When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

(quality) Replica Watch life

Krayfish

Got a reply from a dealer, said the swiss movements are much more reliable, with swiss & expect a minimum of a year?

His has lasted 4 in his sub so far (but does that mean he's doing well??), but being swiss surly they should last 10-15 EASY!

Loads of vintage watches on the market that are still going strong 40-50 years later!

Hoping it holds out for a year having spent $350 bucks on it is like its a ticking timebomb, even a cheap seiko for $40 will

last an age!

Minimum of 1 yr?

:mellow:

Got a reply from a dealer, said the swiss movements are much more reliable, with swiss & expect a minimum of a year?

His has lasted 4 in his sub so far (but does that mean he's doing well??), but being swiss surly they should last 10-15 EASY!

Loads of vintage watches on the market that are still going strong 40-50 years later!

Hoping it holds out for a year having spent $350 bucks on it is like its a ticking timebomb, even a cheap seiko for $40 will

last an age!

Minimum of 1 yr?

:mellow:

There is a search button in the upper tight corner of your screen.....

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...=watch+lifespan

Funny that......never saw that when I searched.

Ta.

Funny that......never saw that when I searched.

Ta.

Yup...searching is a funny business. I find that I have to try a couple search terms...look for possible "more unique" terms to search on...try again and you might narrow things down more. It often takes a few attempts to ensure you've got your bases covered in your research.

Regarding your primary question, I've had only one rep stop functioning out of ab. 20 purchased over the last four years -- and that was probably the least expensive rep that I purchased (ab. $75).

With reasonable use and maintenance, a decent rep should last as long as any non-rep that you purchase.

The main caveat is that quality control standards in rep factories may not be as stringent as in regular factories, so reps sometimes require a thorough cleaning and lubrication very early in their lives in order to last a long time. So for that $350 rep you may want to invest another couple hundred dollars in a pre-emptive service... or buy one with a movement that can be replaced in a few years.

Help me here guys....

I kind of look at it like how the military does all the PM on all their aging aircraft... they systematically replace parts, pieces, and systems bit by bit. Pretty soon, they have 'rebuilt' the aircraft around the pilot. Thats how they manage to keep 30-40 year old aircraft air worthy.

So why the analogy? Isnt a service from a watch dealer, replacing a movement when it dies, changing dials etc.. along the same lines? If you have a favorite (come on, you know you do....) and you take care of it, change what needs changing, things should run indefinatetly...

Or am I missing the point?

Thx,

-K

If you treat your watch with care, operate it with gentleness, and do not expose it to harsh elements like water, then I don't see why it wouldn't do 5+ years....

I have many old ASIAN powered reps now hitting the 2 year mark, and these are the "notorious" 7750 chrono, I use the stopwatch frequently mind you...

Any watch will last as long as parts and service are available.

One catch with replicas is they often have non standard case and movement parts with no spare parts available.

Otoh, I would guess a swiss eta movement watch would run longer than an Asian movement watch without any service at all...provided you get a good one to start with.

Leaking gaskets, knocks, heat, cold, the way the watch is treated, how much it is worn etc has a bearing on the life too.

I have seen 5 year old replicas worn daily that look almost new.

I have seen 1 year old genuine rolex watches that look 25 years old.

Much of the life span of any watch depends on how it is treated.

If I wanted a 'one year watch'...I would go for the cheaper Asian movement watch.

If I wanted a 'five year watch'...I would go for a swiss eta movement watch.

Yup I hear ya there, I'm thinking I might get the euromariner with Swiss ETA it's also 50m water resistant too, 480 bucks but seeing as I will be using it regular I think it would be worth the investment.

From what I have read here it seems to be the best rep so far, only thing is I we to figure out

if it's more authentic with the rolexrolexrolex engravings on the rehaut or not.

:)

Thanks for all the help so far guys, awesome forum!!!

Yup I hear ya there, I'm thinking I might get the euromariner with Swiss ETA it's also 50m water resistant too, 480 bucks but seeing as I will be using it regular I think it would be worth the investment.

From what I have read here it seems to be the best rep so far, only thing is I we to figure out

if it's more authentic with the rolexrolexrolex engravings on the rehaut or not.

:)

Thanks for all the help so far guys, awesome forum!!!

Great choice. Glad you are picking the best to start with. It should last you a VERY long time.

I think it's the way forward to be honest, I'm not like a lot of you guys, don't think I would

feel very confident pulling one apart to mod it!

In my case a basic noob one would be a false economy I think.

Not to say they are not good, but a euro one has all the quality to start with from what I can see.

On eurotimez site he has the noob ones, which I understand, then the Euro versions which thanks

to this site I also have a grasp with (by-tor's reviews) but there is another link with just 'rolex' that

has some stunners in there too, Swiss ETA again it's the stainless strap and case, black face with

gold center band and bezel, love that too but can't place which one it is (not noob, Wm9, euro)

it's $375, the euro is a peach but I would like to know about that one too :)

Anyone got one?

Edited by Steviejay01

earlier today, i had a long convo about rep maintenance w/a local shop

he said that if a rep automatic is within 30 secs/day he can easily live with it

if it loses more, then bring it in and expect to pay a minimum of $75 for a service/lube/seal job

the only real alternative to absolute infallible punctuality is to get a digital watch

then we laughed about how doctors always wear digital timepieces but are always late for their appointments :D