When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Investment Question

Noel Fleischer

Considering the financial crisis, which of the sport models so you think may become the most valuable in

the future? I was think of getting a SD which has now been replaced by the new DSD.

Or perhaps a 'pepsi' GMT like By-Tor bought. Look what's happening with the vintage SD! About16K for a dial.

Edited by Noel Fleischer

I don't think any of the classic models are great "investments", unless we're talking about decades when they become antique. But they're investments in the sense that you can always at least get your money back for the ones that you buy preowned now.

Sea Dweller, GMT and Subs are the safest bets of keeping (or even slightly increasing) their value as the classic models are all going out of production. Maybe temporarily, maybe permanently... who knows... Explorer II's are rather cheap right now so they might be good buys. But I seriously doubt they're going to "skyrocket" or anything. There are too many of those watches out there.

The new designs of Rolex don't seem to attract many WIS. That's why some people predict that the classic models might become more desirable.

Like ByTor said, don't expect massive gains nor expect to flip it soon for any profit. Considering that Rolex has had 2 price increases this year alone plus rumors of another one coming soon also, you would be safe with any of those ByTor already suggested. I would advice getting a sub, gmt, or sd pre-owned in good condition with box and papers. After a decade or FEW u would easily get back what you paid AT LEAST. Some WIS's are considering getting a NIB "m" serial GMT-IIc and keeping it in new unworn condition for a few decades with the hopes it would pay off with a higher that average resale value. I don't know if you are a gambling person or not, but it seems like too many "if's" in this equation for me...

Personally speaking - I have my gens, I wear them, enjoy them, and feel comforted by the fact that I know I will at least get back my initial investment if/when I wanted or needed to. I'd rather buy the watch for wearing and enjoying rather than an investment (..even though all my other investments have been goin to "heck" lately, yet Rolex is raising prices non stop... :-) ). Just my 2cent :-)

I picked up a '64 GMT Master in perfect restored condition 1 year ago for $2880. I could sell it for twice that today.

I'm hot on the trail of what I think will turn into another good investment, but I plan to wear it as a daily piece, like all my others.

Deals are out there but you have to be committed to find them. It takes a lot of legwork, research and knowledge. That's why RWG is here... so you can learn about watches. :tu:

Funny thing, the delectable Ms. Nanuq says *I* should be committed because of all these watches... :g:

Had a desperate seller in today, with an as new (worn twice) Rolex DD. Have photos if anyone is interested.

He has been asking A$8k, with NO bites. Today he tells me he bought it for U$6k in Singapore 2 years ago, and MUST quit it.

I pointed out the massively falling market, and quoted a couple of huge gen reductions these last weeks.

Final comment was, "I'll take $4k.....$3k if I have to!"

Think we will see a bit of this in days/weeks/months to come!

Investment???? not right now for mine, even blue chip shares are @ 50 % valuation!

Offshore

If you buy a new modern sports model (like 16610 sub, 16613 tt sub, 16710 gmt2, 16570 exp2, 16600 sd), when you sell it as used, will you make money? I doubt it. You're lucky if you get back what you paid. If you did, you probably still lost due to inflation. Making big profit like 2, 3 folds is even less possible. Rolex made so many of these modern models. For them to become vintages, how many years are we talking about? Don't treat them as investment. They are at best good at holding up the value better, like Mercedes vs Chevrolet. A used Mercedes is still cheaper than a new one. But you can always use investment as an excuse with your wife :)

If you want to invest, buy the vintages if you can afford them. More affordable is the limited editions. That is if you have connections to be able to buy them new, kinda like buying IPO stocks during the dot com era. I think Panerai limited editions are great investments. Those they only make 500 most of the time, for example Arktos. If you can get a hold of one when new, you're bound to make money and make it quickly. Of course like real estate, only select models have the rising power. DD, DJ of Rolex, even limited editions, probably won't go up.

-bk

Ok, Here are photos from the net of what this guy has FS.

My apologies, it is a DJ not a DD, the memory gets bad as you get older!

It's this dial &case

post-13-1224571710_thumb.jpg

on this bracelet.

post-13-1224571740_thumb.jpg

If anyone has interest, I can act as a conduit to buy it.

however I would supply his details, you thrash out the deal, and i would arrange to collect and ship, (and transfer the $$ if required.)

As I said, this is FS in A$, so be aware of your exchange rates.

Offshore

I don't think you're going to make money short term although I think a SD bought at the right price might keep up with inflation in the mid term.

As an example I bought a new unworn SD at 2900 pounds sterling, if I'd left the money in the bank it would now be worth 15 percent less in Euros and nearly 20 percent less in US Dollars. I would expect to get 2700-2800 for it secondhand so it's currently performing better than the devaluing currency I bought it in.

in 50 years a pepsi gmt or SD might be worth something. anyone think the LV will be sought after in 50 years? but in that time period with inflation you might as well just put the same amount into a GIC today. i dont collect for resale value, but it is nice to know it'll hold most of its value

Nothing is ever carved in stone as far as watch collecting goes. When I 1st got into watch collecting (mid-80s), the hot prospects were vintage Pateks (surprise, surprise) & the Rolex Prince (the originals from the 1930s). 20 years later, Pateks are still breaking records in every auction while the Prince is rarely even talked about anymore. Rolex even released a beautiful updated version of the Prince, but it has failed to live up to expectations.

That said, like the stock market, generally speaking, over time, Rolex prices always trend higher (even the Prince sells for more today than it did at its height of popularity 20 years ago). You just have to weather the occasional storm.

I don't think you're going to make money short term although I think a SD bought at the right price might keep up with inflation in the mid term.

As an example I bought a new unworn SD at 2900 pounds sterling, if I'd left the money in the bank it would now be worth 15 percent less in Euros and nearly 20 percent less in US Dollars. I would expect to get 2700-2800 for it secondhand so it's currently performing better than the devaluing currency I bought it in.

we are still a long way from the lows of 2001

brilliant pic in the sig though :D

BTW- for follow up, put down $500 deposit for a 1995 GMT pepsi today @

Tourneau. the price was $4400, alittle steep, but at least i know that the watch will be fully serviced, polished

like new. the service alone is about $500. i think it will hold the value. anything is better than the stock/currency markets

lately! its been a disaster.

Edited by Noel Fleischer

BTW- for follow up, put down $500 deposit for a 1995 GMT pepsi today @

Tourneau. the price was $4400, alittle steep, but at least i know that the watch will be fully serviced, polished

like new. the service alone is about $500. i think it will hold the value. anything is better than the stock/currency markets

lately! its been a disaster.

Congratulations, Noel. I cannot wait to see pics.

Too bad you are not close, geographically, to By-Tor so you could have some portraits done. No one photographs GMTs better than he does. I am not sure how, but he always makes them look better than they do in real life.

on ebay they have some in the mid 3's. apparently one went for 2k recently which seems

way too low. these are crazy times, some people are very desperate for $$

i'm not sure i trust buying from ebay.

its not bought yet- just a holding deposit.

Edited by Noel Fleischer

thanx freddy- do you think that's a reasonable price?

Impossible to value without good, clear pics, especially of the dial & movement. If everything is good & clean, the price you quoted would be on the high side of reasonable (considering the current state of the world economy), assuming the watch was recently serviced (with paperwork to prove it) & comes with a guarantee. You might query By-Tor to get his opinion.