When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Define "Franken"

dieselpower

My next project is awaiting the Dr. to return from vacation; however, is it still a franken if it's 100% gen???

Gen case

Gen dial

Gen hands

Gen tube

Gen crown

Gen bezel

Gen crystal

Gen movement

Gen bracelet

marty_brain5_76.jpg

Yes.

Even if all the parts are 100% OEM originals. For the watch to be gen, it must be assembled/maintained by the parent company.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.

Even if all the parts are 100% OEM originals. For the watch to be gen, it must be assembled/maintained by the parent company.

I do believe that if a watch like that were to be taken to the brand AD, they would consider it genuine. If that is the case, then only those who know how it was assembled will call it a franken.

I do believe that if a watch like that were to be taken to the brand AD, they would consider it genuine. If that is the case, then only those who know how it was assembled will call it a franken.

That's an interesting point, bro, I guess the only thing which might clinch it from an ADs perspective, would be things like papers and matching serial numbers... As you say, they might well consider it genuine, where an enthusiast might consider it franken. This is like the point I made last night about transsexuals. I doubt anyone would treat this person as 'a man', but with the courtesy due to all women...

graziellyDsm-1.jpg

I think there 2 meaning to franken :

1) the exact signification :

anything build from parts or altered (maybe with just one crown)

2) the common signification among the watch enthousiast (not just rep collector, as the term is olso used by the other watch freaks ...) :

A watch build in a way that it share a lot of common parts with the gen, and cannot just be refered as a rep

wich is a watch that would interest any gen collector (at least for the gen parts that can be striped from it anytime and be sold as true genuine...)

For me a franken is clearly the second meaning.

And i do consider a franken over a gen :

- anything with the gen movement. (even if it is only the movemnt)

- anything with the same base caliber and a good mixt of gen part (and that do exlude the sprinbar :p)

- anything with everything gen, exept the movement. If it not the same base caliber then it gota be 90% gen in any other aspect (for example the hands or date disk can be not gen, as usualy gen hand don't fit on other base caliber).

So to franken a luxury watch (and not a festina) the total cost of the parts in the project is usualy very high and is often more then what it takes to buy a nice second hand gen (SMP/speedmaster/Insert model here). And i am not even speaking of the time needed to source part and to build...

So building a true franken is really a mater of passion over logic.

So i tend to expect a lot for what is refered as franken...

well atleast it the way i see it ...

quote =

i consider a true franken gen dial, crown, bezel, clasp. not sure where a gen movement would put it.

/quote

I recently made up a 'frankenstein' rolex 1016 using a genuine 16204 case with bored out lugs, smooth aftermarket bezel cut to fit a GS PA464-64C crystal (same type as rolex 22 flat top), 26 jewel hack rolex 1520, Asian dial made to fit the rolex movement, and aftmkt hands.

A genuine dial would be nice of course, but I do not have a good used 1016 dial and did not want to waste a pricey nos dial on a project watch.

The watch is on a black padded leather strap with a signed .925 silver buckle.

Imho, even if it is 90% rolex...it is still a 100% 'frankenstein' watch. It's just a collection of parts, some genuine, some not, and none correct for a proper 1016 rolex.

I believe in order for any watch to qualify as 'franken', it needs to have a few genuine parts. What the genuine parts should be is of course, up for debate.

Otoh, a 'frankenrep' made from mixed 100% replica parts is still a 100% replica, maybe pushed into the 'fantasy replica' realm if no similar genuine watch exists.

No matter what...they are cool!

I just hope none are sold as genuine.

I also believe if they are not always worn by/owned by a 'replicaguy', the watch should be disassembled if there is any chance it could be sold as genuine.