When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner 7016/0

freddy333

Ok, I have the watch in hand & this much I know with reasonable certainty - the (non-hacking 19.8k bph) movement, crystal (which, except for a slight yellowing (age/sun exposure), looks like the gen T39 I installed yesterday on a customer's watch), stem & case are gen (caseback is most likely gen, but it could be a repro (an excellent repro) that was made many years ago), the hands appear newly made & the dial (which has a different 'rose' & slightly different lume than Chris's) is probably an aftermarket vintage piece. However, if someone (with more Tudor experience than I have) wanted to suggest otherwise on the dial, I would be an easy sell (it is much better than NDTrading or just about any other aftermarket Tudor dial I have seen).

Initially, after reading Chris's original post & the seller's story, I thought this was a batch of exact duplicate copies, which would indicate a shipment of frankens from the same source. But the lume on my watch is different than Chris's (as well as the watch pictured on the seller's website), the crystal is clearly (no pun intended) older and in poorer condition (in this case, that is a good thing) & the movement also appears to be in a different condition & age, which makes me lean more towards the possibility of these watches being mostly or all gen.

But, in either case, these watches are gorgeous. :wub:

Now, onto the pics

tudor70160011.jpg

(As you can see, the movement & stem have obvious signs of genuine age & wear (rusting screws, stem, etc))

tudor70160081.jpg

(The perlaged pillar plate is correctly numbered)

tudor70160051.jpg

(Caseback has the look, finish & feel --you can usually tell by the way a caseback screws onto a case whether it is a gen or rep-- of a genuine Tudor part, but is it real............I am not sure?)

tudor70160091.jpg

(Crown is probably aftermarket)

Now to the Swimsuit Competition

tudor70160221.jpg

tudor70160251.jpg

tudor70160191.jpg

Here are a couple of gens for comparison

7928a-1.jpg

7928dial.jpg

52158192pl8.jpg

My conclusion, well 3 conclusions -

1. Anyone who bought 1 of these for $275 ripped off the seller - I would easily have paid $800+, as is, & still walked away thinking I got a helluva deal.

2. I can understand why Girard bought the lot thinking they were 100% gen. I am still not sure myself.

3. If you missed out on this 1............well, you missed out on the deal of a lifetime. Sorry.

Oh, 1 more thing - A BIG THANK YOU to Chris5264 for not only bringing this to the membership's attention, but doing it just in time. :good:

And for you propeller heads (like me), the movement is working exactly as I would expect a vintage Rolex-modded ETA to work

scope0021.jpg

Of course, this is far from perfect (or even typical of a Rolex calibre of similar vintage), but the beat is good & steady & can be improved with some simple adjustments.

Case also Tube and Crown,Caseback is all aftermarket.

But really good one ;)

I have handeld Kelsters and changed the Tube on it.

Also Dial is a Rep one.

The movement seems to be an old Eta,will see in person next weeks.

they come from Thailand I think. I have seen this ones also

in blue and with brown dial times before.

for the money a good deal for shure.

Case also Tube and Crown,Caseback is all aftermarket.

But really good one ;)

I have handeld Kelsters and changed the Tube on it.

Also Dial is a Rep one.

The movement seems to be an old Eta,will see in person next weeks.

they come from Thailand I think. I have seen this ones also

in blue and with brown dial times before.

for the money a good deal for shure.

Tribal - if the case is not gen, then it must be a genuinely-aged Vietnamese. I have never seen a vintage rep case that was made or aged like this.

The crown is probably aftermarket, so I would expect the tube to be from the same source.

If the movement is from Thailand, I would be VERY surprised. But, if it is, then we need to buy into whichever factory is making them, because there is nothing about the movement that would make me suspicious if a customer brought it in for repair & told me it was gen. Nothing. :huh:

I totally forgot to check it. Unfortunately, it is the same as Chris's - 737738. So the case is aftermarket, but boy is it done well. Even the engraving looks gen (aside from what is engraved).

