When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are you driving?

alphakazi

rkdk:

Are you on DK or UK? The Beemer is a RHD with UK plates, but all the rest are LHD! What year is the XJ8? I looked into these a couple of years ago, and the newer V8's are (among other things) more reliable than its V6 predecessor, but with the same MPG rating.

Sorry, but i didnt have a picture of my e32, so i "stole" this one. Im in dk, so the steering wheel is on the wrong side in the picture.

Actually i was trying a 95 xj6. It was a superb car. very nice ride and handling. All services where ok, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Im still thinking about it, because i want it as a daily driver. Just want to be sure that its reliable.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, maybe in french that different. So, next time I will use "incongruity". Thanks for the english lesson.

:)

Having gotten so tied up in semantics that I didn't even answer the point you made (d'oh!), I'd better correct that...

I get where you're coming from, but I don't entirely agree. I've owned expensive cars in the past and am planning to buy a Mercedes fairly soon. Yes, I could afford a gen watch or two, but I enjoy my reps - they keep excellent time, and for the price of a single gen Tag Grand Carrera I can own a VC, a couple of Panerais, a couple of APs and a bunch of others that I won't cry about if they get scratched at work (which happens on occasion).

If I was wearing a gen, I'd be constantly worrying about it getting damaged...

Anyhow, it leaves more money to spend on antique books and fast cars :D

Sorry, but i didnt have a picture of my e32, so i "stole" this one. Im in dk, so the steering wheel is on the wrong side in the picture.

Actually i was trying a 95 xj6. It was a superb car. very nice ride and handling. All services where ok, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with it. Im still thinking about it, because i want it as a daily driver. Just want to be sure that its reliable.

May I suggest consulting with a few independent Jag service ctrs? This is what I did to get an impartial opinion. They've no axe to grind.

Ya know, that's a very tempting idea. An cheap old Jag (or even a Merc) as a 'daily beater' and something fancier for the weekends. Just like watches.

You've got me thinking now, rkdk...

I have reps (several) AND gens (several - rolex only). That is no antagonism, that is the reason why I can't afford a USD 125k car, only a USD 70k car ;)

Some people don't buy reps because they can't afford the gen. Some people buy them because of the fun modding them to a nearly gen look, feel and quality.

People buying reps because they can't afford the gens are trying to impress others with something they actually don't have and are the kind of people I am looking down on.

Ya know, that's a very tempting idea. An cheap old Jag (or even a Merc) as a 'daily beater' and something fancier for the weekends. Just like watches.

You've got me thinking now, rkdk...

With all these older luxury cars around for no money, there is nooooo reason to drive a citroen berlingo or such. :D

Especially if you dont live in denmark, where prices are insane on cars.

Get one with good service history, and they will outlast you.

classy all week, and fun for the weekend. ;) ;)

I once had a boss who used to say, "There are only two kinds of Jag owners: Rich ones drive new Jags, and poor ones drive old Jags". He himself was an arrogant fat bunt who drove Mercedes and owned nursing homes on the side..

Edited by f5mando

I have reps (several) AND gens (several - rolex only). That is no antagonism, that is the reason why I can't afford a USD 125k car, only a USD 70k car ;)

Some people don't buy reps because they can't afford the gen. Some people buy them because of the fun modding them to a nearly gen look, feel and quality.

People buying reps because they can't afford the gens are trying to impress others with something they actually don't have and are the kind of people I am looking down on.

Have you ever considered that some people buy a 70.000$ car, so they can pull of wearing a patek replica?

Wrap your head around that ;)

I once had a boss who used to say, "Only two kinds of people drive Jags. Rich ones drive new Jags, and poor ones drive old ones". He was a fat bunt who drove Mercedes and owned nursing homes on the side..

LOL. Well, i never said i was rich.

Well I guess I'm one of your targets being that I have an posted a certain $130,000 car in my garage and the bank didn't give me the money for it either. And yes, I do own more than a few genuine watches as do probably hundreds of members here. In fact, there are more than a few who have both modern and vintage collections well intothe hundreds of thousands in value.

But the point is that most of us are here because this is a better place for watch lovers than ANY genuine forum on the net and that is what keeps us coming back. It is also more fun in many cases to embark on the experience of building up and modding a great replica watch. I'm about to do a vintage Rolex 1680 Submariner project and as always the journey will be the destination. Could I find and buy a genuine vintage Rolex? Sure, but building the rep will be much more satisfying. It isn't about being cheap or not knowing how to spend your money. That said, I have made some gen purchases of watches that there are excellent reps of that probably make no sense to others, but to each his own. If you are going to get along well here I would suggest you try and understand that we are all watch lovers first. That is what is cool about this place. You can't judge a true watch nut by his cover. Now over on TZ, you may find a more even scale that measure how much dough a guy has by looking at his collection.

My SAT's in English were kind of low and I'm just a dumb trader who gambles for a living, but my vocabulary doesn't have to be good to know that the only antagonsim in this thread seems to be coming from you brother. To each his own...

