When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

gen PO is garbage

genevaroth

I am so dissapointed I actually tried on a gen full size PO. I was thinking about getting the gen as a treat for myself and I wanted to see it in person.

I cannot believe how badly it feels and is made- cheap, no super cheap sounding and feeling bezel. clunky junky movement, the rotor sounds like junk. and the bracelet, mah. over all it feels like a cheap bulova sub. my 10 buck rolex rep feels better.

I guess I have been spoiled by seiko and other high end non omega reps.

You shouldn't hold back - just say what you really think, LOL.

While I may not put it so strongly I have to say that the gap between the rep UPO and the gen PO is not that great. The PO is one watch where I would never be tempted to upgrade from the rep (UPO) to the gen, totally unlike the step-up from the rep SMP to the gen. The gen SMP really is a quality piece and I consider both the Bond and the black to be classics. Curiously, my 'really-old-school' Bond SMP rep also feels like a quality watch although it has the typical rep SMP inaccuracies. It sits comfortably in my watch box alongside a gen black SMP and there is no way that they will be joined by a gen PO.

Well I have had a gen 42MM PO for quite some time and I couldn't disagree more. I also had the famed UPO rep for some time which sparked the gen purchase. I think they are both great watches and very well made for the money.

In my experience the sound of the bezel cannot be used as a quality gauge. Consider the Breitling Steelfish which I believe to be the best sports watch for the money hands down at a street price of $2300 or so (I'm not speaking about looks as that is opinion - I mean fit/finish vs. cost). The bezel "sounds" terrible but yet it is made extremely well. Go figure.

For the record, I think the PO is the second best sports watch for the money considering a street price of $2500 or so. Like the Fish, the movement is also a wonderful chronometer build on a great ebauche. I can see why one may judge the watch cheap by the bezel sound I suppose, but I don't see how one could judge the fit and finish pf all the rest of the parts as anything but world class. Sure, it isn't as nice as say, my UN Diver, but then it costs half as much. The bottom line is that if one wants or needs that "ooh-la-la" feel from a watch, you usually have to spend a lot more than 3K, and the UN is an exception because you usually have to spend a lot more than that too...

I would't go so far as to call the gen rubbish, as afterall, it is genuinely manufactured. But, I'd certainly think this is a good example of the true quality of reps available now, and how they are now truly comparable to the quality of the original watches (especially if the parts are coming from the same sweatshop, sorry, I mean factory :lol: ) Sure, there are still some shoddy quality reps available, I saw plenty on the markets in Spain, but the ones available from our online sources... They're just value for money ^_^

Lets not get carried away :p

The dial on the gen PO is perfect. everything is straight and clean. The crown screws down very smoothly. The AR is beautiful. The pearl is perfect. No competition here, the gen is far better.

Of course the gen PO is perfect, in the sense that it's perfectly accurate and is of good quality. However, I thought that the bezel of the gen would be significantly better but it feels similar to my UPO. Mine is tight and turns very smoothly and precisely but I expected the knurling on the gen to feel better

The difference between gen Omegas, Rolexes, Breitlings and TAGs vs. best reps are minimal. There are some, but people DO exaggerate them. Especially the ones that own genuines. Maybe that way they're trying to justify the price for themselves.

Especially Rolex. There's very little difference between my gen Rolex GMT and the WM9 Sub... the rep feels heavier and sturdier (with the solid link bracelet). People who say they're "worlds apart" are definitely weird in my eyes.

Gen PO is an amazing watch and one of the few "cheap luxury watches" that really is a good buy. Especially the 42mm model... the 4th Gen rep doesn't compare. UPO with an aftermarket AR coating is a different story... it can "replace" the gen (imho).

PS: Yes, I agree. That was a weird 1st post.

Right then. The bottom line is the really good so called 1:1 quality reps are getting better, but you really can't judge a gen by the quality of a rep. You jusdge the quality of the rep by comparing it to the gen. Chicken or the egg?

Consider the Steelfish. I have the gen and also had the rep. The rep has some accuracy flaws, but it is mostly as good in terms of fit and finish. Very high quality reps tend to be judgeed by flaws these days, not build quality as those standards have come way up and many are nearly equal to their gen counterparts in that respect.

What you are really saying is that the UPO is a great rep of the gen. But that doesn't mean that the gen is garbage. It just means that rep isn't garbage...

Of course the gen PO is perfect, in the sense that it's perfectly accurate and is of good quality. However, I thought that the bezel of the gen would be significantly better but it feels similar to my UPO. Mine is tight and turns very smoothly and precisely but I expected the knurling on the gen to feel better

Consider the Steelfish. I have the gen and also had the rep. The rep has some accuracy flaws, but it is mostly as good in terms of fit and finish. Very high quality reps tend to be judgeed by flaws these days, not build quality as those standards have come way up and many are nearly equal to their gen counterparts in that respect.

I agree. SFSO isn't an amazing rep only because it's so accurate. It's the build quality which is just stunning. Very difficult to believe it's a rep actually... it's so well done.

Yeah, I pretty much disagree completely with the original poster. The gen PO is one of the nicest watches I've ever owned -- and I've had/ some beauties. Dead on accurate, winds unbelievably smoothly, great AR. The bezel is bulletproof. Far superior IMO to the Submariner irrespective of the price difference, which seals the deal for me.

Having had a fully (I mean, fully) modified UPO, I can say the gen is far and away better. Keep this in mind, as well: to fully modify a UPO, you're going to need near as makes no difference to $1000. I picked up my nearly new PO for $1700. Factor in consistent build quality, factory warranty and service, accuracy and reliability of the co-axial movement, the decision for me was clear.

PO4.jpg

Yeah, I pretty much disagree completely with the original poster. The gen PO is one of the nicest watches I've ever owned -- and I've had/ some beauties. Dead on accurate, winds unbelievably smoothly, great AR. The bezel is bulletproof. Far superior IMO to the Submariner irrespective of the price difference, which seals the deal for me.

Having had a fully (I mean, fully) modified UPO, I can say the gen is far and away better. Keep this in mind, as well: to fully modify a UPO, you're going to need near as makes no difference to $1000. I picked up my nearly new PO for $1700. Factor in consistent build quality, factory warranty and service, accuracy and reliability of the co-axial movement, the decision for me was clear.

PO4.jpg

Well Said! The exact reason why I sold my UPO. I bought it with the intention to put in some gen parts but after some calculation, it would costs around $1200 or so! I would have a $1200 rep of a $2700 gen. I decided that it is not worth it.

The first post is really exaggerated in my opinion. The PO is really one of the best sports watches around for its price!

You are dead on about the AR. The gen PO AR for some reason is just magical combined with the dial texture. That and the contrast of the polished steel on the edge of the hands and the bezel insert contrasting with the polished edges of the case just make the watch pop at every angle. The more diffused the light, the better. To this day, I sometimes just stare at it in my dressing room passing the full length mirror. So rich looking and the AR has a LOT to do with it. Sometimes it isn't the AR itself but more that the AR draws your attention to other elements in certain ways...

Lets not get carried away :p

The dial on the gen PO is perfect. everything is straight and clean. The crown screws down very smoothly. The AR is beautiful. The pearl is perfect. No competition here, the gen is far better.

To a certain extent...I agree with the original poster.

PO's in my opinion don't have much "feel" for the money, and I believe there are better alternatives out there pound for pound. To those who are quick to get after this gent, relax...he wasn't comparing rep and gen, but merely saying he is suprised this particular watch fetches what it does.