches that I'd consider buying a gen of. I also have a couple of regular SMP's (elec blue model and 007 closed factory model) and love both, but not as much as the planet ocean.

I'm a fairly slim build but I don't find it too large, in fact it feels smaller than a 44mm Panerai.

There's also the new Co Ax black 'Bond' SMP in 2 formats.

1 - Black PO type dial (no waves), black bezel 'Bond SMP' number size and font, 007 on the seconds hand, skeleton hands, and metal rings round hour markers. Personally I don't like it....

2 - Classic SMP type dial (waves) but black, black bezel, skeleton hands, no 007 on seconds, and metal rings round the hour markers. So basically the original style SMP, but in black. I like - for me a direct competitor to the Submarinar/Sea Dweller.

Check them out and also in an AD before deciding blue or black SMP.

I have a gen Black SMP but not the Bond type - sword hands, larger number font on the bezel - and also a gen 45.5mm PO with bracelet and rubber strap.

More recently I wear the PO on rubber most, but I'll probably change back to steel in winter.

The SMP gets much less wear now, but it does come out the box 1-2 times per month.

To be honest, I still don't believe that Bond would have an Omega in the first place. It is only throug commercial product placing that he was given one, and only in the post Fleming scripts which are mainly Bond in name and direction. So for a true bond watch, buy the Rolex Sub or Seiko digital etc.

But if it has to be the 'modern corporate funded non Fleming Bond watch', then I would go for the PO, it is a classic, understated and robust watch which like the Submariner is practical, old school and smartm matching in with Bond's character from the original books. I have always thought the original Omega Seamaster used in Goldeneye etc was too bling for Bond.

If I had to sell one of these,,,,it would be the PO. Not that it isn't one of my favorites but if it came down to the bond smp or the PO, I would keep the SMP. It is a bit thinner and fits the wrist just a little bit better and seems like I can wear it anywhere with anything. The PO just doesn't get as much wrist time.

012et7.jpg

008pl8.jpg

I have had my gen Omega PO 45mm for two weeks. Im not normally a fan of Omega watches, but its the sportiest and classiest watch I have ever owned. I prefer the rubber strap over the stainless steel.

Omega PO 45mm all the way, if its good enough for James Bond its good enough for me!

Thanks Wheaten for sharing those Daniel Craig pics, after seeing those shots Im in love with the PO even more!

To be honest, I still don't believe that Bond would have an Omega in the first place. It is only throug commercial product placing that he was given one, and only in the post Fleming scripts which are mainly Bond in name and direction. So for a true bond watch, buy the Rolex Sub or Seiko digital etc.

But if it has to be the 'modern corporate funded non Fleming Bond watch', then I would go for the PO, it is a classic, understated and robust watch which like the Submariner is practical, old school and smartm matching in with Bond's character from the original books. I have always thought the original Omega Seamaster used in Goldeneye etc was too bling for Bond.

Your opinion is so true. Omega and Bond it's very commercial and the Fleming's Bond wear Rolex.

Seiko digital is actually very hard to found. Why I don't buy a Rolex? I have no money for a brand new Gen Rolex and in France, people who buy Rolex buy Ferrari and I'm not this type of guy. In my opinion, Omega it's more classy because it's more distinguished.

I was not sure for the PO because wearing this watch is more hard than the SMP because the SMP is more classic. Anyway, I can be wrong.

The SMP is like a Porshe Carrera, the PO is like Porshe Cayenne,if you know what a mean.

Yeah, I understand your vision :p

Thanks all guys for your comments :)

This has brought up a great point with me. If I had to pick my favorite company of watches it's got to be Omega. I have a personal rule that I always have an Omega in my collection no matter what. I've pretty much owned various Swiss lux models before and none of them have the "package" like the Omega does. It's cheap enough to beat up a bit and not have a heart attack and it's sporty enough for any sport and yet classy enough for Bond to wear to a black n white dinner. A great combo IMHO.