Oh well, A skilled person could turn it into 737788.....if you know what I mean ;)

Great buy and I am still awaiting confirmation on my order...... :Jumpy:

Oh well, A skilled person could turn it into 737788.....if you know what I mean ;)

Great buy and I am still awaiting confirmation on my order...... :Jumpy:

Actually, other than replacing the crown/tube with gens, I think I am going to leave it just the way it is.

Good luck on yours. As long as it comes through, it will be worth the wait.

Wow, that is a gorgeous watch freddy. I've been thinking of picking up a gen, but after seeing yours I realize I need to research these quite a bit further. Thanks for posting, and wear it in good health!

Thanks, JoJo. I just canceled my gen plans, too. I cannot rationalize a gen when this franken is so good out-of-the-box (& for the price). But I do wish I knew more about these Tudor 'rose' Subs. Most of what I know about them comes from perusing my picture archives. I have loads of gen Tudor pics, but there is clearly alot of cross-pollination of dials between models. For example, I am seeing the same dial (similar to mine) in both 7016/0s & 7928s as well as a couple of other models that have cases that look different.

Actually, other than replacing the crown/tube with gens, I think I am going to leave it just the way it is.

Good luck on yours. As long as it comes through, it will be worth the wait.

Looks great,,,I like your dial better than mine, yours is more clean. Too bad about the SN as I was sure the case was gen,,,,it is just too good of quality to be a rep,,,but looks like it is at least a very high quality rep. I will also replace the crown and tube but no luck so far,,,,,but should be a good project....

I received 2 of these today. Serial number = DIFFERENT!!. the 7016/0 has serial 737711 has a 2483 movement, the other is a 7928 has serial 522714 has a 2459 movement. visible crystal differences in terms of height etc. different casebacks, different dials and different hands. crowns are different, cases are different. 7016 has a caseback very similar to a tudor hydronaut that i have, and the 7928 has a caseback more like a 1665 great white that i have

Looks great,,,I like your dial better than mine, yours is more clean. Too bad about the SN as I was sure the case was gen,,,,it is just too good of quality to be a rep,,,but looks like it is at least a very high quality rep. I will also replace the crown and tube but no luck so far,,,,,but should be a good project....

As far as the dials go, I think it is a case of the grass is always greener........ I still cannot decide which I like better, but either would do. As soon as I can get another 703, I will replace the rep crown/tube. In the meantime, the big question is which 1 of the Three Stooges to wear tomorrow

threestooges20051.jpg

I received 2 of these today. Serial number = DIFFERENT!!. the 7016/0 has serial 737711 has a 2483 movement, the other is a 7928 has serial 522714 has a 2459 movement. visible crystal differences in terms of height etc. different casebacks, different dials and different hands. crowns are different, cases are different. 7016 has a caseback very similar to a tudor hydronaut that i have, and the 7928 has a caseback more like a 1665 great white that i have

2459? Odd, but like I said, there seems to be alot of cross-pollination within the Tudor line.

Ray, are both of these Tudors from girards? I was not even aware they had a 7928?

Can you shoot some good, clear pics of both - front & back?

2459? Odd, but like I said, there seems to be alot of cross-pollination within the Tudor line.

Ray, are both of these Tudors from girards? I was not even aware they had a 7928?

Can you shoot some good, clear pics of both - front & back?

Both were from girards, i ordered the same watches that everyone did, and one came as a 7928. I will take some pics in a few hours, charging up the batteries for my slr. Both of my movements have some rust on it! looking quite gen to me.

Both were from girards, i ordered the same watches that everyone did, and one came as a 7928. I will take some pics in a few hours, charging up the batteries for my slr. Both of my movements have some rust on it! looking quite gen to me.

Weird. Are the dials the same? If not, does either have a chapter ring (the circular ring that runs around the dial outside the minute markers)?