When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7016/0 arrived today

PAMman

My Tudor arrived today and seems to be pretty much the same as everyone else's. Case number is 737718, case tube has no external gasket. The watch is running fine so far and keeping good time. I am a complete Rolex 'virgin' and I honestly hadn't a clue what to expect. My only previous experience with a Sub was an MBW with a full package of mods including a gen crown & tube. The gen Triploc crown arrangement felt better than this does so maybe an upgrade is in order. The crystal retaining ring isn't a tight fit on the crystal but is snug on the bezel. As a result the whole bezel arrangement, including the crystal retaining ring, lifts off easily as one complete unit. Does this mean that I will need a new crystal with thicker sides to grip the retaining ring in order that the bezel will be secure? Best source? Also need a nicer bezel insert / pearl. Again best source anyone? Is the brushed finish on the lug tops correct - I know that they should be brushed but should this finish be more refined, similar to the sides of an Omega SMP?

Overall I like this, particularly for the price, and it gives me the chance to try a non-Rollie Sub. If I can easily secure the bezel the way it ought to be then I will stick it on a Nato and see how we can get along. The bezel is a priority because it is liable to get lost if left like it is.

My Tudor arrived today and seems to be pretty much the same as everyone else's. Case number is 737718, case tube has no external gasket. The watch is running fine so far and keeping good time. I am a complete Rolex 'virgin' and I honestly hadn't a clue what to expect. My only previous experience with a Sub was an MBW with a full package of mods including a gen crown & tube. The gen Triploc crown arrangement felt better than this does so maybe an upgrade is in order. The crystal retaining ring isn't a tight fit on the crystal but is snug on the bezel. As a result the whole bezel arrangement, including the crystal retaining ring, lifts off easily as one complete unit. Does this mean that I will need a new crystal with thicker sides to grip the retaining ring in order that the bezel will be secure? Best source? Also need a nicer bezel insert / pearl. Again best source anyone? Is the brushed finish on the lug tops correct - I know that they should be brushed but should this finish be more refined, similar to the sides of an Omega SMP?

Overall I like this, particularly for the price, and it gives me the chance to try a non-Rollie Sub. If I can easily secure the bezel the way it ought to be then I will stick it on a Nato and see how we can get along. The bezel is a priority because it is liable to get lost if left like it is.

Get a good set of digital calipers or analog. Then go to a local watchmaker to order. It seems the only issue I have seen is the retaining ring being about 1/2 mm too big.

Of course, pics are mandatory :p

• 7 years later...

7 years on............

I have started to tidy out my watch drawers and boxes with a view to getting some projects completed and selling others to fund the process. The idea is that I will keep some of the higher end frankens, together with my gens, and let the rest go.

I have now found this one that I had totally forgotten about. It was bought 7 years ago and, as I recall, a few other members did also. It’s a Tudor 7016/0, (serial no 737718) with a small rose dial and what appears to be a genuine ETA 2483. When it arrived it had a poor bezel insert and I purchased a new, genuine one, but that didn’t look right in the ‘older’ watch. It has ended up lying in a drawer, without an insert and has been forgotten about for years. It’s still going strong and really should get some love.

I have tried to do a search to see what others ended up doing to theirs but so far I have drawn a blank. Can anyone advise the best course of action to make this more convincing? I have never got involved with Rolex/Tudor reps and am at a bit of a loss of what to do. I’m thinking that it should be serviced and get the dial & hands ‘vintage’ lumed, add a suitable ‘aged’ bezel insert, possibly without any ‘pip’, gen crown & tube etc. Any advice, or pointers to a thread where others upgraded the same rep, would be much appreciated. Better still would be a suggestion of a modder who would be best to sort this out for me. While I’m not really into Rolex or Tudor I don’t want to end up putting this back in the drawer for another 7 or 8 years.

Edited by PAMman

OK, I've just found one of the threads where these were originally discussed;

It's a bit depressing to realise that this is actually a great rep and I never did anything with it.

Just to confirm how good it is, the local Rolex AD ordered and supplied the new bezel insert after inspecting it.

Edited by PAMman

OK, I've just found one of the threads where these were originally discussed;

It's a bit depressing to realise that this is actually a great rep and I never did anything with it.

Just to confirm how good it is, the local Rolex AD ordered and supplied the new bezel insert after inspecting it.

nice - i'm withdrawing mine for sale.

I just dug up the old thread and realise its likely from the sale batch. Different serials, etc.

Worth alot more now too! hold on to it!

Edited by marrickvilleboy