When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Toad's Guide: Ajoesmith's Mother of All Tutorials REDUX

Toadtorrent

Ajoesmith-Background.jpg

Ok...I have little to nothing to do with the content of this tutorial, other than finding it useful, and salvaging the files packaged by SSSurfer, resizing them, editing them and reassembling the package here.

This has been a much-in-demand tutorial that when AJS left RWG, died with him with no images, and really...marginal utility.

The original posting had 203 images or so that amounted to a 40Mb post to download that had to be spread across three posts in order to get all the images in. To make the post more readable, I have done the following:

• reduced the quality of the images to reduce image download size by 75%
  • removed the similar pictures that I felt didn't really serve much use in order to have the tutorial contained in 2 posts, rather than 3
  • added in user edits where applicable

Hopefully people find it useful...and I thank AJS for putting this together initially. A lot of time and effort went into photographing all the steps, and linking them to the tutorial. I'm sorry if I offended him by removing some of his wine shots, and other misc. picx.

Remember...if you find this type of information useful, consider upgrading your membership to a paid subscription, to ensure the life of the board and it's content is here for you in the future.

AJOESMITH'S MOTHER OF ALL TUTORIALS - SWAPPING A DG2813 WITH A HIGH BEAT DG4813

Ok finally all done. This is a tutorial of how to install a DG4813 into a noob sub! This is just my method and i do what works for me. This may or may not be the correct way of doing this but im no expert.

I'd like to thank the forums mainly RWG and Rgeek as they have provided me with the knowledge to do this. So enjoy!

What youll need for the job, notice the nice glass of Red!

CIMG3476.jpg

Of course the watch it self, a Noob Sub, the movement for the swap, a new DG4813 fastbeat movement. Some post it notes, tweezers etc and some lint free paper? You will also need a Rolex caseback tool.

EDIT: There is an expensive Bergeon set with a complete set of Rolex dies, but for the most part, the only die you will need is the large 29.5mm one which will fit Subs, Daytonas, Seadwellers, etc. Obviously it won't fit the ladies DJs. If you need to work on the smaller Rollies, you might consider additional chucks or the larger set.

CIMG3479.jpg

The Red wine

CIMG3480.jpg

The Watch - a Noob Factory Sub

CIMG3481.jpg

First step, get the bracelet off, so that we can get access to the case back. Remove the plastic if present (i.e. a new watch). Open the buckle and the divers extension.

CIMG3485.jpg

Here is the bracelet with the spring bar removed. The springbar needs to be pressed and released to release the divers extension.

CIMG3487.jpg

Watch sitting flat and easier to access the caseback in front of the bergeon Rolex case back opening tools.

EDIT: You can use generic arms for the tool, but I recommend using the genuine Bergeon 29.5mm chuck as the teeth will not wreck your caseback

CIMG3489.jpg

The red wine, time for a sip

CIMG3490.jpg

Nice

CIMG3480.jpg

The bergeon openers, going to use the biggest one on the far right (29.5mm)

CIMG3492.jpg

Here it is, with the arms attached, watch face down in hand, and the case back opener on top. Apply pressure and turn.

CIMG3496.jpg

Off the back comes where you can remove the rubber seal with tweezers.

CIMG3498.jpg

At thie point, turn the watch over and unscrew the crown and pull out to the time setting position and set the time to 12 oclock, this will help in the hand

removal

CIMG3499.jpg

Time for another mouthful of wine...and another.

Next to remove the movement, you'll need to unscrew the movement holder screws - 1 here

CIMG3502.jpg

and 1 here

CIMG3503.jpg

With the 2 screws Unscrewed, remove the 2 metal tabs

CIMG3506.jpg

Next to release the stem, here is the stem release button in close up

CIMG3509.jpg

While pressing it GENTLY, use the other hand to pull the stem out by the pulling on the crown, when the stem releases, stop pushing on the stem release button.

