When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Montbrilliant Datora Review

436NR

As promised I said I would post a review.

I have a gen Datora with Havana dial, so I used that one as a benchmark for this rep. I have to say that this rep is beautiful! But like all reps its still a rep. There are some subtle differences that you really have to look hard to see.

The first and biggest thing is the AR. When they said "light AR", they really meant it!

post-17337-1225481577_thumb.jpg

I also noticed that the day and month font are bolder on the gen than on the rep. You'll also notice on the Nav wheel that the markers do not go all the way the edge as in the gen.

post-17337-1225481859_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225481874_thumb.jpg

The next difference I found was in the case itself. The Gen as two steps down towards the case back on the side. The second step has a concave slope to is versus square steps on the rep.

post-17337-1225482107_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225482121_thumb.jpg

The weight feels the same as the gen however you can actually hear the rotor and see the watch wobble on the wrist when its spinning around.

Alll in all, the craftmanship is impressive and I really would not have known it was a rep if I didn't know better. It is a beautiful watch! Feels good on the wrist and the white?silver color is good. I'm very happy with this Datora.

I sync'd the rep with the gen and after 24 hours the rep is running 30 sec faster. Not bad!

Below are some more picks. Enjoy!

post-17337-1225486395_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486408_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486435_thumb.jpg

post-17337-1225486457_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486472_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486480_thumb.jpg

Well, that was my first attempt at a review.

Thanks gang! Glad to do it!

Yeah, the AR really needs to be better. They gave it a light AR on one side. The Gen has a double AR. I love the double AR that Breitling does on the gen.

The markers on the nav wheel start to deviate at 11 and are a half a mark off from that point. I forgot to mention that although the bezel rotates smoothly it is easier to rotate than the gen. the gen has much more resistance so that when you align the markers when doing calculations they stay put.

I purchased this one from replica-time.com. It appears they get their reps from the same place that perfect clones (Joshua) gets theirs. They have the same descriptions and same selections. Shipping is included in the price so the prices are a bit more.

Edited by 436NR

Thanks for the review! Side-by-side with the genuine is really useful! :)

I note that the replica has circular lume dots in the squares, while the gen has filled the square with lume. It is a minor difference though compared with the slide rule markings.

All in all a very nice watch, which I am very tempted to buy! I remember my feeling when it hit the market last summer! :lol: Impressive piece!

Well, I've had this watch for a week now and I gotta tell you it's running pretty well. I hacked it on Monday to the atomic clock and it's only running about 15 sec slow. No real issues. However, I did notice that the lumes are not as bright as the gen.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at the gen. The squares are white and it may just look like they filled the squares. The White face has black squares. That may make the dot stand out. I'll take a look with an eye loop.

Nice review, thanks a lot!

A long time ago I replied for some sub dial information: I wanted to purchase the black dial version but Iam not really sure whether the subdials are slightly sunken and do have concentric rings as the real deal?

Perhaps somebody can tell me or post a nice pic?

Thanks!

Nice review, thanks a lot!

A long time ago I replied for some sub dial information: I wanted to purchase the black dial version but Iam not really sure whether the subdials are slightly sunken and do have concentric rings as the real deal?

Perhaps somebody can tell me or post a nice pic?

Thanks!

I'm fairly certain that all the Datoras have sunken dials with concentric rings. When you look at the Havana gen dial it doesn't look like it, but when you look real close it does.

Thanks!

I have to tell you guys that I've been treating the rep with kid's gloves especially after learning about the sensitivity of the Asian 7750. The gens are built to take a pounding and still keep their aesthetics and accuracy. I'm a former mil aviator and know how to use a flight computer. But despite the Nav wheels on the gens being accurate they are not practical or even usable in flight. It's just a badge that id's you as a pilot. I use mine now while cruising on the boat for planning purposes.

The reps are just not reliable as a professional instrument. All they do is make you look like you have a few $$$. This watch looks great and actually holds time well. That's all that 99.99% of us really need from it.

• 1 month later...

Is this the one you sell on your website? I'm very interested in this watch and am trying to find a good one. What is the movement on this watch? Asia or EVA?

Thanks in advance for the reply.

As promised I said I would post a review.

I have a gen Datora with Havana dial, so I used that one as a benchmark for this rep. I have to say that this rep is beautiful! But like all reps its still a rep. There are some subtle differences that you really have to look hard to see.

The first and biggest thing is the AR. When they said "light AR", they really meant it!

post-17337-1225481577_thumb.jpg

I also noticed that the day and month font are bolder on the gen than on the rep. You'll also notice on the Nav wheel that the markers do not go all the way the edge as in the gen.

post-17337-1225481859_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225481874_thumb.jpg

The next difference I found was in the case itself. The Gen as two steps down towards the case back on the side. The second step has a concave slope to is versus square steps on the rep.

post-17337-1225482107_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225482121_thumb.jpg

The weight feels the same as the gen however you can actually hear the rotor and see the watch wobble on the wrist when its spinning around.

Alll in all, the craftmanship is impressive and I really would not have known it was a rep if I didn't know better. It is a beautiful watch! Feels good on the wrist and the white?silver color is good. I'm very happy with this Datora.

I sync'd the rep with the gen and after 24 hours the rep is running 30 sec faster. Not bad!

Below are some more picks. Enjoy!

post-17337-1225486395_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486408_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486435_thumb.jpg

post-17337-1225486457_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486472_thumb.jpgpost-17337-1225486480_thumb.jpg

Well, that was my first attempt at a review.

Thanks for your help!

Steve52

Thanks for the review!

Could you please align the slide rule on the rep to 60=60 to see how much the markers are off?

Thanks!

Greetz.

Edited by Steve52

Andrew, I'm very interested in getting one of these watches (Montbrillant Datora). Where would you suggest I look for the best versions? Is the Swiss version worth the additional cost? Thanks for your help!

The slide rule markings not going all the way to the dial is such a blatant flaw on this one. You see that on the cheapest canal street reps. Aside from that, it is a really beautiful watch. I love the silvery white face!