When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The One that Got Away

freddy333

Those of you who have been following my 6542 project will recall that I purchased this partially disassembled (though complete) 1036gmt calibre, 6542 dial & handset from Ofrei 2 weeks ago. You may also recall that due to a screw-up at Ofrei, the entire lot got sold out from under me to someone in Ohio 2 days after I paid for it. :blink::black_eye:

Well, although it comes as no surprise, it did cause my blood pressure to spurt when I saw my movement & dial for sale on ebay for what I am sure will turn out to be astronomically inflated prices. Unfortunately, I will just have to chalk it up to experience since there is nothing left to do but pout. :(

Freddy,

Sorry to hear that....unfortunately however, we all are well aware that Bob Frei is a flake.

Must tell you some time, about what he did to me over shipping costs, and his "minimum value' for "export" shipping.

Nothing would surprise me from that lot.

offshore

Flakiness is 1 thing, but he was genuinely sorry when he became aware of the mix-up & did phone the other guy to see if he would be willing to return the movement (like that would happen). I just have to wonder if Bob is even aware that the guy he gave my movement to is a flipper? Or whether it would matter to him that the movement he sold for a few hundred is now on ebay & likely to fetch 20-30 times that?

I will just have to chalk it up to experience since there is nothing left to do but pout. :(

Yeah, I have been on the wrong end of a few hot deals, the last being a rolex gmt master II that I thought I bought for $650, but the idiot who had it sold it! on credit! before I could get the ca$h to him the next day.

I have also talked to 'Bob Friendly' on the phone. I stayed a few steps ahead of him and he stayed cool. If you ask a question that requires much thought, he Bingos.

Otoh, I was looking for a spare 1030 movement last year and a running tutone 6605 DJ with the original bracelet for $1000 turned up right after I put the word out. It has a chronomter grade 1065 with a breguet haispring. Inside the caseback is I-56 and the clasp is stamped "swiss made" and "14" (for 14k center links), dated "3-56". It sort of made up for the gmt screwup.

Wait around and another deal will usually come by.

For instance, a guy called yesterday with a (running!) mid 1980s tutone oysterquartz 17013 DJ for $1500, not a bad price but I passed because I feel the same about OQs as I feel about Accutrons...they are like high priced light bulbs.

If it belongs to you when it pops, you are screwed.

If you sell it and it pops, the buyer will come knocking on the door. (after they find out how much rolexcrooks charge to fix it)

Something funny about the OQ...I sold it in July 1998. I figured it was gone for good.

...well, it's baaack. :huh:

Considering that it went from sold (2 days after I had paid for it) to posted on the bay in less than 2 weeks, I have a hunch the guy serviced it himself (& the service was of the dip-&-go variety). It is very difficult to gauge the value of a movement like this since they are so rare. But I would expect the ebay hammer will ultimately fall somewhere between $3,500-$10,000.