When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Omega SMP chronograph?

Mickey Padge

I have received the case only on this piece. It has different serial number that the old one, pushers are slightly "bevelled" at the side, making it look more refined. Tube is larger than the the old SMP Chrono. Both rep crowns from the old one and gen crown won't fit still. Case to be of the same dimension as the old version. Crystals are interchangeable and bezel construction is the same.

I would say it may very well be coming from the same factory, only with updated dial. I didn't get the bracelet though...

No AR on this piece too ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering, is there a rubber strap option for this watch? (genuine)

I don't remember seeing any pictures of one on the boards, but it would solve the bracelet issue.....

Yes the gen can also come with the rubber strap. With Omega you can pretty much ask for whatever bracelet you wish. Some buy this with the bracelet that you usually see on the 2254.50 (black SMP), but I would imagine the majority buy it on the 'Bond' bracelet due to its legendary deisgn.

If there's one watch I regret getting rid of, it is this one. But i'm glad you are giving it some much deserved wrist time MP :) Might have to get one of these new 1's and swap the ETA dw in there. Wonder if they fixed the wobbly crown problem?

Edited by UB7

It is a classic beauty (the original) that is for sure :)

It seems the logo is a pretty big error, I am a bit disappointed that they messed that up so bad.....

Looks like the old version is still the one to get, I really hope they have not ceased production, for all you guys yet to buy one! ^_^

I have looked for a rubber strap, just as a different option to the SS bracelet, but I can only find Planet Ocean versions, nothing for a classic Seamaster. Do the Planet Ocean rubber straps have "Planet Ocean" on them? Or just Seamaster?

Cheers! B)

The logo is an egregious error and is enough to prevent me from buying any models with the lines through the bottom. The clown feet on the "ohm" symbol don't really bother me, but the OMEGA looks like crap. Too bad Ofrei doesnt have the new gen dials for sale.

I recently got incredibly lucky on ebay and picked up a bunch of parts including the NEW gen dial (w/ gold OMEGA), gen hour hand, 2 gen register hands, gen crown, He valve (seller called it another crown) and gen pushers. Must have been a salvage job since the minute and chrono second hands were not available. Anyway, picked up the whole thing for $100! Now that I am done with my franken UPO I will be doing a franken SMP Chrono. I also have a gen bezel, any tips on how to remove the existing bezel on the chrono version?

Edited by veja74

The bracelet is the weakest part of the watch by a very long way (at least the previous version was) It is in no way a good replication of the gen bracelet (which I have on my franken).....

The rep bracelet is the wrong thickness, has a really bad general quality finish, and screws, not pins! It feels really cheap, unlike the gen....

I just got a replacement bracelet for mine from Andrew. It's loads better than its original one: this new one has pins instead of those horrible screws, and seems to be all around of better quality and build. I especially like the clasp 'click' when I close it, which is almost as smooth (but will never be as good) as the clasp action on my gen SMP300. It even wins out on more wrist time, too.

*The difference is definitely not worth filing a 'clasp action suit over' (sorry - I couldn't resist)..

I just got a replacement bracelet for mine from Andrew. It's loads better than its original one: this new one has pins instead of those horrible screws, and seems to be all around of better quality and build. I especially like the clasp 'click' when I close it, which is almost as smooth (but will never be as good) as the clasp action on my gen SMP300. It even wins out on more wrist time, too.

*The difference is definitely not worth filing a 'clasp action suit over' (sorry - I couldn't resist)..

Sounds good! ^_^

I am sure some pictures would be most welcome, pins instead of screws! B) I can see a few peeps upgrading there old bracelets now.....

As promised, here are some shots of the replacement bracelet from Andrew that I'm so pleased wih. You probably can't see the pins (just trust me). The extender has the proper hook which locks under the pin nicely, too (something the original didn't have).

PIC01229.jpg

PIC01233.jpg

PIC01230.jpg

PIC01231.jpg

As promised, here are some shots of the replacement bracelet from Andrew that I'm so pleased wih. You probably can't see the pins (just trust me). The extender has the proper hook which locks under the pin nicely, too (something the original didn't have).

PIC01231.jpg

Thanks for that. Good to hear you can get one with pins. Do you know if they finished the inside better? The old rep bracelet didn't have the cleanest finishing on the inside surface of the bracelet.