When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2834-2 Movement in a Sub?

Gadget Man

Guys,

I have just opened up one of my old two tone subs that's still going strong after approx 3.5 years but it needs a new tube/crown as the threads have worn.

Anyway, When I bought it I understaood it had an ETA 2836-2 movement but I have just looked and it's a 2834-2 (the case has the serial P863698 and the case has lug holes).

On the movement between the 2834-2 and before the ETA trademark I can make out what looks like the letters VBY and underneath that is AO then to the right of the ETA symbol are the letters AR with what looks like the number 2169 under that?

Can anyone tell me anything about either this movement or this model of case?

I have tried to take some photo's but they all came out blurred :mellow:

I've not come accross 2834-2's being fitted in Rolex reps before only 2836-2's but I'm no expert, would this be a better movement or is it just the same as a 2836-2 essentially (it looks identical)?

Cheers

Simon

Functionally similar, but differing sizes

ETA 2834-2

Dia - 29mm

Height - 5.25mm

Day located around perimeter of movement at 12 o'clock (if you are building a DayDate rep, this is the 1 you want to use).

ETA 2836-2

Dia - 25.6mm

Height - 5.05mm

Day located adjacent to date at 3 o'clock.

Both - automatic 28.8k bph with 40 hour power reserve, hacking, sweep second with quickset day/date. I believe both are currently still in production.

I have a 2834-2 in my franken 16800. As freddy says, it should be a 29mm movement, but if the day feature isn't used, I think it may be possible to essentially make it a 25.6mm movement- the ring along the outside is removed along with the day feature. So it becomes something similar to a 2836. Mine originally came out of a C-omex Submariner- a Sub knock-off. Like so many things in the CN rep world, there's no real logic for what the Chinese do, I guess.

Ironically, I have a Rolex Day-Date rep and they use a 2836, but move the day feature to the outside perimeter- why not just use a 2834-2? But they don't.

BTW, my C-omex is about 3+ years old- or was. The case was made into another Sub and the movement went into the franken 16800, mainly because it had the older datewheel with the open 6's and 9's.

Like so many things in the CN rep world, there's no real logic for what the Chinese do, I guess.

I think the Chinese just use whatever movements they have on hand or are able to get for the best price. There does not appear to be any forethought put into the parts used, which is why each factory's version of the same watch often differs. Then, they just find ways to make things fit as best they can.

The movements are identical with the exception of two parts.

1.) The fitted enlargement ring on the 2834-2 to support the Day disc. This is just a plastic ring that attaches to the mainplate and brings the diameter out to 29mm from 25.6mm.

2.) The date discs are different. The 2834-2 date disc sits lower on the movement. It is 0.43mm thick when measured with the calipers. This is so it can operate below the Day disc witout interference. The date disc on the 2836-2 is 0.63mm thick and it sits flush with the day disc.

**Franken building tip** When using a 2892-A2, swap a 2834-2 disc for the 2892-A2 disc. Sand down the top to bring the thickness down to 0.40mm. Glue your genuine Rolex disc to this and you will have flawless trouble free date function in your franken. The 2892-A2 disc sits slightly recessed in the mainplate and you run the risk of the glued on date disc rubbing on the movement. If you swap to the taller 2834-2 disc, it give a slight clearance over the movement so the disc does not rub.