When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review of ROLEX Submariner WM9 v1, the "Super Sub"

By-Tor

Yes, my point exactly. The new "M" series subs seem to have thicker markers on the insert compared to the previous versions. In that case, the version from PT (WM9) is correct as it, indeed, has the thicker markers.

Hmmm not too sure about the markers, but here's a pic of a gen sub that has thicker markers on the insert

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...-Submariner.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like PT sent out a number of watches upon his return on Sep 30th. I got mine yesterday also :)

As far as modding, I already got the WM pearl and JewelryOutlet insert ahead of time. I was going to change it yesterday but I held off once I noticed the JewelryOutlet insert has those thinner markers as I stated in this thread. The insert from PT has the thicker markers.

Photos from the Bay doesn't help. Some "M" series has thin markers. Some has thick ones......It's quite confusing... :huh:

BTW - did I mention that......

MY ULTIMATE SUB FROM PT JUST GOT DELIVERED

Sized up the bracelet and slapped it on. Already thinking of mods - maybe gen crown & tube, CGs, WM Pearl. Im not too worried about the dial not being 100% the same as the noob dial, but good enough. Unless the etching gets to me, I'll grab a Clarks crystal.

:clap: Happy Happy Joy Joy :clap:

Markers, pearl and all that... it's easy to fix with a genuine insert. But I encourage you to compare it to MANY Sub models from different decades. What I've learned about Rolex that there's only one thing that's consistent: inconsistency. LOTS of variation between things like bezel font, thickness and even dials.

One day I was looking at the "Rolex forum", and those guys who "call out" fakes there. What a bunch of amateurs... they have absolutely no clue about anything. They "called out" two perfectly legitimate 16800 models on Ebay during one day, thinking that bezel font and thickness is the definite way to determine between a fake and gen.

The biggest issue with Rolex replicas is always the "fundamental overall look" of the watch. That means the crystal/case combination that you simply can't fix. That's all I really care about, rest is "fixable" if it bothers you. There's lots and lots of variation in stuff like dials and bezel font, even among the 16610. But the case and crystal/rehaut combo is always the same. It's immediately identifiable for someone who has really studied the gens... and that's where the WM9 shines.

Thanks By-Tor. You are RIGHT.

Markers, pearl and all that... it's easy to fix with a genuine insert. But I encourage you to compare it to MANY Sub models from different decades. What I've learned about Rolex that there's only one thing that's consistent: inconsistency. LOTS of variation between things like bezel font, thickness and even dials.

One day I was looking at the "Rolex forum", and those guys who "call out" fakes there. What a bunch of amateurs... they have absolutely no clue about anything. They "called out" two perfectly legitimate 16800 models on Ebay during one day, thinking that bezel font and thickness is the definite way to determine between a fake and gen.

The biggest issue with Rolex replicas is always the "fundamental overall look" of the watch. That means the crystal/case combination that you simply can't fix. That's all I really care about, rest is "fixable" if it bothers you. There's lots and lots of variation in stuff like dials and bezel font, even among the 16610. But the case and crystal/rehaut combo is always the same. It's immediately identifiable for someone who has really studied the gens... and that's where the WM9 shines.

Thanks, By Tor, for keeping us up with the developments of the Rolex Sub.

There is no doubt that it is the most repped model of all and is also the most initially desired.

I think that any of us in the rep world are eventually drawn to it just out of classic curiosity if nothing else.

Your review keeps us up to date

Some of my first reps were Rolex but it took me some time to get to the Sub.

I've had my beginmariner for a couple of years now and still wear it on a regular basis.

post-180-1223687495_thumb.jpg

I would not have bought it without the info from RWG and By-Tor.

I have it running well at about three to five seconds a day now and it is therefore a good watch to wear. It still looks good.

But when you find better ones, let us know as you have been doing.

Thanks Again,

Carl

Great stuff Bytor as usual... I waited a long time for Chris to get the non-engraved version of his Euromariner and he sent me an LV version before going public with them. Then i hear PT's sub is better. Not good i thought but now you have put my mind at ease as its an easy fix. I have the proper crystal and gasket on the way so my ultimate LV will soon be done.

Cheers for that

P.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Before i found this great website i almost made a mistake and bought from global replica.

I'm so glad i didnt and i dont want to be called out in public.

I love the look of the sub (my absolute dream watch for 15 years) and want as gen as i can get with out spending $5000.00 (who doesnt right??? lol).

Thanks to By-tor and the rest of the reviews/feedback i can now buy a quality rep from PT or Chris and know im not getting screwed and i will get what i pay for.

So i'll be ordering up my Rep today........just torn because the review on the Black Explorer II makes it hard because it's also a very very good otb rep.

George is updating the WM9 Sub with super luminova and hollow link bracelet. But according to my sources the new model isn't going to have the "flat S" which I love.

http://www.watchmaker9.tv/latest_news.htm

I must be nuts, but I prefer the (inaccurate) solid middle links bracelet over the hollow too. :)

Thanks for the great review ByTor.

I have been wondering which to buy, the Euromariner or the Wm9 from PT but as I don't want to be doing much modding, so after reading your review I went for the Wm9 from PT and ordered it today.

One thing I would like to do is add a gen bezel insert (and maybe a gen crown) so could anyone point me in the right direction where I could purchase one in the UK or EU?

Cheers guys keep up the great work

Edited by Gadget Man

Yes, wm9 is releasing the 2nd generation wm9 sub. It's going to come in both m serial and z serial. The m serial has ROLEXROLEX engraving on the rehaut while the z serial doesn't. Otherwise they are exactly the same. The upgrades are quite significant. They include:

- upgraded dial with round "S", that's supposed to be much better than before with sharp text

- dials and hand are superlumed

- gen shaped CGs, no trimming needed. We'll see.

- upgraded dw overlay supposedly 1:1 copy

- upgraded bracelet with hollow mid-links. George said the bracelet-smith can only make 6 a day. Don't know if that's a sign of quality

- upgraded insert with superlumed pearl dot and a clear coat over it

Price is set for ~$540 for m serial, ~$530 for z serial which I think is very reasonable, finally, given these upgrades.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

Thanks bk.

Wonder why they're changing the dial... I find the current dial excellent. The M and m don't align perfectly on the "Flat S" dial version, the '5 second markers are thicker like they should be... and I prefer this over the standard "S" version anyway. Yeah, call me a geek. :D

Gen left, rep right.

20891sb5.jpg

Nothing wrong with the datewheel, either.

Mine arrived today, :D ....but the bezel won't turn!! :o

Well it will, but only if I hold it very tightly with a cloth and try real hard, then it will turnfor 1/2 a turn before going really really stiff again. I sent an email at midday and a PM to PT but I am still awaiting his reply.

It is sat in all its plastic wrapping as I am hoping he will offer to exchange it, but it is torture as I wanted it on my wrist :mellow:

The one thing I will say, the dial writing is much better in real life than the photo's show with a 'glossy shine' when cought in the light.

Here are couple of pic of it

post-16982-1224018835_thumb.jpg

post-16982-1224018910_thumb.jpg

post-16982-1224018931_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gadget Man

Congrats. Looks good... but you have to shave those cg's man. :D

About the bezel: Tape the lugs so they won't get scratched, then try pushing a knife between the case and bezel and lift gently... then try rotating it again. If this won't help, just completely remove the bezel and re-install it again. I'm sure it's easily fixable.

Good luck, and keep us posted.