When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner 7016/0

freddy333

Thanks,,,,I'm just going with the crown and tube and will hopefully turn out a decent franken tudor,,,looks like these crowns go for around 130 (usd) and up, plus more for the tube...

I wish I had more time to work on this now...figures a great project but no time to enjoy it.

Send me a Pm regarding the crown/tube and crystal..... ;)

With one of these on its way to me I'm wondering if there is any rep bracelet which would be appropriate. Any advice from the Rolex experts (for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the brand) would be appreciated. Otherwise it will simply go onto a Nato.

Curiously it was a passing interest in Rolex that brought me to the rep community in the first instance, but then I quickly added Panerai to my established love of Omegas and apart from a MBW DRSD I have avoided Rolex altogether. I have a gen Tudor chrono so I hope that this will be good company for it and it may lead to a 'Snowflake' someday.

With one of these on its way to me I'm wondering if there is any rep bracelet which would be appropriate. Any advice from the Rolex experts (for someone who knows absolutely nothing about the brand) would be appreciated. Otherwise it will simply go onto a Nato.

I am sure you will receive varying recommendations, but since it appears to be easier (& more common) to make an accurate aftermarket Rolex case than an accurate aftermarket Rolex bracelet, all of the Tudor frankens I have seen have all been sold either 'bare bones' or with a strap. So whenever I see a Tudor on a strap, the red flag immediately goes up & I know I have to view the watch with a more critical eye than I might otherwise. Fortunately, this bunch contains enough gen parts (& those that are non gen are very well executed) to make a positive ID, either way, difficult.

So what do you do when you receive a Tudor without a gen bracelet? Well, it seems to me that you have a few options. Certainly, the best option (as well as the most expensive) is to search out a gen Rolex or Tudor bracelet. The easiest option is to keep the watch on the nice black leather strap the watches come with (these are actually reasonably nice straps in their own right). Or, you can do what many typical gen owners do when their original bracelet gets damaged or the watch goes to Rolex for servicing (& the owner gets the estimate for the cost of a new/replacement bracelet) - they go generic/aftermarket (this is not the same as rep/aftermarket, since these bracelets contain no brand identifications & make no pretense at being anything other than what they are - aftermarket). As I have mused elsewhere, if you have a gen watch, you have nothing to prove when shopping for a replacement bracelet - you can pretty much use anything you want, because you do not need to rely on the ancillary parts of your watch (like the bracelet) to help cover the non-genuine nature of the watch.

In my case, I decided to think like that average gen Tudor owner, who may have received the watch as a gift & would never even consider paying Rolex/Tudor prices for a replacement part for some 'old watch'. Instead, I went with an Italian-made Milano Oyster bracelet, which offers the same quality/feel as the gen, but for a fraction of the price

oyster0061.jpg

As you can see, from this angle, it looks exactly like a gen Rolex or Tudor Oyster bracelet. However, if you flip your wrist around, the external clasp is unbranded & 1 of the polished, inside suspension pieces are stamped simply 'STEELINOX' & 'ITALY'. There is no need for oiling, filing or buffing. The links have a quality feel & the bracelet flexibility is good. If you want, you could swap the clasp & end links for gen parts. But, why? On the 'poor man's Rolex' (Tudor), I kind of dig having it held together by an unbranded bracelet. It just sort of fits the unpretentious nature of the Tudor line.

And if someone asks you about it, just say 'I am not going to spend several hundred dollars for a bracelet just to have the Tudor name on it. It's just an old watch!' So, instead of wondering if you are a deadbeat for wearing a rep, they will just walk away thinking that you are too poor (or cheap) to buy a measly Rolex bracelet.

I was thinking of putting mine on one of those Spidel expansion bands, you know, one of those arm hair stripping bands :p , just kidding.

IMO, nothing but a folded end link oyster style bracelet would look right. There are several manufacturers of these types of bracelets, so getting a quality one should not be a major deal.

I am fortunate enough to have a gen Rolex folded link oyster, so I think I will use it on mine when it arrives. I should be getting mine by the end of the week.

Curiously it was a passing interest in Rolex that brought me to the rep community in the first instance, but then I quickly added Panerai to my established love of Omegas and apart from a MBW DRSD I have avoided Rolex altogether. I have a gen Tudor chrono so I hope that this will be good company for it and it may lead to a 'Snowflake' someday.

PAMman,

I'm partial to rivet bracelets, Homer sells a nice folded 7206 rivet style bracelet for ~$70. It's not super accurate (too thick) but still handsome and won't be decrepit like most gens 7206's you'll find. Along the lines of Freddy's logic, a lot of gen owners wouldn't think twice about an aftermarket bracelet on their vintage gen watch. I've seen the same bracelet on a gen 5513 FS on Timezone.

Here it is on my franken MBK 5513

DSCN5014.jpg

Of course there is always the budget utilitarian Tropic or G10/NATO strap approach too.