Sorry but where i'm living people who buy Aston Martin buy real Rolex. Look. When you buy this type of car, you live in a 1,000,000$ house with 125,000$ car and a 5,000$ watch.

antagonism: is when 2 things are oposit. Ex: You have enough money to buy a 125,000$ car but not enough money to buy a 1,000$ watch (or more). THAT's antagonism. I know many of us have hobbys (I love cars and I can do stupid things for that). BUT, here any bank can give money to a "normal man" with a "normal" life who want buy an expensive car...

Imagine: car:125,000$, insurance: 12,000$/year, gas:70$/2days.

I know what I say and exactly what I'm talking about.

With all these older luxury cars around for no money, there is nooooo reason to drive a citroen berlingo or such. :D

Amen to that.

Especially if you dont live in denmark, where prices are insane on cars.

Yeah, I know - I used to spend quite a bit of time in Denmark (business) way back when... I dunno how you guys manage to afford decent machinery over there...

Get one with good service history, and they will outlast you.

classy all week, and fun for the weekend. ;) ;)

Like I said - a tempting idea. I was planning to buy one good car (still tempted by the AMG E55 I was talking about in the other car thread), but two (one expensive for weekends, one cheap for a 'beater) sounds like fun :D

Oooooooh! Who's a little judgmental, then? Who are you to (and why would you) look down upon anyone? Those are rhetorical questions, by the way.. I do wonder why a comment like this would be posted on a replica enthusiasts' site, though. You say you own several reps yourself, yet you judge others' reasons for doing the same? All your gens are Rolex. :clapping:

I think very few of us here are actually "rich" - the term in itself is relative anyhow but the fact of the matter is smart people simply don't waste money they don't have.

You can buy a good $400 replica of a $10k watch but you can't buy a new $100k exotic car for $4000 or I'd do it

You can though, buy a used Mecedes Benz S class for $17k instead of spending $110k on a new one like I did ;)

Between all my reps and my benz, I spent less than $20k and I'm quite happy with my decisions - the money I save allows me to buy another investment property that will eventually be free and clear ensuring a decent retirement - new cars and expensive gen watches probably wouldn't (there are exceptions to the rule mind you :) Rock Stars can blow $ as they see fit and still have oodles more come in but even they can't keep blowing it as stardom isn't forever - you'll see many Rock Stars eventually go poor and kill themselves :p Once the money stops coming in, they lack the discipline to manage it )

Replica watches are just a smart buy - no matter how much $ you have

next time you see that Aston Martin owner, don't be so sure his watch is a gen

Well I guess I'm one of your targets being that I have an posted a certain $130,000 car in my garage and the bank didn't give me the money for it either. And yes, I do own more than a few genuine watches as do probably hundreds of members here. In fact, there are more than a few who have both modern and vintage collections well intothe hundreds of thousands in value.

But the point is that most of us are here because this is a better place for watch lovers than ANY genuine forum on the net and that is what keeps us coming back. It is also more fun in many cases to embark on the experience of building up and modding a great replica watch. I'm about to do a vintage Rolex 1680 Submariner project and as always the journey will be the destination. Could I find and buy a genuine vintage Rolex? Sure, but building the rep will be much more satisfying. It isn't about being cheap or not knowing how to spend your money. That said, I have made some gen purchases of watches that there are excellent reps of that probably make no sense to others, but to each his own. If you are going to get along well here I would suggest you try and understand that we are all watch lovers first. That is what is cool about this place. You can't judge a true watch nut by his cover. Now over on TZ, you may find a more even scale that measure how much dough a guy has by looking at his collection.

My SAT's in English were kind of low and I'm just a dumb trader who gambles for a living, but my vocabulary doesn't have to be good to know that the only antagonsim in this thread seems to be coming from you brother. To each his own...

Well, I understand your view. Sorry I used a wrong word. The good one is "incongruity".

Alphakazi, in this point I'm agree.

Well, I don't know where you're living guys. But you have to know, in France people who buy 130,000

Yeah we get it but that is what I'm trying to tell you. Salary doesn't matter. We are enthusiasts and so there is no coorolation. I'm sure many here would be surprised at how much many members here make in a month and might ask what they are doing here if they earn that much, but the lines are blurred as I said. You can't use salary as a benchmark. There is no coorolation between our incomes and watch buying habits.

I'm sure that I don't know any other 911 Turbo owners in my town that knowingly wear replica watches besides me. Moreover, I know of at least two 911 Turbo owners who don't make what I make in a month, and two others that make ten times what I make in a month. See what I mean?

All I'm saying is we can't always judge a book by its cover and I'm sure it is no different in France either.

Well, I understand your view. Sorry I used a wrong word. The good one is "incongruity".

Alphakazi, in this point I'm agree.

Well, I don't know where you're living guys. But you have to know, in France people who buy 130,000