When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Toad's Review: Free Graphite Dialed V3 (?) Skyland...get yours now

Toadtorrent

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@BT - This one obviously deserves to be pinned, but in the future may I suggest that you give it a week or so before pinning a thread? A lot of guys only look at the top threads in a category every day, and don't even glance at the pinned articles. I fear that a lot of people will overlook this great piece simply because they don't pay attention to the pinned threads. For the long term its great, but when a review is new, its not so good.

You have a point.

Unpinned.

Will pin it again later.

I noticed one thing..and I may be totally wrong here but in CONCLUSIONS, where it says:

"What flaws bug you the most?

If it's the half dot @ 3...then you need either a V2 or V1. If it's the too big lume dot @ 3...then you need a V3...if it's the poor QC on the centring of the other lume dots...you need a gen."

Specifically, where it reads:

"If it's the half dot @ 3...then you need either a V2 or V1."

Shouldn't it say "...then you need either a V2 or V3"?

It is my understanding that the V1 has the half dot, the V2 has a (smaller than V3) full dot, and the V3 has a full dot.

Hope this helps and I apologize if I am incorrect here.

I noticed one thing..and I may be totally wrong here but in CONCLUSIONS, where it says:

"What flaws bug you the most?

If it's the half dot @ 3...then you need either a V2 or V1. If it's the too big lume dot @ 3...then you need a V3...if it's the poor QC on the centring of the other lume dots...you need a gen."

Specifically, where it reads:

"If it's the half dot @ 3...then you need either a V2 or V1."

Shouldn't it say "...then you need either a V2 or V3"?

Yup...you're absolutely right...I'll change it in a bit. Good catch. I have to change the bracelet availability too...things that happen when you don't have an editor.

Thanks for all the encouragement folks...it's fun to write them up and take pictures. I just need to get some By-Tor watch photo saavy!! I'm too lazy to make a light tent.

Well Toad, finally got a free hour of "me time" to sit and give this epic the attention it deserves. Awesome post my friend! When La Swiss reopens we should plan on a lunchtime meet-up so I can see that beautiful Skyland in person. I have always leaned toward getting the V1/3 myself but I really would like the SS bracelet to go with it. Hopefully that option will be available soon!

Keep up the fantastic, and quite entertaining posts mate!

Well Toad, finally got a free hour of "me time" to sit and give this epic the attention it deserves. Awesome post my friend! When La Swiss reopens we should plan on a lunchtime meet-up so I can see that beautiful Skyland in person. I have always leaned toward getting the V1/3 myself but I really would like the SS bracelet to go with it. Hopefully that option will be available soon!

I keeping popping by there on the way to the office and keep staring at the Bentley sign saying they open in October. Uuuh...hello...it's October...

When they were open, they did have the SOSF and the Blackbird...those were nice.

Love your work Toad.

Funny thing about the Skyland is I had had to have one, bought two, and now I rarely wear them.

Just too top heavy, but just love looking at that dial.

I thought the SMP Chrono on bracelet was heavy...and it is...but sticking the Skyland on leather makes the thing very comfortable...not so top heavy, and I would actually wear it as a daily piece. In fact on leather or rubber, the watch isn't that bad at all in terms of mass.

I updated the post to fix some errors in the conclusion pointed out above, added an Ocean Racer deployment pic of UB7's, and updated V3 bracelet availability.

Awesome post, fantastic work.

FYI

I'm not sure what the B5 means, but it's found on a lot of Breitling watches.

It's the Breitling dial colour reference

A=white

B=black

C=blue

D=?

E=grey

F=grey

G=white/silver/ivory

H=gold

I=yellow

J=?

K=red/pink/burgundy

L=green

M=grey

N=?

Q=brown

I don't know what the 5 refers to. Black dials can be referenced B5, B6 or B7. No idea what this means.

Awesome post, fantastic work.

FYI

It's the Breitling dial colour reference

A=white

B=black

C=blue

D=?

E=grey

F=grey

G=white/silver/ivory

H=gold

I=yellow

J=?

K=red/pink/burgundy

L=green

M=grey

N=?

Q=brown

I don't know what the 5 refers to. Black dials can be referenced B5, B6 or B7. No idea what this means.

There you go...thanks!! I'm guessing that's another flaw on many of the non-black reps then, as I've seen the B used on all dial colours. I learn something new everyday. Cheers!

Speechless, truly one of the best articles I read on the boards.

As I cannot spend much time around these months, I am very glad that I found this post after loggin in for the first time after a long while.

Thanks a lot for your effort. And yes, I am very satisfied with my version 2. ;-)

Thanks so much...especially coming from the "Test Master". To be honest...all the versions are good I think. The differences are pretty small in actual life.

I'm very happy about the quality of the reps these days...amazing...but it cracks me up thtat this thing is just shy over ethe cost of an Asian SOSF.

• 2 weeks later...

Going off your weight measuremsnts the Rep is 24 grams heavier than the Gen...

Rep body on bracelet: 238g

Rep Bracelet : 70g

Therfore Rep body=168g

Gen body (from Breitling.com) is only 144g

I also noiced this this in my local AD, the Gen felt much lighter than my SS Chrono Avanger which has similar body to Skyland.

It must be down to the milling done on the Rep vs the Gen.

Going off your weight measuremsnts the Rep is 24 grams heavier than the Gen...

Rep body on bracelet: 238g

Rep Bracelet : 70g

Therfore Rep body=168g

Gen body (from Breitling.com) is only 144g

I also noiced this this in my local AD, the Gen felt much lighter than my SS Chrono Avanger which has similar body to Skyland.

It must be down to the milling done on the Rep vs the Gen.

Depends on the sizing of the bracelet really...the 238g was sized on another posts measurements. I don't have a bracelet for my Skyland...so I couldn't do a bracelet weigh-in with all links. I'll remove my straps and do a weigh in of the head later when I get home.

Cheers for that Toad.

I guess we also need to establish if the official Breitling measurement of 144g is for thr head only.... I'm thinking it must be.

BTW, it's super review, best ever IMO.

Depends on the sizing of the bracelet really...the 238g was sized on another posts measurements. I don't have a bracelet for my Skyland...so I couldn't do a bracelet weigh-in with all links. I'll remove my straps and do a weigh in of the head later when I get home.