EDIT: Some including The Zigmeister say to always remove the stem in the winding position, to reduce the chances of throwing the keyless works out of position when putting the stem back in

CIMG3511.jpg

Stem out

CIMG3512.jpg

Turn the watch on its side then quickly and smoothly turn the watch dial side up n a sheet of paper or something clean (e.g. a casing pad)

CIMG3514.jpg

Sometimes the movement doesnt 'drop' and needs a light 'tap'. A few taps on the crystal and it should come out.

CIMG3516.jpg

Lift the watch case away and set it t the side leaving the movement, dial and hands, which you'll need from now on

EDIT: Leave the case facing down to avoid getting dust settling on the inside of the case and on the inside of the crystal

CIMG3518.jpg

Lift the movement up and there is the movement holder under it, again place it to the side

CIMG3519.jpg

Some more wine...Another sip!

EDIT: SD4K mentioned that to remove the hands, If you adjust the hands to 12h (date-switch-position) before you take em off,you will have less problems with setting the hands in the right position when you put them back on.

To remove the hands youll need some post it notes or a Bergeon dial protector, and a hand removal tool. Peel off a post-it, fold it in half and cut to shorten the length, and then cut it in 2 sticky pieces lengthwise. Place the post-its at 3 oclock and 9 oclock position and under the hour hand.

CIMG3527.jpg

Use the hand removal tool to remove the hands, its very difficult to photograph as I only have 2 hands, 1 for the camera and 1 for the tool, so this pic is really just to show you the position, don

• Like 3

Great stuff there Toadtorrent, guides like these are always fantastic to look through.

Loads of time and effort put in to this so well done.

A small word of caution to the inspired, don't even think about attemping this sort of thing without the correct tools. Make sure you have the time, the clean space and all the kit you need in front of you before you start.......

.......and the glass of wine is strictly for pro's like Toad ;)

Great Tutorial Thanks, just what I needed to fix my old LV

My LV has a plastic washer holding the mov. anybody knows a source for the metal movement holder ring and the case clamps/screws ?

:fishing1:

Some gens use a plastic movement holder...don't worry about it if you're using a closed caseback.

• 4 months later...

man i enjoyed that tutorial man ;) you & aj's help me greatly ;) .

now i have swapped my dssd factory dg2813 wich sucked ! .

with a new offeri dg2813 , everything went well BUT the date is of center due to , i didnt swap the old date wheel cause i am not confident enuff to do the date wheel swap ;) .

but i will practice on a old dg mvt & once i feel that i am ready , i will try your method ;) .thanx !

but for the moment my dssd with the offeri dg2813 is working like an eta man !! i cant get over on what a difference a new offeri dg mvt works over a factory rep dg mvt ..

i take it that dg4813 was the aj's version with the correct hight for the hands ?

Man thats good to know , im actualy swapping the date wheel inlay on my offrei dg 2813 , soon i will post some pix .

p.s. i thoght i read one of aj's thread pertaining to the 2813/4813 swap that the hight of the canon pinion is not the same as the dg2813 .. & that they only made a few of dg4813 with the right hand hight ..

but i hope that you are right cause i would love to swap with the better 4813 ;) , i just wasent sure about the hand hight ;) .

thanx again man great thread .. ill post some pix in a few im almost done ..

Another question:

I found this while looking for a DG4813...

Id also like to point out that the DG4813 that i can supply has a higher hour wheel height compared to other DG4813 that are available through the like of Ofrei , eBay etc. Their DG4813 has a very short hour wheel height resulting in very little space if any to attach the hour hand after the dial spacer and dial have been installed on the movement.

I have attached the technical information of the movement as well for you to see the difference between the low hour height provided by Ofrei and eBay sellers and the higher hour wheel height provided by me.

The price for this movement is $35.

Found Here >>>

For this kind of money, I certainly wouldn't mind paying a little extra if this makes sense to have a movement that sounds like it has an advantage over the others. Thoughts on this?

Details:

Model: DG 4813

Beats/Hour: 28,800

Size: 26.00mm (11