DSCN4865.jpg

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I think that either of the unbranded bracelets would be a very sensible way to go. I know that older, genuine Rolex / Tudor bracelets don't really have a quality feel to them anyway so I wasn't considering going down that route. A Nato is obviously going to be the first purchase and then possibly one of the unbranded options. Thanks for the pointers.

In case anyone is interested, I just replaced the original insert/pearl with a PMWF insert/pearl

Image121.jpg

For comparison, here is a pic of the original insert/pearl

oyster0041.jpg

The PMWF insert snaps right in (& for those of you who always want to know what that means - it means no tools or glue required (though you may need to scrape the residual glue out before installing the new insert) - just press it into the insert with your thumbs)

The differences are relatively minute, to be sure. But, as van der Rohe said - 'God is in the details.'

The PMWF pearl is accurate for the Tudor, but it could use some vintagizing. I will also be swapping the crown/tube for gens, vintagizing the hands & enlarging the lug holes to accept gen 2mm springbars. If I come across a better dial for a reasonable price, that may go on the list as well. But I am getting quite comfortable with the current dial.

Although the inaccurate text at the bottom of the dial incites the occasional pang of self-consciousness, I have come to agree with whoever it was that surmised that even 99% of collectors do not have sufficient experience with Rose Subs to question the watch based on that. And based on my test drive last night, I think these Tudor frankens are very difficult to ID as anything other than a gen watch. Based on comments I received, it seems to be 1 of those watches/brands that many people have heard of (in the context of its having some murky connection with Rolex), but, when pressed, no one seems to even know how or why they know the brand. Coupled with its rarity on the street (you see Subs on just about every bus & subway train these days, but when was the last time you caught a glimpse of a Rose Tudor on some taxpayer's wrist), the added mystery seems to work in the watch's favor.

This mutt might just end up supplanting the DRSD (at least, in its current habiliment) as my daily beater.

Ok, so just when I became convinced that these dials (with 'SWISS -T <25' at the bottom) were aftermarket, I find this (pics borrowed from a senior & reliable TZ member)

31e6_3.jpg

360a_3.jpg

3076_3.jpg

The watch described in the Rolex service invoice indicates a 9315/0 bracelet with 380 end links, which are obviously not attached to the watch as it appears in the picture. I emailed the owner for clarification & will update as further info becomes available.

So what in the hell are these things??????????????

UPDATE - I just received word that the 7016/0 in the picture was sent in to Rolex with its original (damaged) bracelet because the owner felt that Rolex may retain the aftermarket strap. So it would appear that the marking below 6 o'clock on our watches may in fact not be a reliable indicator of illegitimacy. I also noticed a difference in the spacing of the lower 4 lines of text between my watch & the gen

7016compare.jpg

So, between these 2 discoveries, as well as Justasgood's findings about his watch, I am just not sure what these things are?

• 2 weeks later...
I just received word that the 7016/0 in the picture was sent in to Rolex with its original (damaged) bracelet because the owner felt that Rolex may retain the aftermarket strap. So it would appear that the marking below 6 o'clock on our watches may in fact not be a reliable indicator of illegitimacy. I also noticed a difference in the spacing of the lower 4 lines of text between my watch & the gen

7016compare.jpg

So, between these 2 discoveries, as well as Justasgood's findings about his watch, I am just not sure what these things are?

Mine has the same text spacing as the 'gen' rather than Freddy's 'rep'. Just how many variants are there?

a friend of mine had ordered one after i showed him mine, his spacing is like the gens, mine is like yours freddy.

There seems to be 3 or 4 dial variations among these.

Well, mine is due Thursday so I will let you know what I get. Kinda like Christmas in October :)

You betcha & congrads. You will love this watch. :wub:

The Rose Sub is the only Tudor I have ever thought was worth owning. In fact, I prefer it over the Rolex Sub, both for its rarity (you see Subs -- both real & not -- all over the place these days, but when was the last time you saw a Rose Tudor -- real or not) & its floral beauty (I think the Rose Sub dial is much prettier than the Rolex Sub). I have wanted a Rose Sub for years & even considered constructing a franken. But I figured the construction costs (using a standard ETA) would run at least $600. So here we have assembled frankens for less than half what it would cost to make 1 & it even comes with a gen movement. You just cannot beat that.

Between the amazingly accurate, 'Superrep' GMTIIC (fortunately, mine is 1 of the few chs versions that have been without problems)

dinnerwithjan0021.jpg

& now the Rose Tudor

Image121.jpg

2008 has to go down as an historic year for rep collectors. :1a:

Talk about being in the right place @ the right time. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

does anyone know the proper size for the caseback oring? i tried to get mine out to lube, and it was so dried up that it broke =\ i am unsure of what size it might be, it seems like 32 to 33mm, but i am not 100 percent sure! so i must ask the experts that might know